Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Question About Short Term Rental Accomidation In Brisbane

A Question About Short Term Rental Accomidation In Brisbane

Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:08 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default A Question About Short Term Rental Accomidation In Brisbane

Hi All,

Just a quick question, we are likely to be moving to Brisbane next may, here is the thing. We are only going to be in Brisbane for around four of five months while i am "in training" for my prospective new job, then we move north. My question is, can anyone give me advice on whether we will be likely to find rental accomidation for such a short duration of lease? Here is the other catch, our two cats will be joining us, can anyone tell me whether rental agencies, landlords tend to be "cat friendly." We would be more than happy to offer extra deposit on the place for pets if they wanted it.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved, including any suggestions of rental agencies. We are just trying to put togethor some kind of "game plan" for the move.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Question About Short Term Rental Accomidation In Brisbane

The rental market is very tight here with 7 or 8 applications for most properties. You might have to take a six month lease and then break it. Most places say no pets. Sorry not to have better news.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:40 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Thanks for the tip Sue, do rental agencies over there make "spot checks" on premises? I was just wondering if we would get away with "smuggling" our cats into a place, seeing as we only have to get away with it for a few months. Its not like they would cause any damage.

Why is there so much competition for rental accomidation?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:16 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=R.Soper]Thanks for the tip Sue, do rental agencies over there make "spot checks" on premises? I was just wondering if we would get away with "smuggling" our cats into a place, seeing as we only have to get away with it for a few months. Its not like they would cause any damage.]

By law they have to give you notice that they are coming, though I probably wouldn't try smuggling in the cats. A BE poster tried it with their dog and almost got turfed out. Signed a longer lease to get out of the jam.

[Why is there so much competition for rental accomidation?]

House prices so high, maybe???
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

There are just more people wanting to rent than places available. Cats may have to go in a cattery short term. Most agencies inspect on a 3 monthly basis and they have to give you plenty of notice. Having said that in our first rental, a 2nd floor apartment, we had a visiting cat. It used to climb up onto the balcony and miaow until we let it in. When we had an inspection we just shut the balcony door and hoped it didn't show up. We had the speech all ready just in case - Oh that bloomin' cat, it won't leave us alone, the last people must have let it in!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:05 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, i am a little bit worried about this i have to say, if either of you know of any rental companies that deal in short term accomidation, which may be pet friendly, it would be very much appreciated if you could get back in touch.

We are not moving until May next year, so maybe the rental situation will have improved by then. But i suspect i am just trying to make myself feel better!

Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: A Question About Short Term Rental Accomidation In Brisbane

Originally Posted by R.Soper
Thanks for the info, i am a little bit worried about this i have to say, if either of you know of any rental companies that deal in short term accomidation, which may be pet friendly, it would be very much appreciated if you could get back in touch.

We are not moving until May next year, so maybe the rental situation will have improved by then. But i suspect i am just trying to make myself feel better!

Cheers
Hi

Do not panic yet!
I can only speak from experience but we arrived in Brisbane on 28th April and had 2 weeks furnished accommodation booked at Dagboys place at Wellington Point.
We knew we wanted to stay in Cleveland and on the day after we arrived I went into all of the real estate agents and they either had places that were too small (we've got 3 kids) or too expensive or that would not accept pets(we shipped out 2 cats).
However we kept looking on realestate.com.au and found a small letting agent based in Cleveland that I had missed and they had 3 properties for us to look at.
The first one was in the right location, the right size, pets were ok and it had a pool!
So within 1 week of arriving we had secured our rental!
It was more than we had originally wanted to pay but as we were the first people to look at it we applied there and then and did not look at the other properties! We were accepted and even though we had cats coming they fitted new carpets in the property and when we bought a silky terrier, it was no problem.
I think it depends on the area of Brisbane you choose will dictate how difficult it is to get a rental.
Phone the letting agents now and get an idea of the current situation and assume it will be the same next May.
You can get 2 and 3 bed rentals, some fully furnished in small complexes that have pools, gyms etc but pets could be a problem there. Try www.seqrents.com.au

HTH

MichaelB
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Is corporate let a consideration for you or do you have to provide your own accommodation during that time?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:50 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Hi There,

Thanks for all the info, we will basically consider anything, due to the fact we are only looking for a place for four months it does not need to be perfect, the only stickler is the cats. We will have to pay for the accomidation, so we don't want to be spending an arm and a leg, we could survive in a one bedroomed with two of us and two cats if we know it is only short term.

I looked at the SQ rental agency, the only problem is most of the properties are unfurnished, but it definately has potential.

I think i will just have to keep researching it all and see what happens.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

Thanks for all the info, we will basically consider anything, due to the fact we are only looking for a place for four months it does not need to be perfect, the only stickler is the cats. We will have to pay for the accomidation, so we don't want to be spending an arm and a leg, we could survive in a one bedroomed with two of us and two cats if we know it is only short term.

I looked at the SQ rental agency, the only problem is most of the properties are unfurnished, but it definately has potential.

I think i will just have to keep researching it all and see what happens.
Have you tried realestate.com etc? It might be cheaper to pay for something that's available for 6 months rather than going for somewhere that's only available for 4 as they're likely to be much more pro-rata. It's worth a look.