Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

Hello

Mrs Buzzy is dead scared of creepy crawlies and other stuff of that ilk. Being a New Zealander (no snakes, 1 poisonous spider) and then living the last 12 years in the UK (no poisonous spiders, 1 poisonous snake) she is a little concerned about this aspect of living in Oz.

In an attempt to reassure her I quoted ABC Diamond who said only 4 people a year die from snake bites in Oz, but she now wants to know -

How many people die from spider bites?
How many people have to go to hospital from snake / spider bites?
How many people die / get hospitalised by bites from other creatures eg I suppose box jellyfish, sharks, crocs, chihuahuas, hamsters whatever?

ABC or anyone else, can you help?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:08 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
How many people die / get hospitalised by bites from other creatures eg I suppose hamsters whatever?

Thanks

Buzzy
Have you seen a herd of hamsters in a feeding frenzy - it aint nice - they'll take out a moose in less then 3 seconds...
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
they'll take out a moose in less then 3 seconds...
My niece can do that - but only if its a strawberry flavoured one
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I am totally terrified of spiders, So Oz was a daunting thing for me, But low and behold i was here 9 weeks and a lovely little redback fell out of my light fitting in bed with me, All while i was sleeping of course, Then i decided to roll about a bit and the little ****** bit me in the leg whilst i squashed it. After about half an hour started felling like shit and had to go to the hospital, They gave me a shot and im still in oz, been here coming on 5 months now. But if i get bit again by anything else im going home, Take the mozzies out of that, Cause they mutilate me.
Hope this calms mrs buzzy down
Cheers
Suzanne
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

Originally Posted by svinnes
I am totally terrified of spiders, So Oz was a daunting thing for me, But low and behold i was here 9 weeks and a lovely little redback fell out of my light fitting in bed with me, All while i was sleeping of course, Then i decided to roll about a bit and the little ****** bit me in the leg whilst i squashed it. After about half an hour started felling like shit and had to go to the hospital, They gave me a shot and im still in oz, been here coming on 5 months now. But if i get bit again by anything else im going home, Take the mozzies out of that, Cause they mutilate me.
Hope this calms mrs buzzy down
Cheers
Suzanne
I'm not telling her that!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Have you seen a herd of hamsters in a feeding frenzy - it aint nice - they'll take out a moose in less then 3 seconds...
Once I get to Oz I am going to get my regular dose of British Humour here.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:26 am
ABCDiamond

Hello

Mrs Buzzy is dead scared of creepy crawlies and other stuff of that ilk. Being a New Zealander (no snakes, 1 poisonous spider) and then living the last 12 years in the UK (no poisonous spiders, 1 poisonous snake) she is a little concerned about this aspect of living in Oz.

In an attempt to reassure her I quoted ABC Diamond who said only 4 people a year die from snake bites in Oz, but she now wants to know -

How many people die / get hospitalised by bites from other creatures eg I suppose box jellyfish, sharks, crocs, chihuahuas, hamsters whatever?

Thanks

Buzzy
That "1 UK poisonous snake" that you mentioned, I had a run in with it when I was 10, and spent a week in hospital. I've found my time in Australia to be much safer

Q: How many dangerous spider bites occur in Australia each year? Has anyone died from a bite recently?
A: There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979.

A spider bite is not a notifiable medical emergency, so there are no Australia-wide statistics, but the following figures give an idea of the incidence of reported bites in recent years.

Approximately 2,000 people are bitten each year by Redback Spiders

Funnel-web spider antivenom has been given to at least 100 patients since 1980.

Funnel web spiders (Eastern Australia), are the most dangerous of all the world's spiders. Since the use of anti-venom, no one in Australia has died of a funnel web spider bite.

Spider info at: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=305&id=2318

Annually in Victoria there are an average of 375 hospital admissions and more than 1,100 emergency department presentations as the result of venomous bites or stings. The majority of these are associated with bee and wasp sting and spider and snake bite.
The following %'s relate to Victoria, and the numbers of bites that resulted in Hospitalisation
Hornets, wasps and bees 33%
Spiders 30%
Snakes 22%

During the period 1979-1996, a total of 11 deaths was registered in which the external causes code indicates that the person died as the result of injuries sustained when bitten by a dog.

And as for: Hamsters ,don't worry as they are completely banned in Australia

Australian Wildlife

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That "1 UK poisonous snake" that you mentioned, I had a run in with it when I was 10, and spent a week in hospital. I've found my time in Australia to be much safer

Q: How many dangerous spider bites occur in Australia each year? Has anyone died from a bite recently?
A: There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979.

A spider bite is not a notifiable medical emergency, so there are no Australia-wide statistics, but the following figures give an idea of the incidence of reported bites in recent years.

Funnel web spiders (Eastern Australia), are the most dangerous of all the world's spiders. Since the use of anti-venom, no one in Australia has died of a funnel web spider bite.

Annually in Victoria there are an average of 375 hospital admissions and more than 1,100 emergency department presentations as the result of venomous bites or stings. The majority of these are associated with bee and wasp sting and spider and snake bite.
The following %'s relate to Victoria, and the numbers of bites that resulted in Hospitalisation
Spiders 30%
Snakes 22%

During the period 1979-1996, a total of 11 deaths was registered in which the external causes code indicates that the person died as the result of injuries sustained when bitten by a dog.

Australian Wildlife
Thank you ABC, Karma sent. At least I tried to send it but apparently I have given you too much.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:32 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

The Moose population is safe - phew....
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Talking Re: Question for ABC Diamond perhaps?

The Moose population is safe - phew....
They have Mooses in Oz (Meeses? Meese?)???

Hmm so how many people have died from being bitten by venomous Meese?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:45 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Spiders 30%
Snakes 22%

Australian Wildlife

Thanks for that, I was worried about creepy crawlies and things , but those statistics arent bad at all!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember that there was a mouse plague some years ago - In QLD was it? (I'm sure that ABC will correct me), but from the TV pictures of that, feeding frenzy were the only words to describe it!

S
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Buzzy
What you do is act like Peter Kay in the John Smith's ad (trying to re-assure his daughter that she doesn't need to worry about the wardrobe monsters). You say to your wife, it isn't the snakes and spiders and jellyfish and crocs etc to worry about - you have more chance of being killed in a road crash or murdered! That will be as re-assuring as it was to Kay's daughter but you'll get the point that it is an irrational fear and ABCD's stats put these things in perspective.

OzTennis
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
What you do is act like Peter Kay in the John Smith's ad (trying to re-assure his daughter that she doesn't need to worry about the wardrobe monsters). You say to your wife, it isn't the snakes and spiders and jellyfish and crocs etc to worry about - you have more chance of being killed in a road crash or murdered! That will be as re-assuring as it was to Kay's daughter but you'll get the point that it is an irrational fear and ABCD's stats put these things in perspective.

OzTennis
Agreed; even the Peter Kay bit!

Despite the fact that Aus has poisonous snakes and other beasties coming out of its ears, I'm more concerned about getting run over crossing the wide Aussie roads!

Anyhoo, I like snakes...