Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question for all you renters with dogs

A question for all you renters with dogs

Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:57 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default A question for all you renters with dogs

Hi

We are planning to rent in Brisbane when we get there. Having chatted to a few agents and scanned the net, we see that dogs are not a problem but they must be outside. The agents we have spoken to have said we will have to sign a contract saying the dog will never go in the house.
Our dog is really well behaved and being 1/2 poodle barely moults, and she is used to being allowed in the house.
So what I would like to know is how many of you out there said you would keep your dog outside and have then let them in without the agent/owner knowing, and is this a big risk to take? has anyone been caught out? Or is it a rule they sort of know gets broken and as long as there is no damage you should be ok.
Any tips for negotiating a pet friendly rental or agents to try. Looking at Narangba or possibly North Lakes.

Thanks
Paula
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:01 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for all you renters with dogs

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Hi

We are planning to rent in Brisbane when we get there. Having chatted to a few agents and scanned the net, we see that dogs are not a problem but they must be outside. The agents we have spoken to have said we will have to sign a contract saying the dog will never go in the house.
Our dog is really well behaved and being 1/2 poodle barely moults, and she is used to being allowed in the house.
So what I would like to know is how many of you out there said you would keep your dog outside and have then let them in without the agent/owner knowing, and is this a big risk to take? has anyone been caught out? Or is it a rule they sort of know gets broken and as long as there is no damage you should be ok.
Any tips for negotiating a pet friendly rental or agents to try. Looking at Narangba or possibly North Lakes.

Thanks
Paula
why bother?

if the landlord has asked NO DOGS INSIDE then leave the bloody dog outside

If you disagree, buy a house...

Acreage homes in Narangba , Morayfield etc probably more lax tho..

North Lakes NO CHNACE letting your dog inside ... i would have thought !
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:04 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
why bother?

If you disagree, buy a house...

Acreage homes in Narangba , Morayfield etc probably more lax tho..

North Lakes NO CHNACE letting your dog inside ... i would have thought !

I was just asking don't get your knickers in a twist!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:05 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Im not..

If you are renting someone elses home, and they have asked NO DOGS inside.. but pets allowed outside, then surely it isnt much to respect that is it??

Most rentals, allow NO PETS inside

Acreage Homes tend to be more leniant..
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

He wears knickers ow i say!!!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:10 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Your tone suggested otherwise.

And she is not a bloody dog she is our family dog whom we love dearly and have to take account of in this move.

We would love to buy straight away but due to things I have no intention of sharing with all and sundry we can't.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:30 am
skye

We have two dogs and thought we would never leave them outside, but they have got used to it and if anything love it! - they stay in the garage when we are at work and just chill in the garden when we are home as we are outside with them most of the time. Our landlord would give us 2 weeks notice to find somewhere else and would keep our bond ($1600) if they were found to be in the house..... trust me they will get used to it!

Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:33 am
Banned

Your tone suggested otherwise.

And she is not a bloody dog she is our family dog whom we love dearly and have to take account of in this move.

We would love to buy straight away but due to things I have no intention of sharing with all and sundry we can't.

Well.. no tone implied

However.. if you are gonna rent.. then dont rent somewhere that indicates NO PETS INSIDE ...

If you have designs on having your pet inside, and breaking the rules.

Look for somewhere that allows pets.. few and far between, and smell like ghandis flipflop

Now imagine, you have just built a beaut home, and need to rent it, as selling is not quite right at the mo, your moving interstate.. and express to the agent, no pets inside..

and somebody rents the home, and doesnt respect your wishes... not nice huh?

< pet lover.. so dont get me wrong.. but dont let pets in a rental, that has strict instructions no pets allowed. dont even look for angles, its not fair.

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Nov 5th 2007 at 6:36 am.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by skye
We have two dogs and thought we would never leave them outside, but they have got used to it and if anything love it! - they stay in the garage when we are at work and just chill in the garden when we are home as we are outside with them most of the time. Our landlord would give us 2 weeks notice to find somewhere else and would keep our bond ($1600) if they were found to be in the house..... trust me they will get used to it!
I agree, garage is fine... even to a degree is the laundry,,, at a REAL PUSH
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

We have an agreement with our land lord.....although on our lease it says 'outside dogs' we've agree'd that they can be inside dogs and when we're out theyre in a huge crate, he also knows that any damage done will be repaired.
Good luck
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:46 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Originally Posted by skye

Thanks for that.

Thing is she is shut outside most days anyway (when we are at work), in fact unless its freezing cold when we are out of the house so is she and it would be the same over there.
At night she has always been in the house though, we used to shut her in the garage but she would always poo as soon as we let her in the house, no problems, never pooed.
I suppose what i am worried about is how to stop her from running in when the doors are open as she is used to having free access, she only has a poodle brain and I am sure will find it very confusing!!! I am worried we could get caught out even though we are trying to get it right.

Paula
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:51 am
Banned

Thanks for that.

Thing is she is shut outside most days anyway (when we are at work), in fact unless its freezing cold when we are out of the house so is she and it would be the same over there.
At night she has always been in the house though, we used to shut her in the garage but she would always poo as soon as we let her in the house, no problems, never pooed.
I suppose what i am worried about is how to stop her from running in when the doors are open as she is used to having free access, she only has a poodle brain and I am sure will find it very confusing!!! I am worried we could get caught out even though we are trying to get it right.

Paula
Then the key is to find a rental that allows pets in the house..

What area are you looking at, specifically... narangba or north lakes? and we will happily have a look for some pet friendly rentals
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:52 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Originally Posted by hilary6
We have an agreement with our land lord.....although on our lease it says 'outside dogs' we've agree'd that they can be inside dogs and when we're out theyre in a huge crate, he also knows that any damage done will be repaired.
Good luck

Thanks

Something like this would be good for us too. She would only be in the house when we were. I would quite like to get her sleeping in the laundry anyway. We don't have one here and she used to go in the garage but after a spell in kennels when we were on holiday she started pooing on the floor in the garage. I can only assume it was because the concrete floor was the same as she had to use in kennels, as she is fine in the house. Either that or it was a dirty protest!!!

Paula
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Hi

Renting with pets is a joke, as when you leave the place you have to get the carpets cleaned and de-fleaed!!! So much for not having dogs inside. You will find that most of the time the dogs stay outside anyway, but our springer was always allowed in when we were home and at night.

Angela
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:58 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Then the key is to find a rental that allows pets in the house..

What area are you looking at, specifically... narangba or north lakes? and we will happily have a look for some pet friendly rentals

Thankyou for the offer, but I think we are ok at the moment. Narangba is 1st choice at the moment.
Our move is becoming very difficult this end with some huge unforseen complications and our Oz employers are pushing for a start date very soon. Its all becoming very stressful and complicated, I am really just looking for reassurance and the chance to put some queries to rest.

Thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.