Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Old May 16th 2007, 8:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Our last 3 power bills have been $350, $360 & now $359 [rounded up to the closest dollar].
We have no pool, no aircon our hot water is solar. Our oven and hob are gas, even the jug/kettle is a stove top one. Our lights are predominantly low wattage, our only excess is that we have two fridges running. We have no electric heaters, though we do have a fish tank that runs a couple of small power heads & a filter pump.
I think our power consumption is excessive & for the last 90 day period have maintained a routine of switching off all appliances at the wall when not in use. I only saved a buck on the last bill:curse:
When we lived at my parents house only a few k's away [still within the same providers area] we cooked with electricity, we had electric heaters and an electric kettle yet the power consumption was dramatically less.
What do you guys here in QLD pay per quarter?
Old May 16th 2007, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Our last 3 power bills have been $350, $360 & now $359 [rounded up to the closest dollar].
We have no pool, no aircon our hot water is solar. Our oven and hob are gas, even the jug/kettle is a stove top one. Our lights are predominantly low wattage, our only excess is that we have two fridges running. We have no electric heaters, though we do have a fish tank that runs a couple of small power heads & a filter pump.
I think our power consumption is excessive & for the last 90 day period have maintained a routine of switching off all appliances at the wall when not in use. I only saved a buck on the last bill:curse:
When we lived at my parents house only a few k's away [still within the same providers area] we cooked with electricity, we had electric heaters and an electric kettle yet the power consumption was dramatically less.
Our bills have been pretty bad, about $600 per quarter. We blame it on the kids and guests, as we have the aircon and heater on mainly for them. Our hot water is solar, and we have a pool. Stoves are gas but oven is electric.

Mrs JTL
Old May 16th 2007, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not cheap. We were with Energex and have now been given Origin (WTF) Our last three have been $713 - jesus christ what happened there , $410 and $343. We have solar heating for the water but if we have a day or two of cloud we have to put the electric heater on, all cooking until recently was electric and our darling teenage daughter feels the need to leave every light on 24/7 she can find All our lights are bog standard bulbs and until a few months ago our huge fridge/freezer door was not shutting properly. Oh and we have a pool so the pump is running a couple of hours a day. Got aircon but never use it so can't blame that.

Thanks for that, I try not to think about it
Old May 16th 2007, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
Our bills have been pretty bad, about $600 per quarter. We blame it on the kids and guests, as we have the aircon and heater on mainly for them. Our hot water is solar, and we have a pool. Stoves are gas but oven is electric.

Mrs JTL

They were around the $500 but moved to acerage with solar and gas this that and the other so the last one was only $389, but no ac's in that, this summer simply wasnt hot enough. Dont think that will last isnt it supposed to be going up soon.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:46 am
Just Joined

racheysteve is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i pay $35 a week by bpay and i am always in credit, my cooker is electric and i run the filter on the pool for about 4 hours a day, no solar heating here so i think your bills do seem quite high compared to ours. i have four kids who never switch anything off, we are with energex . Rach
Old May 16th 2007, 9:15 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by racheysteve View Post
hi i pay $35 a week by bpay and i am always in credit, my cooker is electric and i run the filter on the pool for about 4 hours a day, no solar heating here so i think your bills do seem quite high compared to ours. i have four kids who never switch anything off, we are with energex . Rach
About $200 a time here - thats even with The Bloke running all the fans all the time, hot water is electric, and the TV etc is on 24 hours...... Maybe Cresta Jnr is up to something? If you were in civilisation I'd say you were running the street lights off your meter, but I don't suppose they have them up there?
Old May 16th 2007, 9:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
About $200 a time here - thats even with The Bloke running all the fans all the time, hot water is electric, and the TV etc is on 24 hours...... Maybe Cresta Jnr is up to something? If you were in civilisation I'd say you were running the street lights off your meter, but I don't suppose they have them up there?
I did check his bedroom last week just in case he was growing hydroponic tomatoes or something.....................
I just asked the bloke next door, he has a spa pool & aircon as well as all electric cooking. His bill for the last quarter was a mere $260:curse:
I'll ring the power company tomorrow and ask them to check it out
Old May 16th 2007, 9:23 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

ours was $400 we have air cond and a pool + electric oven.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:32 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Ours is around $400 mark although we did have a great one once for $150...wish it was like all the time and haven't got a clue why that one was so low??? We run a pool, cook on electric, heat water by electric, no air con, use a dryer every now and then, and there is 4 of us - 2 of which actually make that 3 of which haven't got a clue a light switch is there for a reason!

I know the people in this house before us moved down the road and found that even though the pool was smaller their bills jumped to a massive amount. It turned out it was because this house had certain things that ran on a different tariff. A bit like the old economy 7 thing only certain things can be elected to run from that tariff i.e. washing machine, dryer, pool filter etc but it only runs for a certain amount of time and get this they won't tell you what time that is so it's a bit hit and miss!
Old May 16th 2007, 9:38 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I did check his bedroom last week just in case he was growing hydroponic tomatoes or something.....................
I just asked the bloke next door, he has a spa pool & aircon as well as all electric cooking. His bill for the last quarter was a mere $260:curse:
Poor boy, he's so sweet and innocent.....!!!
I think getting the power co to check it out could be a good move.....you're probably funding someone neon advertising board!
Old May 16th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

$209,287,247

Solar hot water, pumps for water and HSTP, everything electric, no aircon.

And use tumble dryer all the time.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:30 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Ours is a 4 x 2 (no aircon) oven, portable fans and dishwasher with the usual tvs etc. Approximately $220 per quarter.....

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 16th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Our last bill was $996 for the quarter - when we checked it, it had been estimated and was actually a nice round $1000.

We have no gas.

Pool pump on twice a day, 3 air cons running at night (this was through the hot 'n' steamy season) and a big aircon on for three hours a night in the lounge. Lights a go-go - I am constantly following the kids around switching them off and we also had visitors at the time of the metre whizzing around...so actually a 4th air con blasting away at night. I do 2 loads of washing a day (so therefore 2 loads of tumble drying - no lectures please - I DO NOT have time to peg out - and I don't own a clothes line anyway ).

Our 'Carbon footprints' are well imprinted, me thinks.

So is the dent on our wallets...

(Before newbies have a heart attack, our usual bill is around the $400 mark - thank jaysus)
Old May 16th 2007, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by steandleigh View Post
Our last bill was $996 for the quarter - when we checked it, it had been estimated and was actually a nice round $1000.

We have no gas.

Pool pump on twice a day, 3 air cons running at night (this was through the hot 'n' steamy season) and a big aircon on for three hours a night in the lounge. Lights a go-go - I am constantly following the kids around switching them off and we also had visitors at the time of the metre whizzing around...so actually a 4th air con blasting away at night. I do 2 loads of washing a day (so therefore 2 loads of tumble drying - no lectures please - I DO NOT have time to peg out - and I don't own a clothes line anyway ).

Our 'Carbon footprints' are well imprinted, me thinks.

So is the dent on our wallets...

(Before newbies have a heart attack, our usual bill is around the $400 mark - thank jaysus)
Wow, that makes mine look really respectable Leigh
Is your usual $400 inclusive of tumble drier + aircon?
Old May 16th 2007, 10:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Check under your fence for any surreptitious power cords leading from your house to your next door neighbour's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.