British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/queenslanders-how-much-your-electricity-bill-450585/)

cresta57 May 16th 2007 8:17 am

Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Our last 3 power bills have been $350, $360 & now $359 [rounded up to the closest dollar].
We have no pool, no aircon our hot water is solar. Our oven and hob are gas, even the jug/kettle is a stove top one. Our lights are predominantly low wattage, our only excess is that we have two fridges running. We have no electric heaters, though we do have a fish tank that runs a couple of small power heads & a filter pump.
I think our power consumption is excessive & for the last 90 day period have maintained a routine of switching off all appliances at the wall when not in use. I only saved a buck on the last bill:curse:
When we lived at my parents house only a few k's away [still within the same providers area] we cooked with electricity, we had electric heaters and an electric kettle yet the power consumption was dramatically less.
What do you guys here in QLD pay per quarter?

JackTheLad May 16th 2007 8:24 am

Re: Queenslanders, How Much Is Your Electricity Bill?

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4787441)
Our last 3 power bills have been $350, $360 & now $359 [rounded up to the closest dollar].
We have no pool, no aircon our hot water is solar. Our oven and hob are gas, even the jug/kettle is a stove top one. Our lights are predominantly low wattage, our only excess is that we have two fridges running. We have no electric heaters, though we do have a fish tank that runs a couple of small power heads & a filter pump.
I think our power consumption is excessive & for the last 90 day period have maintained a routine of switching off all appliances at the wall when not in use. I only saved a buck on the last bill:curse:
When we lived at my parents house only a few k's away [still within the same providers area] we cooked with electricity, we had electric heaters and an electric kettle yet the power consumption was dramatically less.

Our bills have been pretty bad, about $600 per quarter. We blame it on the kids and guests, as we have the aircon and heater on mainly for them. Our hot water is solar, and we have a pool. Stoves are gas but oven is electric.

Mrs JTL

moneypenny20 May 16th 2007 8:34 am

Not cheap. We were with Energex and have now been given Origin (WTF) Our last three have been $713 - jesus christ what happened there:ohmy: , $410 and $343. We have solar heating for the water but if we have a day or two of cloud we have to put the electric heater on, all cooking until recently was electric and our darling teenage daughter feels the need to leave every light on 24/7 she can find:sneaky: All our lights are bog standard bulbs and until a few months ago our huge fridge/freezer door was not shutting properly. Oh and we have a pool so the pump is running a couple of hours a day. Got aircon but never use it so can't blame that.

Thanks for that, I try not to think about it :frown: :D

jad n rich May 16th 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 4787461)
Our bills have been pretty bad, about $600 per quarter. We blame it on the kids and guests, as we have the aircon and heater on mainly for them. Our hot water is solar, and we have a pool. Stoves are gas but oven is electric.

Mrs JTL

They were around the $500 but moved to acerage with solar and gas this that and the other so the last one was only $389, but no ac's in that, this summer simply wasnt hot enough. Dont think that will last isnt it supposed to be going up soon.

racheysteve May 16th 2007 8:46 am

hi i pay $35 a week by bpay and i am always in credit, my cooker is electric and i run the filter on the pool for about 4 hours a day, no solar heating here so i think your bills do seem quite high compared to ours. i have four kids who never switch anything off, we are with energex . Rach :)

Pollyana May 16th 2007 9:15 am

Originally Posted by racheysteve (Post 4787537)
hi i pay $35 a week by bpay and i am always in credit, my cooker is electric and i run the filter on the pool for about 4 hours a day, no solar heating here so i think your bills do seem quite high compared to ours. i have four kids who never switch anything off, we are with energex . Rach :)

About $200 a time here - thats even with The Bloke running all the fans all the time, hot water is electric, and the TV etc is on 24 hours...... Maybe Cresta Jnr is up to something? If you were in civilisation I'd say you were running the street lights off your meter, but I don't suppose they have them up there? :D

cresta57 May 16th 2007 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4787640)
About $200 a time here - thats even with The Bloke running all the fans all the time, hot water is electric, and the TV etc is on 24 hours...... Maybe Cresta Jnr is up to something? If you were in civilisation I'd say you were running the street lights off your meter, but I don't suppose they have them up there? :D

