Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question about Hoons and hooning.

A question about Hoons and hooning.

Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question about Hoons and hooning.

It's all about INSURANCE ...

They haven't got a F****** clue here.

When you purchase a vehicle here and pay your rego, you are automatically covered. There is no penalty for driving highly powerful cars.

Hence, 17 year old P platers screaming down our street in Holden V8's at 4 in the morning.

If anyone lives in the Northern Suburbs of Perth, please go down Dampier Avenue in Mullaloo and check out the road markings ... just up from the BP garage towards Ocean Reef Road.

Case rested m'lud.

Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs

When you purchase a vehicle here and pay your rego, you are automatically covered. There is no penalty for driving highly powerful cars.

Hence, 17 year old P platers screaming down our street in Holden V8's at 4 in the morning.

If anyone lives in the Northern Suburbs of Perth, please go down Dampier Avenue in Mullaloo and check out the road markings ... just up from the BP garage towards Ocean Reef Road.

Case rested m'lud.

It's a bit different here - P Platers in NSW are restricted in the type of cars they're allowed to drive. They can't drive any car with 8 or more cylinders or even some high-performance 6-cylinder cars. In fact, there's a great long list of cars that they're not allowed.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:14 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Case rested m'lud.

Just up in Burleigh every Friday and Saturday evening we can here the donut boys at work painting the tarmac with their tyres. It goes on and on for hours through the night. In the morning when leaving the estate the evidence is everywhere. Beenleigh and Logan the same, I used to have to drive from Jimboomba to Gold Coast daily and the amount of new donuts on the road was amazing. It is always in a residential area and I can only imagine the cops are safely tucked up in bed away from it all, because someone somewhere must be complaining.....or is that dobbing, which isnt allowed here either.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:23 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Hey, what the hell, I'll return serve (since I'm a 30 something male) ... and some dopey bints applying make-up on the M1 and gabbering on their phones to their witless half-head silicon-injected wannabe Paris mates ... yup, witnessed this morning ...
And the ****ing chimp behind me a few weeks ago eating his cereal at every opportunity he got. :curse:
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Case rested m'lud.

The rego only pays for personal injury to cover medical costs for anyone injured in a motor vehicle accident. A lot of people dont realise this and come unstuck.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
If hooning is such a problem in australia why has something not been done about it?
Shoot at them! A couple of years ago, in my street, police shot at some hoons who'd nicked a car in the middle of the night. We woke with a start and my neighbour a few doors got a bullet hole through his window. Charming. Nice way to restrain theives - it's only a car FFS! To make matters worse, these particular (brain dead) coppers didn't report they'd used their firearm and when it got back to HO subsequently the case was dropped against the hoons. Wankers.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Think a bit of clarification on the rules is required here. Some have written about more general driving transgressions (eating cereal, applying make-up etc) ... others have mentioned young kids in powerful cars doing burn-outs. The first is just an example of shit driving (like the lady I saw on the M4 near Heathrow one day, blow drying her hair ... I shit you not) - the second is, I believe the 'hoon' element doing what hoons do - burning through tyre rubber at silly hours of the night. Seen a fair bit of the first category (in fact, I've been responsible for some of it myself) ... not a whole lot of the second. Is it a city thing or am I just in my usual parallel dimension?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:46 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Think a bit of clarification on the rules is required here. Some have written about more general driving transgressions (eating cereal, applying make-up etc) ... others have mentioned young kids in powerful cars doing burn-outs. The first is just an example of shit driving (like the lady I saw on the M4 near Heathrow one day, blow drying her hair ... I shit you not) - the second is, I believe the 'hoon' element doing what hoons do - burning through tyre rubber at silly hours of the night. Seen a fair bit of the first category (in fact, I've been responsible for some of it myself) ... not a whole lot of the second. Is it a city thing or am I just in my usual parallel dimension?
Clarification of the rules?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is a country where there is a ready large pool of big engined cars. There is the supply.

If legislation worked about engine power there would be no 2nd hand car market at the prices teenagers need.

Forgetting the size of the engine hoons are no different to boy racers and a piece of metal weighing a tonne will make your eyes water anyhow.

It is definitely a problem inthe burbs.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 5th 2007 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:57 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Knowing Oz hooning happens in only particular places and if not widespread the (limited) Oz media will find examples to scare everyone....
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by auspal
In Queensland new laws were recently introduced where anyone caught hooning can have their car confiscated from them, and have to pay storage costs till they get it back. Not sure how long it is confiscated for, but if it happens three times, they have lost the car permanently.

I dont think it is a problem everywhere, hoons congregate in certain areas, ie industrial estates on weekends. They have police scanners I believe so by the time complaints are made and the police head out there, they are off to the next spot.

The Gold Coast has one of the highest rates for confiscating hoon's cars in Queensland.

There are huge fines for screeching the tyres, loss of points etc but they have to be caught first:curse:
I'm pretty certain that the police in Brisbane use Tetra-band encrypted radios - same as UK - so they can't be scanned.

The main problem is the same for police here and in Oz - you have to catch them at it. These lads and ladettes are normally so proud of their cars that they make sure they are all up together and fully documented so its hard to proactively target them - you need to catch them committing an offence.
The law about confiscation sounds similar to UK - here we can seize a car if it is uninsured or if it the driver is caught driving like an idiot twice.
Problem is, they can claim it back straight away but it does cost them the best part of £200 plus the fine for the offence.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I think the police in Brisbane are using those radios, but not on the Gold Coast as yet

I think it cant come too soon, but the media think otherwise.