Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Query : Geelong to Melbourne commute

Query : Geelong to Melbourne commute

Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:17 am
ndaltonb

Default Query : Geelong to Melbourne commute

To those in Geelong:

I see quite a few people have moved to Geelong and I was wondering if you could tell me whyGeelong as opposed to melb.

Also, crucial piece of info, how long is the commute (i.e. rush hour) to Melbourne and also how long does it take to get back after a night out in Melb.

Many thanks

Nigel db

Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:04 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query : Geelong to Melbourne commute

Hello Nigel.

Reasons why we went for Geelong - choice of school, cheaper real estate, closer to the great beaches of the Surf Coast, and close enough to Melbourne to commute (even though our friends think we're mad to contemplate any commute over 20 minutes - but as we're from the UK an hour and a bit to get to and from work isn't anything to get worked up about) and for the sport (AusOpen tennis, cricket, Aussie Rules at the Colonial and the MCG, etc) and theatre.

To be fair, the commute to Melbourne at the moment isn't great with the roadworks on the Princes Freeway (which is being widened to 3 lanes each way) dragging on for far too long. However, we're promised completion by Xmas - we'll see ....

When the freeway upgrade is finished it should be about an hour into the CBD from where we are in Newtown (Geelong) and little by way of serious traffic until you get to Laverton/Hoppers Crossing

Rail travel's OK at just over an hour into Spencer Street from Geelong. See here for the V/Line train timetable:
http://www.vlinepassenger.com.au/tim...vline_glng.htm

And you'd be looking at about A$120 to A$140 for a taxi back to Geelong from Melbourne after a night out (which is very reasonable given my experiences of getting back home after a few beers in Central London).

I believe quite a few who live in Melbourne consider Geelong very much a country town (which I s'pose it is) and can question your sanity for wanting to live there (if I had a $ for the number of times I'd been asked "Why Geelong?" I'd have ... well at least $100), but the commute into the CBD for many in the suburbs of Melbourne is at least an hour anyway and probably more stressful than sitting at 100k's on the freeway listening to K-Rock.

Am now starting to sound like an ambassador for Geelong, so that's where I'll stop.

Hope this helps and best regards.

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
To those in Geelong:

I see quite a few people have moved to Geelong and I was wondering if you could tell me whyGeelong as opposed to melb.

Also, crucial piece of info, how long is the commute (i.e. rush hour) to Melbourne and also how long does it take to get back after a night out in Melb.

Many thanks

Nigel db
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

\ Hi Alan
That is a very fair assessment you have made about Geelong Commuting will be a lot better as you said when the Roadworks are completed Compared with Sydney I believe commuting in Victoria is relatively easy Will catch up one day Weare 2hours drive to the West of you Regards Gerard
Old Aug 26th 2002, 1:19 pm
Misterbean

It's about a one hour drive - about 70 kms - 45 miles. Though the road is a real mess
at the moment. They're tring to replace the whole length of the road at the same time
with an effect on the road users sanity. many people commuting would park at a
station in Geelong and catch the train. Or drive to Hoppers Crossing and catch the
train. Parking in Melbourne city area is expensive.

Old Aug 26th 2002, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we hope to move to geelong as this is the largest town nearest my family, i have spent many months over the years based in geelong and have travelled to and fro to melbourne, although the road is a pain at the moment the improvements it will make to the journey can easily be seen already, and even in its present state is a big improvment on 9 or 10 yrs ago.
and after spending a week working in london last week an hours drive to work would be luxuary
as far as a night out in town is concerned, my dad tends to spend the night in one of the reasonably priced motels on the outskirts of melbourne and then drive home the following day, works out quite cheap.
i personally would not like to live in the hustle and bustle of any of the major cities in oz, but some people thrive on that sort of thing. and as alan said property prices also seem a little better in geelong.
hope this helps shaun
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Geelong Grammar School for 3 years and it wasnt that great(may have improved since then.) Actually lived in Corio (next to the Shell plant). Sorry- that was very self indulgent but feel all wistful when I hear Geelong mentioned..........

Originally posted by shaun/lor:
hi we hope to move to geelong as this is the largest town nearest my family, i have spent many months over the years based in geelong and have travelled to and fro to melbourne, although the road is a pain at the moment the improvements it will make to the journey can easily be seen already, and even in its present state is a big improvment on 9 or 10 yrs ago.
and after spending a week working in london last week an hours drive to work would be luxuary
as far as a night out in town is concerned, my dad tends to spend the night in one of the reasonably priced motels on the outskirts of melbourne and then drive home the following day, works out quite cheap.
i personally would not like to live in the hustle and bustle of any of the major cities in oz, but some people thrive on that sort of thing. and as alan said property prices also seem a little better in geelong.
hope this helps shaun
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Were you there with Prince Charles ...?!!

I believe he went to Timbertops at Geelong Grammar which is in Year 10 or Year 11.

Best regards.

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
I went to Geelong Grammar School for 3 years and it wasnt that great(may have improved since then.) Actually lived in Corio (next to the Shell plant). Sorry- that was very self indulgent but feel all wistful when I hear Geelong mentioned..........
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:14 am
ndaltonb

Thanks for all the info folks.

Nigel db

Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan Collett:

I believe he went to Timbertops at Geelong Grammar which is in Year 10 or Year 11.

Best regards.

My best recollection is that Prince Charles went to Timbertop around 1967 -1968 Although I think living in Corio next to the Shell Refinery would be an education all on its own Regards Gerard
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Query : Geelong to Melbourne commute

Yes- my mate Charlie!

Only kidding- i was there 81 to 84. It was quite a poor standard though and i needed tuition on various subjects when i got back to UK. Didnt make to Timbertop- left the year before. Sounded like a scream.

Love
Nibbles

PS HC is quoting April 18th (Team 2) -can anyone (Alan?) shed some light on the delay. 17 months since trade approved and family application lodged.

Would really apreciate some help- I am feeling quite miserable today.

Originally posted by Alan Collett:

Best regards.