Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

queensland secondary education.

queensland secondary education.

Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point
Question queensland secondary education.

Hi my sister in law is planning to migrate, and is waiting for her son to do his GCSE's first, b4 going to oz.
Has anyone got experience of this age group and the best time to move children this age with coinciding with the Australian education system?
Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: queensland secondary education.

Originally Posted by fishface
Hi my sister in law is planning to migrate, and is waiting for her son to do his GCSE's first, b4 going to oz.
Has anyone got experience of this age group and the best time to move children this age with coinciding with the Australian education system?
Thanks
Here's a website that may be useful.... http://www.agd.com.au/browse/Education/

School year runs from Jan to Dec.
I guess starting Jan would be the best but actually a few weeks before the end of the year would allow them to settle in a bit before the full year starts.

Our son had just completed GCSEs. Could have joined school over here but as he was one of the youngest in his UK year he would have dropped back a year here. Chose to go to TAFE college instead.

Effectively the education up to the equivalent of UK college is done in the same school.
After leaving school it's directl on to Uni, or TAFE college or work.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: queensland secondary education.

We came when my daughter was half waythrough her Btec Diploma. She wasn't bothered about completing it first as she had decided to go back and do year 11 and 12 at high school so she could get her OP score (you have to do 2 years I think to get this). This is the equivalent to A levels and is one pathway into uni. Once here she was advised to go to Tafe as she had been in college in the UK, so she started a diploma course in multimedia. This is an 18mth course and if she still wants to go to uni it equates to just short of the first year of a degree I think. High school here finishes after year 12.