Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by Amazulu
BTW He does have a mandate (these cuts are one part of it)
Nope, he doesn't.

He specifically said he wasn't going to go around cutting front line services. First thing he does is go around cutting front line services. No excuses, no plausible deniability - he flat out did the opposite of what he was put in to do.

A mandate only covers what you said you were going to do, and even then its questionable if voters can't pick and choose policies.

Mandate becomes one of those weasel-words that political liars use to avoid the fact that they are supposed to be carrying out the will of the people, not going 'off piste'. When it's as blatant as this I think its obvious that the individual credibility in that post and needs to be jailed immediately.

If he syphoned off $10m from the state treasury into his personal coffers, you'd have no problem with jailing him immediately - yet under your reading of his responsibilities he should be able to do what he likes because he was the least worst option picked by the voters.

I think when a politician fails in such a fraudulent way as this, he NEEDS to go directly to jail.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed I don't recall his campaign stating any cuts. But to give any political party such a mandate is bad for democracy.
It was of course a rather cynical move by the QLD govt in striking so early in their term. They knew darn well there would be a big backlash...and wanted plenty of time for the electorate to forget. Not forgetting they have the numbers to be able to afford a bit of a cull....
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:00 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
I think when a politician fails in such a fraudulent way as this, he NEEDS to go directly to jail.
To be fair - any half decent weasel politician would be able to argue:

"It was never my intention to cut services as deeply as I have had to - but information that came to light AFTER I was elected indicated the problem was far more severe than was first thought. Given the new information revealed by the extensive audit performed by respected former treasurer P.Costello was so serious we had no option but to take on a more serious course of corrective action."

Of course the fact that the P.Costello report was a pile of discredited tosh doesn't enter into it -the point is we WANT our politicians to be able to respond to changing circumstances and do the right thing.

A representative democracy does not mean the people get to decide everything. It means the people get to chose someone who they think has the best judgement and THEN trust that person to act according to that best judgement.

So I dont think Newman should go to jail - that's a ridiculous idea. I think he's a fool and an evil destructive little despot, but blame should fall entirely on the shoulders of the people of Qld (and Ashgrove in particular) who proved to be such poor judges of character.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, he doesn't.

He specifically said he wasn't going to go around cutting front line services. First thing he does is go around cutting front line services. No excuses, no plausible deniability - he flat out did the opposite of what he was put in to do.

A mandate only covers what you said you were going to do, and even then its questionable if voters can't pick and choose policies.

Mandate becomes one of those weasel-words that political liars use to avoid the fact that they are supposed to be carrying out the will of the people, not going 'off piste'. When it's as blatant as this I think its obvious that the individual credibility in that post and needs to be jailed immediately.

If he syphoned off $10m from the state treasury into his personal coffers, you'd have no problem with jailing him immediately - yet under your reading of his responsibilities he should be able to do what he likes because he was the least worst option picked by the voters.

He has a mandate.

If you feel that he has lied to you then talk to your MP to see if you can get him impeached (or whatever the process is called). If you get no joy, then start a movement to get him out. If you think that he has commited fraud, speak to the police. Fraud is a criminal offence and they will need to get involved.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
So I dont think Newman should go to jail - that's a ridiculous idea. I think he's a fool and an evil destructive little despot, but blame should fall entirely on the shoulders of the people of Qld (and Ashgrove in particular) who proved to be such poor judges of character.
There it is in a nutshell.

All to be decided in 2016. In the meantime, onwards and upwards.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There it is in a nutshell.

All to be decided in 2016. In the meantime, onwards and upwards.
Or onwards and downwards, as it will be for many Queensland families.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Or onwards and downwards, as it will be for many Queensland families.
People lose their jobs all the time, you've just got to move on. Plenty of people in mining in WA and Qld have been given the shove over the last 6 weeks too. I've been fired plenty of times in the past and I'm sure I will again in the future.

Nobody has a right to a job. Just build a bridge and get over it.

