Reload this Page >

Queenslander Houses

Queenslander Houses

Old Jan 5th 2004, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Queenslander Houses

Hi all

We are thinking of buying a property in the next month or so. For some reason I am mentally discounting all Queenslanders - as they are wooden. It must be a Brit thing - I think I want a brick house!

What are the pros and cons of buying a Queenslander? C'mon Mrs D - I am sure you will have a few good pointers!

Regards

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:05 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queenslander Houses

Originally posted by cookies
Hi all

We are thinking of buying a property in the next month or so. For some reason I am mentally discounting all Queenslanders - as they are wooden. It must be a Brit thing - I think I want a brick house!

What are the pros and cons of buying a Queenslander? C'mon Mrs D - I am sure you will have a few good pointers!

Regards

Steve
I predict all house painters in Brisbane will be millionaires within the next 5 years.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

You can destump one, stick it in the back of a lorry and move it wherever you want. Kinda like a very big caravan : )
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, you either like them or you dont. Theres no real pros & cons list, apart from the fact that they do need painting which brick houses dont. I love them, to me a gracious old qlder on a nice block of land is the epitomy of good taste in architecture & beauty. A bit like old houses in the UK having great character

Of course if you dont like them & dont want to buy one then that means that theres one more for me to pick from when we buy our house in Wynnum .

CHnJ LOL, ok, thats another advantage, we're planning on doing that as well, probably next year .
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Neighbours, everybody needs good neighbours!!!!

There is a 6 bedroom one going in Wynnum West at the moment which looks quite good! We have been speaking to agents over the past few days - the market is starting to pick up after Christmas already.

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Neighbours, everybody needs good neighbours!!!!

There is a 6 bedroom one going in Wynnum West at the moment which looks quite good! We have been speaking to agents over the past few days - the market is starting to pick up after Christmas already.

Steve
Qlder? What sort of money?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Glad someone has asked this as I've been wondering what the pros and cons are of a queenslander too. They has so much more character than a normal brick house.

Mandy
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:58 pm
Carol in Oz

Default Re: Queenslander Houses

Hi all

Regards

Steve
I would LOVE a Queenslander but live in NSW! I think they have a special charm about them and character, unlike some of the more modern homes now being built. I believe they are built up higher to allow the air passing under the house to keep the house cooler.
And the verandahs! Every home here should have one! Wouldnt like painting the outside though how often would it need to be done? 10 years or so? What about termites?

Carol

Old Jan 5th 2004, 5:44 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

QLDers are beautiful houses to stay in, and once done up, are beautiful!

Pros:
- Nice and cool
- Usually quite big
- Portable

Cons:
- If you buy an older one, you may need to restump it (EXPENSIVE)
- REPAINTING
- Re-roofing (again, if its old)

Alot of them are also raised to help protect them when it floods!

Also, if you are buying one that has been recently restumped, (or still is on wooden stumps), have it thoroughly checked for termites.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Qlder? What sort of money?
$500,000 - I'll try and find you the link.

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Mrs D - hope this works. If you go to the Ray White website for Belmont/Tingalpa you will see the price confirmed.

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Carol & gavo have the right points, one of the reasons that Qlders usually are cool is because verandahs (good ones have nice deep ones like ours) keep the sun off the exterior walls, therefore keeping inside cooler. This, along with being raised off the ground & their layout (usually bedrooms at the front, hallways directly dwn the middle, allowing a cool breeze) means they have been designed to be cool in the tropical climate. Of course when you sandwich them in between rows of other houses on 400 sqm blocks it sort of loses its effectivness LOL.

Carol, yes, about every 10 years for the painting. Gavo, you are pretty lucky to actually *find* an old one these days, they are snapped up quicker than you can blink & renovated . Also, seriously, if you were in an area that had termites, I would be doing inspections on a brick house, dont think they are immune!

Nice to see other people appreciate the beauty, what it comes down to in the end is either you like them, or you dont, you have to realise that they do take more maintenance than a brick & tile house.

Steve, I LOLed when I saw that house, have you actually been to see it? If not, I can tell you its on New Lindum Rd, number 27 if you want to drive past & take a look. Tell Karen just a few doors up from the winner of the Xmas lights with the train where the kids could sit down & watch it. We know the people who own it, I'll fill you in on the goss tommorrow when I see you, but basically if its for sale for $500k, it will be worth $400k.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Queenlanders and Federation houses must be some of Australia's finest homes. They have a good aesthetic and seem to be built far better then some of the self certified jokes that are going up these days. Unfortunatley the Queenlanders design is too cold for a Sydney winter.

Sydney's Art Deco units are also another good example of quality buildings that work in the climate. Too many modern blocks of units are built to a third world standard and are cracking and leaking.