Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you read the posts by Cresta and my links re firefighters? If they aren't frontline then who is?

This is about the unfair mass culling of jobs at a moment's notice and with no logical thought process behind it - as I've stated before. Many of us do not consider ourselves "frontline"- I'm told mine is as frontline as my agency gets, I'm not sure I agree with that definition personally, the world would go on without us, but once paramedics and firefighters are getting axed that is a little more serious. I've also never used the phrase "job for life"as I don't believe in it - I'm all for accountability. You need to try and see the point that I and others are making. Thousands of people were informed - many by email - out of the blue that their roles, many of them essential to the everyday lives of ordinary people, were axed. Those staff were told that they could transfer to other jobs, only there aren't any, cos they've been axed. Many of these staff are experts in their fields - with skills the government badly needs - but because of their position falling on the wrong side of the line they are gone. There is no logic behind the huge number of jobs culled, and any savings could have been achieved less painfully with a staggered redundancy programme over the next 12 months or so. Apart from a lack of logic the cuts are being delivered in a brutal way - humanity seems in short supply at present here.

Two people I was speaking with yesterday are the only people in their department with any knowledge of a major disaster related programme. They are now out of work, no-one in the department has any knowledge of the processes and that department's participation in the programme has stalled with huge financial implications. I could give several specific examples but I still have my job (thank the Goddess) and hence I am careful only to discuss what is already in the public domain.
I know a few firefighters, and they live the life of Riley, most have enough time to work another job like relief teaching. Plus with advances in technology not as many men are needed anymore. There are always two sides to every story, and people always act in their own self-interest. Sometiems government have to make tough decisions for the betterment of the state/country as a whole.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
So what you are essentially saying is that people who are public servants should expect "jobs for life." People from ireland moved to Australia because there are so few jobs over in Ireland but we all expected to cry buckets for people who may have to move states for jobs? gee, we are breeding people soft these days. No-one, the world or any government, owes people a living.
As she's said time and time again on this thread, no that's not what she's saying at all.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are essentially saying is that people who are public servants should expect "jobs for life." People from ireland moved to Australia because there are so few jobs over in Ireland but we all expected to cry buckets for people who may have to move states for jobs? gee, we are breeding people soft these days. No-one, the world or any government, owes people a living.
Which is a lot easier to say when you have a job, food on the table, etc.

No-one is saying that the world owes them a living, they would just like to see the rationale behind what appears to be random slashing of jobs across all sectors of Queenslands public services

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 22nd 2012 at 5:06 am. Reason: spelling as always
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As she's said time and time again on this thread, no that's not what she's saying at all.
I really don't think he's listening Pen.
Of course, in the case of some people it WAS a job for life - and death.

I know a few firefighters, and they live the life of Riley, most have enough time to work another job like relief teaching. Plus with advances in technology not as many men are needed anymore. There are always two sides to every story, and people always act in their own self-interest. Sometiems government have to make tough decisions for the betterment of the state/country as a whole.
So you are saying there are too many firefighters on Queensland? I think I might leave that one for Cresta, I would find it hard to be polite while answering - except to say that many firefighters, having worked the shifts they are opermitted to work in a week, then have second jobs to help pay the bills. Of course, computers can now put out fires can't they, why would why need people?!!!
Life of riley? You really do have a very different way of looking at things! I am trying to understand your veiwpoint - where do you live? What job do you do and do you have a reason for enjoying seeing people suffer unemployment?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think he's listening Pen.
Of course, in the case of some people it WAS a job for life - and death.

So you are saying there are too many firefighters on Queensland? I think I might leave that one for Cresta, I would find it hard to be polite while answering - except to say that many firefighters, having worked the shifts they are opermitted to work in a week, then have second jobs to help pay the bills. Of course, computers can now put out fires can't they, why would why need people?!!!
Life of riley? You really do have a very different way of looking at things! I am trying to understand your veiwpoint - where do you live? What job do you do and do you have a reason for enjoying seeing people suffer unemployment?
It's hardly worth it Pol, I'm a volunteer so obviously I live the life of riley, I give up my spare time for free to keep ****wits like him safe from bushfires.
Wow there's jerks & jerks hey
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No, that is not what she is saying at all and has not at any time said anything of the sort.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As a wife of a firefighter of 20 years standing I take great exception to such a truly objectionable post. Your particular firefighter mates may well live the life of riley, I have no idea of their personal circumstances or whether they are in hock up to their eyeballs but take it from me, the vast vast majority do no such thing. They take on second and third jobs just to stay afloat. Technology will not put out a fire, will not rescue you or your wife if trapped in a burning building or a wrecked car.