I did check his bedroom last week just in case he was growing hydroponic tomatoes or something.....................:eek:
I just asked the bloke next door, he has a spa pool & aircon as well as all electric cooking. His bill for the last quarter was a mere $260:curse:
I'll ring the power company tomorrow and ask them to check it out:ohmy:

themerlin May 16th 2007 9:23 am

ours was $400 we have air cond and a pool + electric oven.

snappy May 16th 2007 9:32 am

Ours is around $400 mark although we did have a great one once for $150...wish it was like all the time and haven't got a clue why that one was so low??? We run a pool, cook on electric, heat water by electric, no air con, use a dryer every now and then, and there is 4 of us - 2 of which actually make that 3 of which haven't got a clue a light switch is there for a reason!

I know the people in this house before us moved down the road and found that even though the pool was smaller their bills jumped to a massive amount. It turned out it was because this house had certain things that ran on a different tariff. A bit like the old economy 7 thing only certain things can be elected to run from that tariff i.e. washing machine, dryer, pool filter etc but it only runs for a certain amount of time and get this they won't tell you what time that is :blink: so it's a bit hit and miss!

Pollyana May 16th 2007 9:38 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4787673)
I did check his bedroom last week just in case he was growing hydroponic tomatoes or something.....................:eek:
I just asked the bloke next door, he has a spa pool & aircon as well as all electric cooking. His bill for the last quarter was a mere $260:curse:

:rofl: Poor boy, he's so sweet and innocent.....!!!
I think getting the power co to check it out could be a good move.....you're probably funding someone neon advertising board!

lesleys May 16th 2007 11:14 am

$209,287,247

Solar hot water, pumps for water and HSTP, everything electric, no aircon.

And use tumble dryer all the time.

Stitch May 16th 2007 11:30 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4787441)

Hi there,

Ours is a 4 x 2 (no aircon) oven, portable fans and dishwasher with the usual tvs etc. Approximately $220 per quarter.....

Cheers

Ginny

steandleigh May 16th 2007 11:47 am

Our last bill was $996 for the quarter - when we checked it, it had been estimated and was actually a nice round $1000.:eek:

We have no gas.

Pool pump on twice a day, 3 air cons running at night (this was through the hot 'n' steamy season) and a big aircon on for three hours a night in the lounge. Lights a go-go - I am constantly following the kids around switching them off and we also had visitors at the time of the metre whizzing around...so actually a 4th air con blasting away at night. I do 2 loads of washing a day (so therefore 2 loads of tumble drying - no lectures please - I DO NOT have time to peg out - and I don't own a clothes line anyway:rofl: ).

Our 'Carbon footprints' are well imprinted, me thinks.

So is the dent on our wallets...:o

(Before newbies have a heart attack, our usual bill is around the $400 mark - thank jaysus)

cresta57 May 16th 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by steandleigh (Post 4788320)
Our last bill was $996 for the quarter - when we checked it, it had been estimated and was actually a nice round $1000.:eek:

We have no gas.

Pool pump on twice a day, 3 air cons running at night (this was through the hot 'n' steamy season) and a big aircon on for three hours a night in the lounge. Lights a go-go - I am constantly following the kids around switching them off and we also had visitors at the time of the metre whizzing around...so actually a 4th air con blasting away at night. I do 2 loads of washing a day (so therefore 2 loads of tumble drying - no lectures please - I DO NOT have time to peg out - and I don't own a clothes line anyway:rofl: ).

Our 'Carbon footprints' are well imprinted, me thinks.

So is the dent on our wallets...:o

(Before newbies have a heart attack, our usual bill is around the $400 mark - thank jaysus)

Wow, that makes mine look really respectable Leigh:blink:
Is your usual $400 inclusive of tumble drier + aircon?

Vash the Stampede May 16th 2007 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 4787673)

Check under your fence for any surreptitious power cords leading from your house to your next door neighbour's... ;)