Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queenslander house yards, are there any.

Queenslander house yards, are there any.

Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:41 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queenslander house yards, are there any.

Hi , i recently watched billy connolies australian tour, and he said that there are yards especially for buying a queenslander house straight from a place and they will deliver it to your plotand stump it in for you.
IS THIS TRUE!!

Are there any websites for these yards, adnif you doint know, then are they called a specific thing, like a slang term that oi cn search for, i.e. Stumpies or something daft like that.

Are they few and far between or common

Thanks for any advice no matter how pointless.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Queenslander house yards, are there any.

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi , i recently watched billy connolies australian tour, and he said that there are yards especially for buying a queenslander house straight from a place and they will deliver it to your plotand stump it in for you.
IS THIS TRUE!!

Are there any websites for these yards, adnif you doint know, then are they called a specific thing, like a slang term that oi cn search for, i.e. Stumpies or something daft like that.

Are they few and far between or common

Thanks for any advice no matter how pointless.
Hi,

Yes this is true. I know of three such yards within an hours drive from here. The only website I know is www.drakehomes.com.au but I am sure there will be others. If you do a search for'restumping' that might give you some results
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:47 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number around (or servicing) the Brisbane area. Here is another link Dalby Removal Homes.

There is one just north of Bris called Eddie Wright's but I cannot find the website (if there is one). When MrsD emerges from her well earned lie in I will see if she has any other links.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DagBoy
There are a number around (or servicing) the Brisbane area. Here is another link Dalby Removal Homes.

There is one just north of Bris called Eddie Wright's but I cannot find the website (if there is one). When MrsD emerges from her well earned lie in I will see if she has any other links.

Cheers,

DagBoy

I looked for Wrights also. Sure I have looked at their site before, but can't find it now
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:43 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Queenslander house yards, are there any.

cheers, keep em coming please
al an clare
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:46 pm
Banned

whatsd the deal with these does anyone know please?
can you take off the old tinroof and replace with tile, or at least insulate the tin then bitumen roll over it like sheds without planning permission.

any help or links would be great thanks
al an clare.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

can you take off the old tinroof and replace with tile, or at least insulate the tin then bitumen roll over it like sheds without planning permission.
Arrrggggggghhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :scared:
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Arrrggggggghhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :scared:
why?

did you not ask dumb questions before you moved there too?

al
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I have been told that they are hard to maintain, so be prepared for a lot of DIY. My aunt has one, and my sister has stayed with her recently and she reckons compared to our brick lowset the Queenslander is very cold. They have had to have the air con on reverse cycle (ie warm air) where as in our house we have had no need for heating, so far.

HTH
Katie
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:14 pm
Banned

how are they seen in australian society. Are they not regarded in any way, or are they trendy or trailer park?

Jus ttrying to find out some info as they are bloody cheap.
As far as the diy goes, we arent bothered as we can renovate as we go along.
Thanks.
al
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Eddy Wright's website used to be http://www.eddywrighthouseremovers.com.au/ but its certainly coming up blank now. The other 2 major players are Drakes & Dalbys which have already been mentioned.

Al, firstly I didnt move here, Im an aussie , & secondly my response wasnt so much that it was a stupid question, but that its the equivilent of asking if you could buy a Grade II listed building & replace all the windows with nice new aluminium ones .

Qlders have traditionally always had tin roofs for various reasons, there was a thread about tin roofs vs tiled ones a month or so back, interesting comments in it if you want to do a search for it .

Anyway, if you really are interested I can probably give you more info, my nephew had a a house removed to his property & has done it up, we live in one that was removed here about 7 years ago (we didnt do it, but we are still living with the results of having to renovate it!) & we have another house which we are currently trying to decide whether to move or sell for someone else to do it. One thing to realise is that its not quite the same as building a house ie when its been put on your block & restumped is when the work *really* begins, so be aware that the prices that you see on the websites for the houses are only the tip of the iceberg in regards to costs.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

how are they seen in australian society. Are they not regarded in any way, or are they trendy or trailer park?

Jus ttrying to find out some info as they are bloody cheap.
As far as the diy goes, we arent bothered as we can renovate as we go along.
Thanks.
al
Definitely not trailer park! We are talking most of the time about heritage & culturally important buildings. Thats why they are moved, as in Brisbane City Council area at least, they arent allowed to be demolished.

Also, see my post above, trust me, they aren't "cheap" we've dolled out $150K on ours so far, although you could do it for less, dont underestimate how much a new bathroom (or 2), kitchen, roof, rewiring, walls & floors fixed, concreting, landscaping etc costs. One other thing is that the council wont let you move in until it has passed an inspection, so it has to come up to a certain standard before you can move in.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:41 pm
Banned

thanks alot.
i have seen lots of lovely qlders, and im sorry for my ignorance to you and about the buildings!

I have only just started to research these type of houses and am really interested in them as they seem to vary so much.

I hate new builds and would welcome re wiring and all the stuff going into it more than buying a @barrat style new build@ (cheap shit in uk).

What are the options open to me as far as land goes.
If i bought a plot, what needs to be done to
A. the plot
B. the ouse for it to meet all the standards.

If this is a can of worms subject, do you have links to the governing bodies website so that i can peruse and gather info please.
Yuor help is much appreciated.

P.s. sorry if i had mistaken you for a pom!
regards.
al
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Cant find the picture of ours from the front . But heres one of the side & one inside (the part thats been renovated! & what parts of it looked like before )
Attached Thumbnails Queenslander house yards, are there any.-shed.jpg   Queenslander house yards, are there any.-loungedining.jpg   Queenslander house yards, are there any.-rumpus.jpg  
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:49 pm
Rocket Scientist

thanks alot.
i have seen lots of lovely qlders, and im sorry for my ignorance to you and about the buildings!

I have only just started to research these type of houses and am really interested in them as they seem to vary so much.

I hate new builds and would welcome re wiring and all the stuff going into it more than buying a @barrat style new build@ (cheap shit in uk).

What are the options open to me as far as land goes.
If i bought a plot, what needs to be done to
A. the plot
B. the ouse for it to meet all the standards.

If this is a can of worms subject, do you have links to the governing bodies website so that i can peruse and gather info please.
Yuor help is much appreciated.

P.s. sorry if i had mistaken you for a pom!
regards.
al
LOL, don't have to be sorry, I dont find them that repulsive, Im married to one .

If you hate new builds you're in good company! Definitely not my cup of tea either. I could talk all day about Qlders so dont get me started . I have to go out now, but will respond more fully when I get back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.