QUEENSLAND UNI

Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of
Default QUEENSLAND UNI

Well i got my A level results today and have enough points to study at Q/U I am so thrilled and looking forward to student life and raising a glass or two to new friends
Any one else hoping to join the 08 intake ?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUEENSLAND UNI

What are you going to study?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Carole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
Well i got my A level results today and have enough points to study at Q/U I am so thrilled and looking forward to student life and raising a glass or two to new friends

Hi Pommy babe,

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR A LEVELS, HOPE YOU HAVE BEEN CELEBRATING TODAY.

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM, but I have been on nights for the last 4 days, I have spoken to my daughter though, and she said she will MSN you in the next couple of days.

Can I ask how many points do you need to study at Q/U, and what points you get for each grade, as I am unsure if my daughter will have enough points or not.

She has managed to bag her self 4 A levels today, along side 1 A/S last year, and she has been accepted at her first choice university over here,(Chester), even though she did not get her provisional grades they stipulated, which is excellent news, However she will not be attending chester uni, as she will be coming over with us in Nov 07,(it was as a security measure incase we did not get the Visa.)

She is very worried that Q/U will not accept her, I have tried to reassure her that they will, and said that I would e-mail the university tomorrow to try and get more info, before she sends off her application form. But would like any info from yourself or any one who could help.

Any advice really appreciated.

Carole
</IMG></IMG>
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your results!

Are you going to UQ (University of Queensland) or QUT (Queensland University of Technology)? I'm at UQ doing a Bachelor of Journalism. I'm only in my first semester, but if I can help you with anything, please fire away!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Congratulations from someone who works at the University of Queensland. Which University do you mean as we've got quite a few! There's University of Queensland (UQ), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Griffith University, Bond University and then others such as University of Sunshine Coast, University of Southern Queensland etc, etc. What are you hoping to study? I can then find out what the entry level was for last year. Tell me course and faculty.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Credit to you. Congratulations and well done.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Carole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Congratulations from someone who works at the University of Queensland. Which University do you mean as we've got quite a few! There's University of Queensland (UQ), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Griffith University, Bond University and then others such as University of Sunshine Coast, University of Southern Queensland etc, etc. What are you hoping to study? I can then find out what the entry level was for last year. Tell me course and faculty.
Hello Sue & Rabysody,

Thank-you for replying, I am referring to Queensland University in Brisbane (the St Lucia Campus) The course she wants to do is Journalism, (Bach, I think). this is the course she has just been accepted at Chester University in England.

I am really apprensive about her declining this place (she's got 14 days to accept it) even though she has to, to come with us.
I could not even contenplate moving to Australia, without one of my children, and the feeling is mutual with her.

I just wish that there was some way, that we could know that there was a High probability that she would get accepted. with the information we put on the application form, and the knowledge that she has now gained her A level results.
We did not apply for her government Grant in this country last month, as were sure that the Visa would come through, which it did. We made the decision to pay for her fees in Australia, from the sale of our house, a huge committment I know, but am aware even though we have a 136 PR visa, we would not be eligible for government loans.

This is really bearing down on my shoulders really hard, as it is her life, that I may be screwing up, if I don't get it right, or prepare her with the accurate information.

Really could do with some imput, from you all.

Carole
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

OK, Well UQ is the best one - not that I'm biased or anything!
No. 1 point - see if you can accept a deferred place. My son was offered Durham and he deferred for 12 months. then when he was here and enjoying the course he wrote to Durham and said he wouldn't be taking up the place.

I have spoken to the Faculty office and last year the admission point for Journalism was 8. I have been trying to find on the web somewhere what that converts to in A levels but can't find it. You might already know.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

No. 1 point - see if you can accept a deferred place. My son was offered Durham and he deferred for 12 months. then when he was here and enjoying the course he wrote to Durham and said he wouldn't be taking up the place.

I have spoken to the Faculty office and last year the admission point for Journalism was 8. I have been trying to find on the web somewhere what that converts to in A levels but can't find it. You might already know.
Sue if you find it would you mind posting the link. we are keeping an eye out for a friends daughter for when she finishes her exams next year. x
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, some further information.
There doesn't seem to be a web link to the conversions but I got the admissions office to send me the paper they work from. Here is an extract.

