Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question about spiders & kids

A question about spiders & kids

Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about spiders & kids

Originally Posted by Kapri
Neither my OH or I are afraid of spiders and will quite happily pick them up or live with them in the room etc. As a result, our kids are not particularly bothered by them either.
However, in the UK we know they are not aggressive or poisonous so there's no need to be worried.

I have just been reading up on the Sydney Funnel web spider which is both aggressive and poisonous and I'm wondering how to broach the subject with the kids. I don't want to frighten them but at the same time, they need to know that there are certain spiders that can't be touched and should probably be removed if they are in the house.
At the same time, if the spider is harmless I would like to leave it alone so it can eat flies, cockroaches etc

Do you recognise the different species of spider? Do you remove them if they are poisonous and if so, how?
Well I'm no expert but the simplest thing to say is "just don't touch spiders". Especially if they are big.

Identifying spiders isn't easy for adults, let alone kids.

The funnelweb is the only really dangerous spider here. There are others that are poisonous but not deadly.

Funnelwebs are big and black*. So steer clear of big chunky black spiders and you should be ok.

*except for the babies. Which are small.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:29 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.spiders.com.au/
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:42 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I wouldn't be too concerned about Funnel Webs, either.

I've lived in Sydney for 33 years. I've never seen one ever and no-one I know has ever seen one. And I can count the number of red backs I've seen on one hand.

Dangerous spiders really don't impact daily life too much. Just tell your kids to leave all spiders alone, not to put their hands in dark places and they will be fine.
We had a massive funnel web in our pool a few weeks ago.....at the same time as the kids. I've never seen them swim so fast to get out ever. We live in St Ives which neighbours Pymble and apparently that is the home of the funnel web. VERY nasty looking spider and when I tried to remove it from the pool it reared up at me
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
We had a massive funnel web in our pool a few weeks ago.....at the same time as the kids. I've never seen them swim so fast to get out ever. We live in St Ives which neighbours Pymble and apparently that is the home of the funnel web. VERY nasty looking spider and when I tried to remove it from the pool it reared up at me
Good to see Funnel webs like the posher end of the market if they frequent and are at home somewhere like Snives, they are far too posh to frequent where I am
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Good to see Funnel webs like the posher end of the market if they frequent and are at home somewhere like Snives, they are far too posh to frequent where I am
Believe me, we ain't posh lol
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I think with spiders, like snakes - it's the ones that you can't see which hurt you - good advice about not poking fingers in dodgy places - we have loads of redbacks in our back yard, and I don't always remember to wear gloves which is so stupid - tempting to think 'ah, i'll just pull out that weed' Worst spider situation we have ever encountered is that hubby discovered a huge huntsman under the loo seat (after, ahem, the toilet had been used).
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:18 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Best advice I ever got here about snakes was when walking through the bush never step over a log or fallen tree, step up onto it first and have a good look on the other side before you commit.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
and I don't always remember to wear gloves which is so stupid - tempting to think 'ah, i'll just pull out that weed'
Originally Posted by pomikev
when walking through the bush never step over a log or fallen tree,
I do both with impunity, and stick my hand anywhere it will fit. It will bite me in the arse one day.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
we have loads of redbacks in our back yard, and I don't always remember to wear gloves which is so stupid - tempting to think 'ah, i'll just pull out that weed'
Gloves are good.... Except when a spider is in the gloves in one of the finger bits.

Last edited by canadaeh; Feb 9th 2013 at 10:03 am.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think of gardening without gloves. You can get nasty stings from ants - not just spider bites. And I don't want scratches and cuts getting infected, so gloves just prevent any mishaps. Just strolling round the garden or a walk in the rainforest I'm not going to resort to gloves and boots.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

i've been living in Sydney for 20+ years but yet to come across a funnel web. Seen a few red backs and giant huntsmans, but not much else. My best advice is to check your shoes before putting them on, particularly if the shoes are outside.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
I wouldn't think of gardening without gloves.
How about doing laundry without gloves? This happened this morning:

I was about the hang the wash on the line and thought I'd give the clothes peg basket a rinse out (hey, it's a dustbowl out here) and I noticed a bit of a web stuck to my hand (oh well, loads of webs around here, no biggie).

So, I'm carrying the basket back to the laundry room to rinse it under the tap and out crawls an indignant redback, ticked that I disturbed its repose by soaking it with water and Morning Fresh. It climbed out from amongst the clothes pegs, skittered along the edge of the basket, just missed my fingers, and then I tipped it into the sink and down the drain, complete with a couple of "OMG holy crap" yelps for good measure.

First time in 3.5 years that I've been that close to being bitten...or that I've found one in with my clothes pegs. Great. Gloves while hanging laundry now.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 13th 2013 at 7:51 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
How about doing laundry without gloves? This happened this morning:

First time in 3.5 years that I've been that close to being bitten...or that I've found one in with my clothes pegs. Great. Gloves while hanging laundry now.

Yesterday I drew back the bedroom curtains and found a redback running across the centre of the white window frame in full sun. I turned to pick up the nearest can of Mortein (never too far away) and when I turned back the redback had disappeared. Now I'm worried. Why are there so many around at the moment?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Oh god, I don't even have a fear of spiders but now I have been having nightmares (literally) about them. I don't know if it's because I'm worried about the children or just the fact that they bight and are deadly!!!

I will be so paranoid!! do people check the bed before they get in? how about the car at night? what if you sat on one!!! or what if you get up in the night to go the toilet, I will have to put all the lights on

What is happening to me !!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

Yesterday I drew back the bedroom curtains and found a redback running across the centre of the white window frame in full sun. I turned to pick up the nearest can of Mortein (never too far away) and when I turned back the redback had disappeared. Now I'm worried. Why are there so many around at the moment?
I've never had any inside the house (yet). *Knock on wood* I don't know what I'd do if I found one in the bedroom.

I don't know why there's so many this year either. Maybe they have upswing cycles or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.