Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Driving Test

Queensland Driving Test

Old Aug 6th 2004, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Does anyone have experience of the practical test? My husband drives on a left hand licence so as Ulujain menioned he will have to retake both tests:scared:

I am sure that will be hard for him as he has now lapsed into lots of bad habits whilst driving. Will have to get hºm into a driving school asap
Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
It's amazing how different transport offices differ in Brisbane. I had an eye test. I think you are supposed to have an eye test by law to get your licence. They have the eye chart behind the counter, stuck on the wall , which you are supposed to read. The offices, or people who work in these transport offices differ so much here it seems.

Took mine in Redcliffe Qld transport last year... and had an eye test. ( I don't wear glasses either.. so it wasn't that)

To get my licence , I just took my brit paper licence in, my passport, and I think I also showed them my over 18 card.
Paper test like has been mentioned.You are given a card with the questions on.. and an answer sheet .. you just choose the correct answer.

Passed first time.. got the alcohol question wrong ( I picked the lowest amount.. when in fact I could drink more.. stupid to mark that wrong) . Hubby failed.. he got such an easy question wrong too ( he had three wrong in the twenty questions.. the first ten he had right, plus his extra motorbike questions he had all right too) .He had a roundabout sign wrong..LOL. I think someone else on this site had that one wrong too. What does this sign mean.. he just circled the roundabout answer ..when it should have been roundabout, give way to all on roundabout - he was most miffed! As he said that's pretty obvious, didn't think it needed spelling out for them !- Think simple , and read through all the answers carefully -and you will pass. It's not hard. I took ten minutes looking through the book to revise, for the parking distances etc ( which I had none in my test.in the end... so that was a waste of time).. and passed no worries.

The questions differ a bit on these sheets.. hubby did not have all the exact same questions I had either.
.................................................. .

The five year licence is the max one you buy.. You can also get a year two years etc.. but why anyone would pay for one of those I don't know.

renewing them is for photo purposes I would think.. don't you have to renew your photo British ones every so often? ( I don't know.. I don't have a photo British one, I have a paper one).. interesting though.. I have my over 18 card on me too in the back of my purse .. and there seems no expiry date on it , not one that I can see anywhere on it- and that's a photo ID card. I have aged since then ..lol this photo is around 5, 6 year old.

I always look a bit of a shifty looking character in these photo's.. does anyone like their photo on their driving licence or other Id cards? My hubby always looks like a right crim in his. passport the lot - he looks like he's a mad man escaped from somewhere.

No eye test at Cleveland, so if you're blind head there.

I totally agree with Ceri about reading the questions CAREFULLY. Thats how I failed first time. Got all cocky and thought I know all this, then failed on a GIVE WAY question because Car A was allowed to pass in front off car B but not Car C because that was on the right, but only because the stop sign had been moved to a Give way sign that should have been in front of some solid line that were instead dashed and shouldn't have been there.............get my jest......take your time and reread the questions and reassess the pictures. Another one was about turning right and where you should be in the road when turning. Left, Right or center. I didn't read it properly and selected right. DOH!!!!! If i'd read it correctly, center actually meant the right hand side of your lane by the centre line.

Passed on second attempt. Its funny because I was more worried about the motorbike questions. I have had a full bike license for 17 years, but haven't been on one for quite a while (Mrs Sharpy's insistence). Yet I got allthese correct.

One piece of advice , get the Queensland Driving book. Name eludes me, although others will know. If you read the question and answers sections, this is along the lines of the type of questions that you will get.

Above all, its not a big deal and is all very informal. I'm still trying to get Mrs Sharpy to go and change her license after 5 months (we're on temp visas) but she keeps freaking out. Finally getting her there next week.......If you fail, take it the next day!

cheers
Nick