Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland to stay in the dark

Queensland to stay in the dark

Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland to stay in the dark

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has rejected plans to follow WA and consider introducing daylight savings in QLD. Part of his reasoning is that:

"One of the issues in a state where we've got the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world - an extra hour of daylight is going to make that worse,"

Not sure if anyone has told him that you don't get an extra hour of daylight, you just move it from the start to the end of the day.

Mind he also said :

"I wish them well in their trial and they can join the rest of Australia in being 23 hours behind us," Mr Beattie told reporters today.

Which of course is blatantly wrong.

Anway, as an honorary Queenslander I must be off, its nearly 5PM and I should be getting home before dark....

Last edited by jayr; Oct 24th 2006 at 6:57 am. Reason: typos
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:05 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Queensland to stay in the dark

Originally Posted by jayr
Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has rejected plans to follow WA and consider introducing daylight savings in QLD. Part of his reasoning is that:

"One of the issues in a state where we've got the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world - an extra hour of daylight is going to make that worse,"

Not sure if anyone has told him that you don't get an extra hour of daylight, you just move it from the start to the end of the day.

Mind he also said :

"I wish them well in their trial and they can join the rest of Australia in being 23 hours behind us," Mr Beattie told reporters today.

Which of course is blatantly wrong.

Anway, as an honorary Queenslander I must be off, its nearly 5PM and I should be getting home before dark....
In most parts of country Queensland people already live in the dark ages.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jayr]Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has rejected plans to follow WA and consider introducing daylight savings in QLD. Part of his reasoning is that:

QUOTE]

The government is downright scary at times. P Beattie is not an elderly man, one would have hoped he had more forward/logical thinking.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Beat me to it! I have just sat and listened to a quote from our wonderful Mr Beattie........"An extra hour of daylight and sunshine will cause a horrendous increase in skin cancer rates." How the heck did he get to be in charge when he can't work out that its just a change of times! What does he think they do in other places, pull a spare hour out of a hat and suddenly develop 25 hour days
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:54 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Beat me to it! I have just sat and listened to a quote from our wonderful Mr Beattie........"An extra hour of daylight and sunshine will cause a horrendous increase in skin cancer rates." How the heck did he get to be in charge when he can't work out that its just a change of times! What does he think they do in other places, pull a spare hour out of a hat and suddenly develop 25 hour days
LOL Priceless

What a pratt!

Graham
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to laugh...did he really say that? Can anyone be that stupid? The early nights are hard to get used to here, it is very much an early to bed early to rise culture. I sent my daughters round to the local Woolies at 6,15 last night and they took a torch with em! :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

The government is downright scary at times. P Beattie is not an elderly man, one would have hoped he had more forward/logical thinking.
Powerpoint Pete is forward thinking, he called an election before he announced all the politically unpopular decisions had to be made eg water restrictions and a few other things came to light.

QLD will never have daylight saving until a politician calls another referendum.

The Labor Party said they wouldnt put it to the vote again back in 1990 or so, after the unsuccessful referendum then.

The Nats wont because it will upset their members out in the bush.

And the Libs, well enough said.

I blame the LOL who rang a radio station and said it was against "God's time".???? WTF

I thought man invented the concept of measuring time. If it was God's time then I would have been born with a watch on the wrist.

I feel really sorry for those giving birth when they only had hour glasses

Looks like the cows will continue to fade.....

WW
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kellyjs
I sent my daughters round to the local Woolies at 6,15 last night and they took a torch with em! :scared:
They just wanted to spotlight the fruit bats from the Black Swamp

WW
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:06 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I have to laugh...did he really say that? Can anyone be that stupid? The early nights are hard to get used to here, it is very much an early to bed early to rise culture. I sent my daughters round to the local Woolies at 6,15 last night and they took a torch with em! :scared:
Thats one of the reasons why we are looking elsewhere to move to.I dont think i'd like constant early nights
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

How did perth go with its vote on daylight saving think it was today.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
They just wanted to spotlight the fruit bats from the Black Swamp

WW
god don't! thats spot on! they walked out the door and spotted a possum with its babies on her back walking across the power lines next to the house. We were all so excited out our first bit of REAL widlife (other than those bloody roaches) that we all ran out with night camera flash and torch blazing. The poor thing freaked out so much, the baby was hanging off its back by a thread and ready to fall. We felt so guilty we wont be doing that again in a hurry :-( By theway, the baby hung on til the next tree thank god
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Thats one of the reasons why we are looking elsewhere to move to.I dont think i'd like constant early nights
It does take a while to get used to, surely it will get better from now over the summer though? I've been up north in december and it wasn't dark at 6.30?!!!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It does take a while to get used to, surely it will get better from now over the summer though? I've been up north in december and it wasn't dark at 6.30?!!!
More like 7.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
More like 7.
I do miss going out in London in the summer and still still being out at 10pm before it gets dark :-( Its just the other 11 months of weather I don;t miss!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
More like 7.
The anti-daylight saving lobby is probably funded by the TV stations to keep the ratings up in prime time

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.