Reload this Page >

Question about telephones?

Question about telephones?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about telephones?

Can someone please advise
I am bringing down a couple of phones. I believe as long as i can unplug my lead (from phone to socket in wall) and replace with an Aussie one I should be ok. I believe in Aus the bit that plugs into the wall is the same size as the bit that plugs into the back of the phone.
Does this sound right or am I ringing the wrong number???
Help 6 weeks and counting!!
Old Aug 12th 2002, 3:12 pm
ndaltonb

Default Re: Question about telephones?

Jasmin,

It would be highly unlikely that a UK or Jersey phone would work in AUS. Countries are very particular about what you plug into their phone networks so my advice would be to ditch the UK phones and buy some Aussie ones when you get there. The wiring could also be quite different.

Nigel db

Originally posted by jasmin:
I am bringing down a couple of phones. I believe as long as i can unplug my lead (from phone to socket in wall) and replace with an Aussie one I should be ok. I believe in Aus the bit that plugs into the wall is the same size as the bit that plugs into the back of the phone.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:54 pm
Graham Wood

You need to do a little rewiring on the cable running from the wall to the phone to
get it to work. Its not just a case of plugging it in. If you hunt around the
newsgroups you will find a link to a web page with all the info you need. I cannot
remember what it is at present.

I am sure if you ask some one will have the url you need.

ndaltonb wrote:

> Jasmin,
    > It would be highly unlikely that a UK or Jersey phone would work in AUS. Countries
    > are very particular about what you plug into their phone networks so my advice
    > would be to ditch the UK phones and buy some Aussie ones when you get there. The
    > wiring could also be quite different.
    > Nigel db
    > Originally posted by jasmin:
    > > Can someone please advise I am bringing down a couple of phones. I believe as
    > > long as i can unplug my lead (from phone to socket in wall) and replace with an
    > > Aussie one I should be ok. I believe in Aus the bit that plugs into the wall is
    > > the same size as the bit that plugs into the back of the phone. Does this sound
    > > right or am I ringing the wrong number???
    > --
    > ndaltonb
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:18 am
Ian Guy

UK one's work fine in NZ without any adapter (and also Malaysia and Singapore) -
don't know about Oz though.

"Graham Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You need to do a little rewiring on the cable running from the wall to the phone to
    > get it to work. Its not just a case of plugging it in. If you
hunt
    > around the newsgroups you will find a link to a web page with all the info you
    > need. I cannot remember what it is at present.
    > I am sure if you ask some one will have the url you need.
    > ndaltonb wrote:
    > > Jasmin,
    > >
    > > It would be highly unlikely that a UK or Jersey phone would work in AUS.
    > > Countries are very particular about what you plug into their phone networks so my
    > > advice would be to ditch the UK phones and buy some Aussie ones when you get
    > > there. The wiring could also be quite different.
    > >
    > > Nigel db
    > >
    > > Originally posted by jasmin:
    > > > Can someone please advise I am bringing down a couple of phones. I believe as
    > > > long as i can unplug my lead (from phone to socket in wall) and replace with an
    > > > Aussie one I should be ok. I believe in Aus the bit that plugs into the wall
    > > > is the same size as the bit that plugs into the back of the phone. Does this
    > > > sound right or am I ringing the wrong number???
    > >
    > > --
    > > ndaltonb
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:58 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Question about telephones?

We have some DECT cordless phones bought in Germany & the UK, which we were thinking of selling (probably for pennies). Any idea if the DECT technology works in Oz, if we change the cables from the phone to the wall ?

Incidentally, I can't find any reference to DECT on any Oz websites...

Cheers,
Paul.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Guy:
UK one's work fine in NZ without any adapter (and also Malaysia and Singapore) -
don't know about Oz though.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Norm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: Question about telephones?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pread:
We have some DECT cordless phones bought in Germany & the UK, which we were thinking of selling (probably for pennies). Any idea if the DECT technology works in Oz, if we change the cables from the phone to the wall ?

