Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Builders License

Queensland Builders License

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

bigjuneuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Queensland Builders License

I need some help folks as I am struggling to find any info as to where I need to go and register as a Carpenter in and around Brissie. Also what should I expect? i.e a practical test, thery test or what?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Queensland Builders License

Originally posted by bigjuneuk
I need some help folks as I am struggling to find any info as to where I need to go and register as a Carpenter in and around Brissie. Also what should I expect? i.e a practical test, thery test or what?

Any help would be much appreciated!
edited: Try this link first Building Services Authority QLD/

You could try the QLD Office of Fair Trading ( I looked at this but it didnt seem to help that much, so.....

or QLD Master Builders

It may be somewhere to start.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Dec 7th 2003 at 10:44 pm.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been going to post an update to geting my licence for a few days so this looks like the ideal place for it.

I don't know if there's an easier way to do this but here's the route I've gone with.
After we arrived and I touted my c.v around I got loads of job offers but all required a licence [or there's a serious risk of doing work and then not being paid for it as you have no licence and they don't have to pay unlicenced men] It does happen and not just to poms an aussie mate who has a carpentry licence did a couple of weeks tiling for a bloke who refused to pay him as he'd no licence for that trade.
Anyway to the application.
First you have to get your trade papers certified. Yes the same ones you had verified by the TRA. This time you have to get them verified by the DET department of education and training [the number is in the phone book] They charge you just short of $300 for verification of the paperwork and then make you do a skills test at a local TAFE at another $300 You can pay a lesser fee of $130 ish if you have a job already and can be verified on site by an approved officer. I need 2 trades verifying so that's twice the amount.

Second you have to attend a 3 day training course in business management at a local TAFE. More expense

Thirdly armed with your bit's of paper you then contact the BSA building services authority and apply for a licence to trade. That costs approx $500 as there's an initial fee and then a renewal fee.

You can then work as a licenced subcontractor in the building industry.
TIP:don't come at this time of year as the TAFE closes for ages and you'll not be able to get your trades assessed until the begining of February
TIP: You have to prove your a permanent resident so you can't apply before you get here [so they say]
TIP:Bring a new pen with loads of ink as you'll need to get used to filling in mountains of paperwork [I see now why there's such a large paper and pulping industry here in QLD
Sean:lecture:
Old Dec 8th 2003, 5:35 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Sean

holy cow, i like the bit about after the tra have done there bit you then get it veriifed?????
I am going to strugle in Oz being the sort of contractor in the UK who turns down no works.

Have you done your practical test and if so what did it consist of.

Is the TRA on shutdown at the moment too my papers are in on fastrack but at the moment it aint all that fast....

Uni.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:47 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

bloody hell
And i thought the building game was getting strict in the uk

kev
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cresta57
I've been going to post an update to geting my licence for a few days so this looks like the ideal place for it.

I don't know if there's an easier way to do this but here's the route I've gone with.
After we arrived and I touted my c.v around I got loads of job offers but all required a licence [or there's a serious risk of doing work and then not being paid for it as you have no licence and they don't have to pay unlicenced men] It does happen and not just to poms an aussie mate who has a carpentry licence did a couple of weeks tiling for a bloke who refused to pay him as he'd no licence for that trade.
Anyway to the application.
First you have to get your trade papers certified. Yes the same ones you had verified by the TRA. This time you have to get them verified by the DET department of education and training [the number is in the phone book] They charge you just short of $300 for verification of the paperwork and then make you do a skills test at a local TAFE at another $300 You can pay a lesser fee of $130 ish if you have a job already and can be verified on site by an approved officer. I need 2 trades verifying so that's twice the amount.

Second you have to attend a 3 day training course in business management at a local TAFE. More expense

Thirdly armed with your bit's of paper you then contact the BSA building services authority and apply for a licence to trade. That costs approx $500 as there's an initial fee and then a renewal fee.

You can then work as a licenced subcontractor in the building industry.
TIP:don't come at this time of year as the TAFE closes for ages and you'll not be able to get your trades assessed until the begining of February
TIP: You have to prove your a permanent resident so you can't apply before you get here [so they say]
TIP:Bring a new pen with loads of ink as you'll need to get used to filling in mountains of paperwork [I see now why there's such a large paper and pulping industry here in QLD
Sean:lecture: [Well I knew it wouldnt be easy, but bloody hell!!
I guess I better have a quick refresher course]
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi peeps, I just got a v nice e mail from bsa in Queensland local government office, so here it is.

Good Morning Graham

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding licensing.

If you are seeking to apply for a licence in Queensland there are four criteria that you need to have in place to meet the minimum requirements. These are as follows:

Technical qualifications

Any 1 of the following-

(a) successful completion of either of the following courses-

(i) apprenticeship in carpentry or carpentry and joinery;

(ii) Certificate III in General Construction (Carpentry-Framework/Formwork/Finishing) BCG30798;

(b) successful completion of a course the authority considers is at least equivalent to a course mentioned in paragraph (a);

(c) a recognition certificate as a qualified carpenter;

(d) a qualification or statement of attainment of required competency issued by an approved authority for the class of licence.

Graham, if you have completed an apprenticeship and need to get this qualification recognised, you will need to contact the Skills Recognition Branch in the Regional area where you will be residing in Brisbane; I have attached a link to their website for you to view, they will either transfer or equate your trade apprenticeship papers to meet the technical qualification as listed above. ;http://www.training.qld.gov.au/skill...tm?empAppTrain

Managerial requirements

An approved managerial qualification. - info attached: http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/scripts/factsheet.exe?id=4

Experience requirements

Two years experience, which includes experience gained during an apprenticeship or other training, in-

(a) the scope of work for the class; or

(b) other work, if the authority considers experience in the other work is at least equivalent to experience in the scope of work for the class.

Financial requirements the minimum requirement is attached: http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/shared/req...src=Contractor

Please find enclosed the relevant application forms to apply for a licence in Queensland.

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/licenceapp/individual/

Thank you & kind regards

Customer Service Officer