Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about UK state pension !

Question about UK state pension !

Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Dr Spock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about UK state pension !

Hi Everyone, new member here! Will be moving to Melbourne in March on a salary of around $80 000 - $90 000. Don't know what sort of lifestyle I can expect on that amount but i'm single and will be coming out alone.

But my question is this! Does anyone know if you can still pay into the UK state pension scheme if you emigrate ? To reap the full benefits of the pension you need to continuously pay into it until you reach 65. I would like the security of knowing I would recieve a full state pension in old age!

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice
Default Re: Question about UK state pension !

I'm pretty sure you can; you should call the Department in Newcastle to make sure. I don't know how old you are now but you can get a pension forecast from them and they will tell you how to make up any shortfall.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dr Spock
Hi Everyone, new member here! Will be moving to Melbourne in March on a salary of around $80 000 - $90 000. Don't know what sort of lifestyle I can expect on that amount but i'm single and will be coming out alone.

But my question is this! Does anyone know if you can still pay into the UK state pension scheme if you emigrate ? To reap the full benefits of the pension you need to continuously pay into it until you reach 65. I would like the security of knowing I would recieve a full state pension in old age!

Thanks!
Yes you can,E mail the pensions dept in longbenton and ask for a pension forecast.You need 44 yrs full contributions for a full pension,possibly changing to 30 yrs in the near future.

11 yrs gets you around 25% of the pension.there is no cost of living increase when you start drawing the pension. IE if you retired today and the pension is 80 quid then you get 80 quid a week for the rest of your life,unless you go to the UK on holiday,then you will get fll pension for your period in the UK.

Under present rules the 80 quid could reduce your means tested OZ pension,centrelink web site will give you details of income/asets tests for the OZ pension.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder

then you get 80 quid a week for the rest of your life,unless you go to the UK on holiday,then you will get fll pension for your period in the UK.

U
...Or any other country where it isn't frozen, eg EU, USA, Bermuda
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
...Or any other country where it isn't frozen, eg EU, USA, Bermuda
That's an interesting point,never thought of that.

A pay rise if you go on holiday to the US,do the DHSS need proof? I suppose they would have no reason to disallow it if they pay it when on holiday in the UK.

Sadly for me and the cook thesame applies to Thailand,no cost of living increases.

Thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I was wrong about USA and Bermuda, correct list here

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/pe...nes_index2.htm

See 'Rights while travelling'