Incidentally, I can't find any reference to DECT on any Oz websites...

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul

Tim Sorrell had an excellent web site in Oz that covered this kind of thing and he managed to get his DECT phone working by swapping 2 wires in the cable. This would probably be frowned upon by the phone company (but I'll be taking mine).

I cant access his web page at the moment for some reason.
http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

Norm.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about telephones?

The cabling of DECT phones to the socket is the same as for any phone.

DECT phones will work just as well in Oz as they do in the UK. However, as far as I know, the UK models operate in a bandwidth not sanctioned for consumer use in Australia. They are therefore illegal and will be confistcated by Australian customs. This has happened to a friend of mine when he tried to take a cordless phone through Melbourne airport. Check the Oz customs www for more details.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:10 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about telephones?

I guess we'll sell them then ! Cheers for the info.

Paul.

Originally posted by etlniwd:
The cabling of DECT phones to the socket is the same as for any phone.

DECT phones will work just as well in Oz as they do in the UK. However, as far as I know, the UK models operate in a bandwidth not sanctioned for consumer use in Australia. They are therefore illegal and will be confistcated by Australian customs. This has happened to a friend of mine when he tried to take a cordless phone through Melbourne airport. Check the Oz customs www for more details.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jasmin:
Help 6 weeks and counting!!
I believe that you can be hit with something like a AUD$12,000 fine for using any equipment that is not AUSTEL approved on an Australian telecommunications network. The chances of getting caught are however quite low.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Devlin:

I believe that you can be hit with something like a AUD$12,000 fine for using any equipment that is not AUSTEL approved on an Australian telecommunications network. The chances of getting caught are however quite low.

We were taking our BT cordless ones, we have two that work off the same box cost £95.00 and are only 12 months old(probably get £10 for them at a car boot) . Darren seems to think that BT are in Australia too so I guess I could phone up BT and ask them if they're compatiable and if there's a risk in using them out there.

If I get any useful info I'll let you know!
Julie
Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I may have been too hasty with my previous statement.

After some investigation it seems that DECT was approved for use by the Australian Communications Authority on 1st July 2001 (see http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/cordless.htm for details).

As long as your phone operates to DECT standards in th 1880 - 1900 Mhz band it should be legal. That's my interpretation anyway. I wonder if Australian Customs are aware of this ruling.

Cheers
Nick

P.S My DECT was going to be binned or donated to a relative - now I'm not so sure
Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Julie, I would be grateful if you would
we have just sealed the last of the boxes with the phones inside and its not easy to get back to them to remove them!
I don't mind so much taking them unneccesarily but I don't want to get a blinking fine too!

Originally posted by Juls:

We were taking our BT cordless ones, we have two that work off the same box cost £95.00 and are only 12 months old(probably get £10 for them at a car boot) . Darren seems to think that BT are in Australia too so I guess I could phone up BT and ask them if they're compatiable and if there's a risk in using them out there.

If I get any useful info I'll let you know!
Julie
Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:22 pm
Slipstream

phones cost between 15 for a one piece to 150 dollars for a mid range transportable
here. They all have Australian type approval stickers on and are free from the 10000
dollar fine for having illegal phones on the oz network.........

Bring your russel hobbs kettle if you have room!

"ndaltonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jasmin,
    > It would be highly unlikely that a UK or Jersey phone would work in AUS. Countries
    > are very particular about what you plug into their phone networks so my advice
    > would be to ditch the UK phones and buy some Aussie ones when you get there. The
    > wiring could also be quite different.
    > Nigel db
    > Originally posted by jasmin:
    > > Can someone please advise I am bringing down a couple of phones. I believe as
    > > long as i can unplug my lead (from phone to socket in wall) and replace with an
    > > Aussie one I should be ok. I believe in Aus the bit that plugs into the wall is
    > > the same size as the bit that plugs into the back of the phone. Does this sound
    > > right or am I ringing the wrong number???
    > --
    > ndaltonb
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Russell Hobbs kettles? I'm just about to buy a new kettle...