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 18th 2012 at 8:39 am.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

People lose their jobs all the time, you've just got to move on. Plenty of people in mining in WA and Qld have been given the shove over the last 6 weeks too. I've been fired plenty of times in the past and I'm sure I will again in the future.

Nobody has a right to a job. Just build a bridge and get over it.
Whilst I agree with your general sentiment.
My concern is the 57% cuts to Rural ops directly affect my ability to protect my community from bushfires. A job I do for free that requires training & support from competent sources. Just the added travel time for that support to arrive is life threatening. That's if there's anyone left to send.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:59 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My concern is the 57% cuts to Rural ops directly affect my ability to protect my community from bushfires. A job I do for free that requires training & support from competent sources. Just the added travel time for that support to arrive is life threatening. That's if there's anyone left to send.
And that's the concern of a lot of us. Front-line services are being cut, that is endangering not only those out there like you, volunteering and putting their lives on the line with (now) a minimum of training and back-up, but also the ordinary Joe Public. When Joe Public needs an ambulance, or his house is on fire, or his brother has broken a leg bushwalking and needs evacuation by air......building a bridge is going to be f&&k all use to them.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Evidentially, that's not true, at least as far as the wealthy are concerned, and not when those tax cuts are created from spending cuts - which creates recessions.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/09/17...boost-economy/
Mmm I said tax cuts create a temporary boost and never mentioned the wealthy. Tax is as much a weapon as spending.

Too right. Now is when it should be investing.
Investing means projects etc not business as usual day to day government. Day to day spending has to be kept in check. I see no reason for a Keynesian splurge now. That weaponry must be kept for when it is really needed. In a recession (which Australia is not in) naturally creates extra goverment spending in increased welfare. We do not need extra spending as when the recession comes that will increase.
Actually, state debt is generally speaking never repaid (as I showed, states and households run on different rules). What it needs is for the debt to be managed.
Bull. The state continuously issues bonds that must be repaid in time and interest paid on. Money is not free. Inflation, which destroys wealth, is the inevitable result of so call "free money". Over borrowing leads to a state where bonds are needed to pay for the interest on bonds. That is where Argentina got to and Argentina decided to default. Argentina is now denied access to the international bonds market. Argentina now prints money creating inflation and forces local pensioners to invest in bonds at a rate lower than inflation. That is wealth destruction.

The different rules mean different responsibilities. Countries that appear to be irresponsible pay higher interest rates leaving less in the budget.
The main discussion really needs to be on making those who currently don't pay their fair share to pay up...
And who or what would that be? Tax has to be practical and designed to bring in an income to balance long term expenditure. Tax policy has to be about maximising wealth for all and not attacking a particular segment of society.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:28 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I live very near a bush fire prone area and the house could come under an ember attack in a bush fire. Maybe extra land taxes to pay for people who like the bush are needed to afford to protect that housing.
Originally Posted by cresta57
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
I live very near a bush fire prone area and the house could come under an ember attack in a bush fire. Maybe extra land taxes to pay for people who like the bush are needed to afford to protect that housing.
No win situation then, those of us that can't afford to live in overpriced city locations & have to live in bum**** nowhere will have to live in cardboard boxes, we all know how easy they burn.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Party on champ

Finally, your mandate to carry on discussing this for ever...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

At least Newman isn't just cutting vital services.

Funding for fundamentalist christian chaplains from Scripture Union/Access Ministries to "go and make disciples" through a "God-given open door to children and young people" in Queensland Government State Schools has been increased.

(Quotes from: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...516-1ep92.html)

Well that's ok then.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by fish.01
At least Newman isn't just cutting vital services.

Funding for fundamentalist christian chaplains from Scripture Union/Access Ministries to "go and make disciples" through a "God-given open door to children and young people" in Queensland Government State Schools has been increased.

(Quotes from: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...516-1ep92.html)

Well that's ok then.
Stunning. As far as I can tell they manage to promote themselves very nicely without the aid od State Schools.

Besides that, as a fully paid-up Witch I object! Not that he'd listen, but I'll object all the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.