Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

Old May 10th 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

Originally Posted by 02737640
When we go over a hotel room is included with my partners job just for a few weeks until we find somewhere to stay. Don't think the hotel would accept our cat though.

I've a feeling that we're going to be doing things wrong going by all your posts. I need somewhere that is pet friendly as I have a indoor cat. Should i forget about a serviced apartment and look for something cheaper? It needs to be fully furnished.
Of course a hotel is not going to take a cat, your cat would be in quarantine for the first month anyway.

You have already been told, apartments are not typically let furnished.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to have trouble with a cat in any apartment. In lots of apartment blocks there's a 'no pets' rule. This is nothing to do with individual landlords not allowing pets in their apartment - it's often a body corporate rule (the organisation of owners) that specifies no pets in the whole block. The rule applies to everyone living there - owners and renters alike.

If you want a pet as a tenant you'd have more luck renting a house.

Renting furnished places is always extortionate in Sydney. There are relatively few furnished places anyway. It's much cheaper to rent unfurnished and there's much more to choose from.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

How much is a fully furnished apartment? Because you can get unfurnished for $400-$500/ week in Lane Cove where I am for a two bed. This is 12 mins on the bus to CBD. If you are looking for bedding etc I would imagine you'd be paying a lot more than that. You can sea freight your own stuff, rent a washing machine and buy some second hand from gumtree or some new cheap stuff from fantastic furniture. Without me sitting doing all the sums, I think you'd be much better off.
I think fantastic or one of them even do complete room packages quite cheaply.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

02737640 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just feel that moving into a fully furnished would be best until we get settled. Even if it's just for a year. Least we know that when we go over we don't have to worry about buying furniture.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

It would certainly be easier yes. If your priority is ease then fine but if finances come into it at all it's not the way to go. It's a year of paying a lot more $ per week so if you're happy with that then fine.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We just feel that moving into a fully furnished would be best until we get settled. Even if it's just for a year. Least we know that when we go over we don't have to worry about buying furniture.
The other solution is to rent furniture to go into an unfurnished property? Pabs rent furniture and you can choose as much or as little you need. They also used to do packages where you just got all the basics for a 1 or 2 bedroom place. That included all the appliances but not the bedlinen if I recall correctly. Then again we used then about 10 years ago so things have probably changed. Bear in mind that it will still work out a lot more expensive than buying cheap furniture packages at Fantastic Furniture and crockery sets at Ikea...
Old May 10th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute

We too are looking at furnished apartments (but in Brisbane) as we are moving over with just our airplane luggage so I understand the OPs point, but we will have two well(ish) paying jobs and no kids. We are prepared to pay a premium simply to arrive, unpack, and get out and explore our new home.

However, our plan after 6 – 12 months in a furnished apartment is to have saved enough to furnish a house/apartment fully. To the OP, you are going to have to purchase furniture and if you are paying a premium for the convenience of a furnished apartment will you be able to put some money aside each month for the future?
Old May 10th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Well to be honest, I think you are mad renting fully furnished. The cost alone, never mind using second hand kitchen stuff and beds etc..
Old May 10th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
The other solution is to rent furniture to go into an unfurnished property? Pabs rent furniture and you can choose as much or as little you need. They also used to do packages where you just got all the basics for a 1 or 2 bedroom place. That included all the appliances but not the bedlinen if I recall correctly. Then again we used then about 10 years ago so things have probably changed. Bear in mind that it will still work out a lot more expensive than buying cheap furniture packages at Fantastic Furniture and crockery sets at Ikea...
I knew id seen this and forgotten its name!! Thanks alot!!
Old May 10th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

02737640 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking on findproperties.com they're much cheaper but not furnished. I'm not sure what to do. Just have to wait and see what happens.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

thepenguins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We came over to sydney and booked into a furnished flat - initially for 3 months to decide what to do and ended up renting for a few months longer before going into unfurnished. It was the best thing as we had opportunity to extend if we wanted until we were ready and also it gave us the opportunity to buy stuff as and when we were able.
We rented through furnishedproperty.com.au and found them really good (was last year). There was a weekly rent plus we had to pay $2 per person per day for our utility bills.
Also there is KMart, Reject Shop, Big W and Ikea which all have pretty good stuff and at a cheap price.
Anyway, whatever you do, all the best - its an exciting time ahead for you :-)
Old May 10th 2012, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

When we go over a hotel room is included with my partners job just for a few weeks until we find somewhere to stay. Don't think the hotel would accept our cat though.

I've a feeling that we're going to be doing things wrong going by all your posts. I need somewhere that is pet friendly as I have a indoor cat. Should i forget about a serviced apartment and look for something cheaper? It needs to be fully furnished.
Hhhmmm ..... I have a feeling what you 'want' and what you can do will change over the next year .... Just saying