Advanced Level: A = 5, B =4, C = 3, D = 2, and E = 1 and must include results in not more than three (3) subjects at Advanced Level or the equivalent at Advanced Supplementary Level. Advanced Supplementary level results may be included in this aggregate and contribute the equivalent of half of a subject taken at Advanced Level: A = 2.5, B = 2, C = 1.5, D = 1, and E = 0.5.
Aggregate Score
Queensland Entry Rank

14 99
13 98
12 97
11 96
10 95
9 94
8 93
7 92
6 91
5.5 90
5 89
4 88
3 87
2 86
1.5 85
1 84

And here http://www.uq.edu.au/study/index.htm...8911&pid=22456 is the link to what scores you need to get. For journalism an OP of 8 is a score of 85 which on the above list translates to 1.5 points to be achieved from A levels. So it looks like 2 A levels at grade E or above and you're in.

I went through the same with my son (Engineering) and he is thriving. The only thing I wish I had done differently is I wish I hadn't worried so much. this is a fabulous university and a fantastic campus. Your daughter will love it.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Sue,

Was thinking along the deferment lines myself, is this where you postpone/defer you place until the following year, do you have to reapply through ucas or is it saved for you. I will ring Chester University tomorrow morning and enquire about the possibilities of this and if there has to be special criteria/circumstances. It would definitely take a weight off my shoulders, and my daughter would be alot happier that she could take it up if the worst scenario happens.

Admission point 8, is that classified as achievable or is it a really high score, she only got average results in her 4 A levels and A/S, not A's & B's. Have not got a clue myself about the conversion to A levels, will have to do a bit of research. Or if anybody out there can shed any light on what admission point 8 equates to in A levels.

Also do Australian Universities, especially Queensland (st Lucia Campus) consider a student's personal statement and past achievements, for example lots of volunteer work for various institutions, a long term member of the girl Guiding / rangers, Duke of Edinburgh awards,(Bronze & Silver) and working on a radio station interviewing up & coming bands (all Voluntary) Really sorry for firing all these questions at you. as I'm sure Chester took this into consideration, when the confirmed her offer today.

Any one out there who has knowledge of any other Universities within the Brisbane area, as that is where we are heading as I have secured a Nursing job at the Mater Mothers's hospital in Brisbane.

Carole
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Deferment is quite common as lots of kids decide to do a gap year. Should be no problem. The university just reserves a place for you.

If you look at my previous post level 8 is really very achievable. Only 2 A levels at grade E. The highest admission score is OP1 (which my son got - just to show off a bit). Law usually requires a 2. The web link I posted before shows you the scores needed for the different courses.

They just work on entry forms here, no interviews, so if you get the points and they've got room you're in. So personal statements etc are not used.

Just a disclaimer here - I'm posting this as a mum not an official representative of UQ, the scores I've quoted are what was used for last year, etc. ya de yah de yah.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Deferment is quite common as lots of kids decide to do a gap year. Should be no problem. The university just reserves a place for you.

If you look at my previous post level 8 is really very achievable. Only 2 A levels at grade E. The highest admission score is OP1 (which my son got - just to show off a bit). Law usually requires a 2. The web link I posted before shows you the scores needed for the different courses.

They just work on entry forms here, no interviews, so if you get the points and they've got room you're in. So personal statements etc are not used.

Just a disclaimer here - I'm posting this as a mum not an official representative of UQ, the scores I've quoted are what was used for last year, etc. ya de yah de yah.

Thanks Sue,

Your a life saver, posted last lot of questions, prior to reading your previous post, so yes it does seem achievable, as she got 1 grade E, and 3 C's. alongside a D in an A/S last year.

Well she will be really relieved that she has a good chance of getting in, unfortunately can't tell her the good news yet as I am waiting up for her, as she has gone celebrating in Manchester with her friends, Hence why I am typing on the computer at 03.10am in the early hours of the morning.
Do you ever relax when your kids are out.? who would be a parent.

And once again I really appreciate the time and effort you have gone to to alleviate all my worries.

Carole
</IMG>
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries. You just take the 3 best results, in this case 3 Cs. That equates to 85 points which is an OP of 4. That would get her in just about most courses.

Glad my son doesn't go into Manchester any more. I know Brisbane has its problems but nowhere near as bad as Manchester. You can assure her that there is plenty of nightlife here.

Now stop fretting and get some sleep.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rabsody
Congrats on your results!

Are you going to UQ (University of Queensland) or QUT (Queensland University of Technology)? I'm at UQ doing a Bachelor of Journalism. I'm only in my first semester, but if I can help you with anything, please fire away!
Thank you for your reply I am hoping to attend U.Q. Hopefully to study commerce. I will P.M. you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.