Everyone has said time and time again that yes, public servant numbers most definitely need to be cut in Queensland. What everyone who is seeing what's happening and who know how the cuts are being made are saying is that Newman has jumped into the job, turned his back on the people who voted for him, has lied, has changed government policy to suit himself simply to cut numbers regardless of whether those jobs are necessary or not.

He has taken no time to understand how specific departments work, what they do or the ramifications of closing them down, he has simply cut numbers and Queensland as a whole, and a great many of the people who've lost their jobs will suffer for no reason. A lot of those who've lost their jobs deserved to do so, but there are also a lot who didn't and then there are those who didn't lose their jobs who are not competent and who are now running departments without the expertise to do so.

It's not rocket science. The man has cocked up big time. Yes Queensland mistakenly voted him in but that doesn't mean that we all sit back and allow him to continue unchallenged. That's not how democracy works. Government officials have to be challenged if the people consider mistakes have been made, it's how it works. That's what this thread is about.

It's not about jobs for the boys, or jobs for life. It's about cutting the numbers in an educated and detailed way.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I know many think I am one eyed regarding the UK but I have nothing on Aussietobe when it comes to seeing an Australia few others see. To him no doubt Aussie firefighters work 3 hours a day, all drive Porsches and drink VB.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone interested, here is part of the current Queensland Pay Award for FirefighterS.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:21 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Most people leaving the government are reporting there is nothing around. The word seems to be that the majority are expecting a long wait to find anything else, and I know a fair few who are resigned to spending their redundancy payouts on relocating to other States in search of work.
I'vce also heard of people returning to Ireland, the UK and New Zealand, and at least 6 suicides have so far been reported as direct results of job losses.

One guy I know has 15 years service and has never accessed his sick leave. This month he was told he needs a major back operation, the recovery time would've been covered by his sick leave. Instead he now has no job, no prospect of another (especially with impending surgery), large mortgage, and 2 kids under four who he can't be the prime carer for as he can't even lift the baby - thus the wife has to be the carer for the kids and can't work full time even if she could get a job.
It does sound as though it is starting to mirror image what has been happening here in the last few years with over one million people extra becoming unemployed, resulting in the same sort of personal tragedies on a grand scale. The reason I asked when the new jobless figures are next out, is because I read somewhere that jobs were still being created elsewhere and the figures might not go up at all.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
It does sound as though it is starting to mirror image what has been happening here in the last few years with over one million people extra becoming unemployed, resulting in the same sort of personal tragedies on a grand scale. The reason I asked when the new jobless figures are next out, is because I read somewhere that jobs were still being created elsewhere and the figures might not go up at all.
Haven't heard of any in Queensland, not in any number. Most people going out of work are resigned to finding nothing, and a lot of jobs are also going as an indirect result of the cuts - in some regional areas for example local shops will suffer cos there are a lot less wages in villages, and even in the CBD there are obvious signs of it, we were discussing yesterday places that we had all noticed, coffee shops closed, newsagents, card shop near the station just closed - its very noticeable that there are a lot less people on the trains in the morning at present.

http://www.news.com.au/national/prot...-1226479390720
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:13 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Haven't heard of any in Queensland, not in any number. Most people going out of work are resigned to finding nothing, and a lot of jobs are also going as an indirect result of the cuts - in some regional areas for example local shops will suffer cos there are a lot less wages in villages, and even in the CBD there are obvious signs of it, we were discussing yesterday places that we had all noticed, coffee shops closed, newsagents, card shop near the station just closed - its very noticeable that there are a lot less people on the trains in the morning at present.

http://www.news.com.au/national/prot...-1226479390720

Obviously you are there, but its not being reflected in the unemployment figures, I know they dropped last time out overall, but I don't recall the Queensland figures, did they go up?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Obviously you are there, but its not being reflected in the unemployment figures, I know they dropped last time out overall, but I don't recall the Queensland figures, did they go up?
Unemployment figures are nonsense anyway. There are masses of us unemployed who because we're not entitled to any Centrelink help, won't appear on the 'official' figures.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Unemployment figures are nonsense anyway. There are masses of us unemployed who because we're not entitled to any Centrelink help, won't appear on the 'official' figures.

I agree I don't believe the figures anymore than you do, but its all we have to go on, we know the fiddles that go on here in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:16 pm
Home and Happy

No idea, sorry! I don't feel they are reliable - as Pen says - so I never look at them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.