Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland demerit

Queensland demerit

Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Queensland demerit

I am curious. Per a previous thread I got two tickets 3 minutes apart and have paid them. I am now much more cautious about my driving and the slower speed limits here. My question is how long do the demerits stay on your record in Queensland? My colleagues at work are divided between 2 or 3 years. I know it is 3 years for other states but curious about Queensland.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland demerit

This info should answer your question.

Open licence holders

If you hold a Queensland open licence you may receive a warning letter when you gain at least 7 demerit points in a 3 year period.

If 12 or more demerit points are recorded against your traffic history in a 3 year period, you will be sent an 'Accumulation of Demerit Points – Notice to Choose'.

The 'Accumulation of Demerit Points – Notice to Choose' will advise you to choose between:

having your open licence suspended for a requisite period
or
agreeing to continue driving under a period of good behaviour for 1 year.
You may notify the department of your choice by either:

using the department's online service Notify Demerit Point Enforcement Choice
or
present the Notification of Driver Licence Enforcement Option – in Person Nomination (form F4012) at a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre, authorised Queensland Government Agency Program office, or a licence-issuing police station.
If you choose to continue driving under a period of good driving behaviour for 1 year, you may keep your current licence provided that you do not accumulate more than 1 demerit point during the 1 year period.

If you accumulate 2 or more demerit points during this period, your licence will be suspended for double the requisite suspension period that would have applied had you taken the licence suspension in the first place.

Sources:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...it-points.aspx

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Li...le_nov2012.pdf
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

The infringement stays on your driving record forever.

Be very careful as certain offences get double the original demerits if you commit the same offence again wthin 12 mths.

After being done a while ago looked into it and wonder how anybody in Queensland holds on to their licence. Oh silly me, many don't have one and a great
many young males seem to have it taken off them at some point, much to the inconvenience of whoever has to take them to work every day for six months.

Last edited by neil248; Apr 15th 2013 at 9:24 am.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil248
After being done a while ago looked into it and wonder how anybody in Queensland holds on to their licence.
My hubby is a pretty cautious driver (I'm a nervous passenger who nags when over speed limit, awful I know). On most drives he is in the slow lane (not that there is a slow lane here with undertaking), and I would say at least 90% of drivers go faster than him. In the 7 years we have been here, he has got 3 speeding tickets. His mates at work just take the mick, saying 'don't you know where the cameras are?' They drive full pelt and slow down for the cameras... No excuse for speeding - but it seems that the key to holding on to your licence is learning where you're likely to be caught, and not worrying so much about safety..
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
the key to holding on to your licence is learning where you're likely to be caught, and not worrying so much about safety..
what a crock, don't speed don't get a ticket.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 10:03 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is a pretty cautious driver (I'm a nervous passenger who nags when over speed limit, awful I know). On most drives he is in the slow lane (not that there is a slow lane here with undertaking), and I would say at least 90% of drivers go faster than him. In the 7 years we have been here, he has got 3 speeding tickets. His mates at work just take the mick, saying 'don't you know where the cameras are?' They drive full pelt and slow down for the cameras... No excuse for speeding - but it seems that the key to holding on to your licence is learning where you're likely to be caught, and not worrying so much about safety..
Unfortunatly you're right. The trouble with mobile speed cameras is they are now easy to spot, especially if you know where they are set up, even in unmarked vans, they are becoming recognisable since the cops use the same ones in the same places.
With fixed and mobile cameras, I can roughly tell where they are now by watching the cars ahead of me slow down to 90-95kph (or 100-105kph where applicable), then speed up once out of range.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:31 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

In the 7 years we have been here, he has got 3 speeding tickets. ..
I've had one in 30 years, and that was in Victoria. In 14 years living in Queensland I've never had one - and that isn't because I drive everywhere at a snail's pace.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I've had one in 30 years, and that was in Victoria. In 14 years living in Queensland I've never had one - and that isn't because I drive everywhere at a snail's pace.
..... you get the bus everywhere now?