Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland New Road Rules - 12 October

Queensland New Road Rules - 12 October

Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Queensland New Road Rules - 12 October

They are fog lights. Idiots who drive with them on when they know they shouldn't will insist on calling them "driving lights". Knobs. If the button to turn them on and off has a picture of a light with a wiggly line infront of it, then it should be pretty obvious what they are. Of course if the manufacturers handbook calls them something different, that is another story.......
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Daytime running lights are what Volvos have.

And we also get thick fog (Brisvegas west).
We have some really thick ones on the northside ocasionally too. Drivers still belt down Gympie Road in it at 100km with no lights on at all though.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We have some really thick ones on the northside ocasionally too. Drivers still belt down Gympie Road in it at 100km with no lights on at all though.
Beggars belief . . . no lights when they need them (fog, heavy rain) too many when they don't!

Its madness . . .
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spartacus
Daytime running lights are what Volvos have.

And we also get thick fog (Brisvegas west).
That's the West for you

Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
If the button to turn them on and off has a picture of a light with a wiggly line infront of it, then it should be pretty obvious what they are.
Oh... is that what a wiggly line means.... ~~~

Actually I am trying to work out why someone would associate a wiggly line with fog

I'll have to look for something that turns them off now.

Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:43 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm confused by the seat belt one, I assumed it was already the law. As for fog lights, my car doesn't even have them so I can't put them on even if it's foggy. Not seen any fog since I've been here, does Australia not have it?

Maybe they're for the dust storms!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

OK, it's Friday later pm and I'm going to write my essay on car lights now...

Fog lights are for fog and Australia does not have laws requiring them as part of the ADR's - either front or rear. Some car manufacturers (foreign) either ship the cars with the fog lights as they are sold in other countries too, and just leave them on. It's not illegal to have them, in the same way it is not illegal to not have them.

Australian built cars (like the Falcon) have no rear fogs and no space for them at all. Like some Japanese cars which, when imported into the UK, had to have an additional rear fog light fitted as there was no space or wiring for one.

Fog lights are for pointing into the ground more than the distance and will illuminate the space around you and shortly in front of you.

The UK, for example, has a law that says every car must have at least one rear fog light.

Some manufacturers, like some Subaru's for example, change the rear fog lights to become additional brake lights, or re-wire the car so while the UK version would have a combined tail and brake light, and separate fog, the Aus version would have separate tail and brake lights and no fog.

Driving lights are lights that can be controlled separately or come on with your main beam. Think rally cars - they project long beams into the distance and are for long range use. Most people who have them will wire them into the main beam since they will dazzle you more than main beam will.

Very very few manufacturers sell cars with driving lights. Front fog lights are solely used for the aesthetics of the car and because people associate front fog lights with a higher specification (low spec cars will not have them, higher spec often will), as well as helping you in fog (as little as there is in Australia).

Daytime running lights are something else again. Volvo's used to have them, then stopped and made it more optional. A number of manufacturers have introduced them as a way of making their cars stand-out. Audi being a key one and the first to fully introduce it on many cars. These are 'supposed' to make your car stand out, but it is also a case going through Europe that did say (I could be wrong) that by a certain date every new car had to have daytime running lights, which in effect means your cars lights are on all the time, whether sidelights or headlights.

Therein lends the lesson from a sad old man who knows far too much about cars and lights....

Last edited by slipshot; Oct 9th 2009 at 6:04 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know why they bother with rules anyway, as the majority of people over here cant f in drive anyway.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I have foglights Used only in fog I might add.

However they were on the ute when I bought it, secondhand work bomb type of ute not a gay polished chrome trim one

There are massive fogs early morning, end of winter around 5am ( MP must be in bed then ) stunning thick fogs, in all the dips, over creeks, dams.
5am? I know 5pm but this other one has me beat
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen Fog in Brissie once in the 3 years I've been here. Went to put my rear fog lights on, searched and searched and realised I didn't have them!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
5am? I know 5pm but this other one has me beat
Horrible time and only exists for me when seen from the point of view of "its nearly the end of shift and time for bed!"
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:18 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Safin
I assume that adults flouting the seatbelt law took their own fine - but now its the drivers responsibility. I've seen fog here once and OH says that very early he's seen it a few times.
You just like your bed tooo much Safin to be up early enough to see it! Fog that is.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
You just like your bed tooo much Safin to be up early enough to see it! Fog that is.

Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:08 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Safin

Guess what guys - thick fog in parts of Brisbane this morning - definitely around Kedron and on the northside, also reported around Toowong!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:23 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
I don't know why they bother with rules anyway, as the majority of people over here cant f in drive anyway.
they drive the roman way

ie the quickest route between points a & b being a straight line
regardless of whats in the way be it roads, grass, other vechiles, pedestrians, you get it now
that back tarmaccy stuffs just a guide to get them where their going quicker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.