Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

question about 457 Visa - Min salary...

question about 457 Visa - Min salary...

Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:44 am
Just Joined

bluejam is an unknown quantity at this point
Question question about 457 Visa - Min salary...

Hi,

Just been checking this PDF on the Immi website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ccupations.pdf

I can't make sense of this - as it contradicts itself here:

3. SPECIFY a gross annual salary of AUD 57,300 EXCLUDING those items listed in Schedule A to this Instrument, calculated on a 38 hour week, as the minimum salary level for the purposes of the definition of minimum salary level in regulation 1.20B of the Regulations, for the occupations listed in Schedule C to this Instrument;

5. SPECIFY a gross annual salary of AUD 51,570 EXCLUDING those items listed in Schedule A to this Instrument, calculated on a 38 hour week, as the minimum salary level for the purposes of the definition of minimum salary level in regulation 1.20B of the Regulations, for all occupations listed in Schedule E to this Instrument;
------------------------

and then reading through the Schedules:

------------------------
SCHEDULE C – Information and Communication Technology Occupations

1 MANAGERS AND ADMINISTRATORS

1224-11 Information Technology Manager

2 PROFESSIONALS

2231-11 Systems Manager
2231-13 Systems Designer
2231-15 Software Designer
2231-17 Applications and Analyst Programmer
2231-19 Systems Programmer
2231-21 Computer Systems Auditor
2231-79 Computing Professionals nec

------------------------

SCHEDULE E – Information and Communication Technology Occupations

2 PROFESSIONALS

2231-11 Systems Manager
2231-13 Systems Designer

The Schedules are exactly the same! So - is the Min salary $57k or $51k ??

Please advise...

Steve
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:17 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about 457 Visa - Min salary...

Originally Posted by bluejam

Please advise...

Steve
Hi mate

I'm here (in Perth) on 457 visa's and are not earning 57K (yet). So it would appear that the minimum wage is incorrect, or my employer is cheating me!! I suspect it's the first.

Neil.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:44 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi mate

I'm here (in Perth) on 457 visa's and are not earning 57K (yet). So it would appear that the minimum wage is incorrect, or my employer is cheating me!! I suspect it's the first.

Neil.
Me again....
There has been a lot of bad press recently about employers bringing in staff from Asia and other areas, using the 457 visa to get them here and paying below the minimum wage that the Aussies enjoy.

The implications are the temporary worker's willingly accept well below average wages as a mean to obtaining PR in Oz and are too scared to complain as they risk loosing their jobs and being deported.
I read last week that 150,000 people (including their families) have arrived in WA in the past year or so.

One thing that I personally do not agree with (and it includes me!) is that the 457 visa holders are NOT blood tested (unless they work in hospitals etc) yet everyone else is.
My point being Australia has been very strict about the health of the people migrating to the country, yet they let 150,000 people come for up to 5 years on a 457 visa and don't bother to test?
I would have willingly have more stringent health checks and I feel for the good of Australia, I should have.... there, said it!

:-)
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bluejam
Hi,

Just been checking this PDF on the Immi website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ccupations.pdf

I can't make sense of this - as it contradicts itself here:

3. SPECIFY a gross annual salary of AUD 57,300 EXCLUDING those items listed in Schedule A to this Instrument, calculated on a 38 hour week, as the minimum salary level for the purposes of the definition of minimum salary level in regulation 1.20B of the Regulations, for the occupations listed in Schedule C to this Instrument;

5. SPECIFY a gross annual salary of AUD 51,570 EXCLUDING those items listed in Schedule A to this Instrument, calculated on a 38 hour week, as the minimum salary level for the purposes of the definition of minimum salary level in regulation 1.20B of the Regulations, for all occupations listed in Schedule E to this Instrument;
------------------------

and then reading through the Schedules:

------------------------
SCHEDULE C – Information and Communication Technology Occupations

2 PROFESSIONALS

2231-11 Systems Manager
2231-13 Systems Designer

------------------------

SCHEDULE E – Information and Communication Technology Occupations

2 PROFESSIONALS

2231-11 Systems Manager
2231-13 Systems Designer

Please advise...

Steve
the difference between these two figures:

$57k is when you work in Metro areas, $51k (10% less) is the min pay when you work in regional areas.

The min pay can include loadings for overtime, night shift and holidays. The salary must be at least as high as the gazetted salary (eg $57k) or at least the min salary of the relevant award if there is any (which is not in IT I believe) and whatever is higher.