Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

question about end of year tax!

Wikiposts

question about end of year tax!

Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default question about end of year tax!

Hi
Any one help me on my tax return?

After 3 years doing the one job, ive just been told that i could have claimed my mileage on my tax returns!,

On my contract it states that im a contractor, and not employed for the company i work for, they just pay for my services. So is it right that i can claim my expenses travelling to and from the workplace?

thanks
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:16 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about end of year tax!

Originally Posted by abergas
Hi

After 3 years doing the one job, ive just been told that i could have claimed my mileage on my tax returns!,

On my contract it states that im a contractor, and not employed for the company i work for, they just pay for my services. So is it right that i can claim my expenses travelling to and from the workplace?

thanks
Best to consider asking either the ATO, an accountant or registered tax agent for professional advice. If you ask the maybe able to tell you if you can claim on the past 3 years as well.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:22 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thanks

Depends on what you do for a living. If you go from job to job you can claim the % you use the car for business as a tax right off, which includes petrol, rego, insurance, maintenance, depreciation etc.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:52 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

You should also check out the ATO's definitions for "employed" and "self-employed".

Don't know the ATO's view, but in the UK, if you are a contractor who works for just one company with a contract that states you are not employed by the company, you submit invoices for your services - the Inland Revenue would class you nevertheless as "employed".- As i say, that is according to the UK rules. But the ATO is bound to have definitions on how they decide who is "employed" or "self-employed", and their view may differ on how you see yourself.

Gina
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

thanks
Are you any relation to Abergas of Hamilton?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
Are you any relation to Abergas of Hamilton?

No Sorry!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

best thing is to find a good tax accountant.
Mine charges about 200bucks and knows all the claimables, offsets etc - he is fab and worth every dollar.