Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about when your age is assessed from.

Wikiposts

Question about when your age is assessed from.

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:32 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about when your age is assessed from.

Originally posted by GeorgeW
I'm 39 yrs 1 mth old and would assume that if I applied for a visa I'd be over 40 by the time anything came through. My question is..
At what point do the authorities assess your age?
If it is from the time you first make an application I'll be on 115 points. If not i'll be on 110 points and have to consider the investment option (which I'd be able to do)

Thank you for replying.

Age is taken from submission date only, as you've probably gleaned by now.

I did use an agent - very good and the agency was well up on the skills assessment. I'm in IT.
Cost was 1500'ish. Half up front , half on time of final application.
Saved a lot of headaches.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeorgeW
Been looking online at house prices and locations, and we are not actually looking to live in one of the cities but within 30-40 miles of one. After living in London where most people take around an hour to get to work, I can accept being semi in the sticks. Here is an axample of what could be bought and is within 10 miles of the city.

house example

George, I think it is important to realise that "In the sticks in OZ" does not mean an hours drive from a City or town or Coastal area that people want to live in. It is a position that is in a remote or rural area. In OZ this is more likely to be a couple of days drive from major Cities or Coast, you could be lucky tho and end up with a country town only four or five hours drive.

Oz's population is highly concentrated into several major areas and Cities, your example of a house 14 klms from a City would be nowhere like remote or rural, but very close to the prime positons that everyone wants.

The ones who have done their time outback are given 'the right' to get the jobs in Cities etc. I'd check with the state you are going to for their rules on this.

Megalania did some brilliant maps on here regarding population spread and distance. A search should bring them up.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:28 am
Just Joined

GeorgeW is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Been looking online at house prices and locations, and we are not actually looking to live in one of the cities but within 30-40 miles of one. After living in London where most people take around an hour to get to work, I can accept being semi in the sticks. Here is an axample of what could be bought and is within 10 miles of the city.

house example

George, I think it is important to realise that "In the sticks in OZ" does not mean an hours drive from a City or town or Coastal area that people want to live in. It is a position that is in a remote or rural area. In OZ this is more likely to be a couple of days drive from major Cities or Coast, you could be lucky tho and end up with a country town only four or five hours drive.

Oz's population is highly concentrated into several major areas and Cities, your example of a house 14 klms from a City would be nowhere like remote or rural, but very close to the prime positons that everyone wants.

The ones who have done their time outback are given 'the right' to get the jobs in Cities etc. I'd check with the state you are going to for their rules on this.

Megalania did some brilliant maps on here regarding population spread and distance. A search should bring them up.
The site that I did a search on actually states how far in km it is from the nearest city. The ones I had a look at were all withing 40km of a city and seemed pretty good value considering this is barely 20 minutes away in a car. I take 30mins to get to work in London and my job is in my Borough. Have had jobs that took well over an hour. So the need to be smack bang in a city is not what I want. When you spend 11 years in London you kind of get to the point where you can be cit..ified.

Not ready for a 2 day drive from a corner shop : )
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

The site that I did a search on actually states how far in km it is from the nearest city. The ones I had a look at were all withing 40km of a city and seemed pretty good value considering this is barely 20 minutes away in a car. I take 30mins to get to work in London and my job is in my Borough. Have had jobs that took well over an hour. So the need to be smack bang in a city is not what I want. When you spend 11 years in London you kind of get to the point where you can be cit..ified.

Not ready for a 2 day drive from a corner shop : )

Sorry George, I should have explained myself better. I was taking into account Larissas comments that about teaching jobs mostly being in the sticks. I assumed you knew about the Country Service thing in most states (Thats why I said check with your State). Basically it means Most Teachers have to do about 3 years in rural/remote areas before being selected for the plum positions that everybody wants in Coastal and City areas. Hence my comments about the rural remote areas being a bit more than a hours drive in OZ terms.

Basically it boils down to everybody wants to be in the same bits especially City/Coast, many States have to enforce Country Service to make sure the rural positions get filled, I dont know if SA has this rule but it may be worth checking, even if it does not, I bet most Teachers are still chasing the same old bits and leaving the remote bits with the jobs begging. All I ment was check it out cause "Country" OZ is a bit further out than hopping in from Surrey everyday.

Last edited by dotty; Nov 2nd 2003 at 10:46 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:17 am
Just Joined

GeorgeW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Sorry George, I should have explained myself better. I was taking into account Larissas comments that about teaching jobs mostly being in the sticks. I assumed you knew about the Country Service thing in most states (Thats why I said check with your State). Basically it means Most Teachers have to do about 3 years in rural/remote areas before being selected for the plum positions that everybody wants in Coastal and City areas. Hence my comments about the rural remote areas being a bit more than a hours drive in OZ terms.

Basically it boils down to everybody wants to be in the same bits especially City/Coast, many States have to enforce Country Service to make sure the rural positions get filled, I dont know if SA has this rule but it may be worth checking, even if it does not, I bet most Teachers are still chasing the same old bits and leaving the remote bits with the jobs begging. All I ment was check it out cause "Country" OZ is a bit further out than hopping in from Surrey everyday.
That explains your comments. Thanks for the info. If that is the case then I'd have to contemplate moving to the 'sticks' for a while. But I could do some supply teaching days along with an online personal training business that I run from my website

My online training website

Due to my teaching in the Uk I have to turn away quite a lot of business, but could do this as well. With no pmortgage to pay the need to work a regular 9-5 is not essential. Should have enough money to last a couple of years anyway.