British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Queensland/Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/queensland-brisbane-662215/)

paulo999 Apr 1st 2010 1:09 pm

Queensland/Brisbane

Hi folks i am probably (only few hurdles to go) moving to qld,probably Brisbae area as a station officer in the fire service,my own email is <removed> .I am 50% exited and 50%, TERRIFIED OF THE WHOLE MOVE-PERHAPS YOUS WILL understand that?.

A few questions if anyone can answer would be greatly appreciated.

Where in/near Brisbane is good for renting(wont buy for a while) i want quiet nice area,within travel of hip areas.

Anyone know of bodybuidling gyms ?-real ones ,probably where doormen ,bodybuilders etc go not c.v stuff types,also community centre ones with suffficient equipment -as thats my major hobby.

I want a dog- anyone know of rescue centre-having to leave my 15yr old hound here and need to have anew one.

Banks-whats best bank to put my funds into?

investment-any investors-proprty or otherwise-whats the smart move there? was propertyb here until credit crunch

any answers would be greatly appreciated

ps.....how did you manage the heat-how long did acclimitisation take?

ABCDiamond Apr 2nd 2010 9:00 am

Re: Queensland/Brisbane

Originally Posted by paulo999 (Post 8465480)

It depends on what part of QLD, or even what part of Brisbane you go to.

Some people on here complain about the constant 40+ degrees... but in my area it never even gets near 40.

For example, in my area...

Monthly Maximum Temperatures according to www.bom.gov.au

From the Redlands Weather Station

32.5°C 15th Feb 2010
33.2°C 18th January 2010
32.0°C 13th December 2009
31.8°C 29th November 2009
33.3°C 4th October 2009
28.4°C 23rd September 2009
31.6°C 25th August 2009
23.5°C 22nd July 2009
23.0°C 8th June 2009
28.9°C 4th May 2009
29.0°C 15th April 2009
31.9°C 1st March 2009
32.4°C 9th Feb 2009
32.6°C 1st Jan 2009

paulo999 Apr 2nd 2010 12:17 pm

thanks for reply --more please thats quite reassuring ;):lol:

dhama Apr 2nd 2010 12:37 pm

Where in/near Brisbane is good for renting(wont buy for a while) i want quiet nice area,within travel of hip areas.

Kenmore,Indorroopilly,taringa ,Toowong are good

http://britishexpats.com/forum/clear.gif
Anyone know of bodybuidling gyms ?-real ones ,probably where doormen ,bodybuilders etc go not c.v stuff types,also community centre ones with suffficient equipment -as thats my major hobby.

Fitness first is the Gym you will find in almost all areas

I want a dog- anyone know of rescue centre-having to leave my 15yr old hound here and need to have anew one.
\No idea

Common wealth bank , NAB , ANZ Are better

investment-any investors-proprty or otherwise-whats the smart move there? was propertyb here until credit crunch

Tough Question. How ever what ever the property unit or house definitly will give you profit after some years

ps.....how did you manage the heat-how long did acclimitisation take?[/QUOTE]

paulo999 Apr 2nd 2010 7:25 pm

THANKS GUYS

ABCDiamond Apr 3rd 2010 12:16 am

For a Bank account with no monthly fees:

National Australia Bank (NAB) announced today 15th Oct 2009, it would be abolishing more bank fees on customer accounts.

Fees to be abolished include current $4 and $5 monthly account service fees on NAB’s most popular everyday personal transaction accounts: Classic and e-Banking.

No minimum monthly deposit required.

The fees will be abolished with effect from January 22, 2010. Monthly account service fees are one of the most unpopular fees charged by banks, and commonly cost customers between $3 and $10 a month, or up to $120 a year.

Some examples for you to check on…

HSBC Bank – No monthly fees, No minimum balance, No minimum regular deposits needed, Unlimited ATM transactions without incurring an ATM Operator Fee at almost 2,700 HSBC, Westpac, St.George and BankSA ATMs nationally.
Bankwest – Hero Transaction Account, Fee Free banking on this account if you have wages or salary of at least $2,000 per month deposited into the account. Unlimited ATM transactions without incurring an ATM Operator Fee at all Commonwealth Bank and Bankwest ATM’s nationwide. Aug 13, 2009
St George Bank – Fee Free banking on the Complete Freedom account if you have wages or salary of at least $2,000 per month deposited into the account, OR, you are a student. Aug 13, 2009
If you want a good deposit rate:
5.85% should be the rate to look for (3rd April 2010) for instant access.
or 6.56% for 1 year term to about 7.44% for 5 year term

paulo999 Apr 3rd 2010 8:19 am

:thumbup: thanks much apreciated

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8468806)
For a Bank account with no monthly fees:

If you want a good deposit rate:
5.85% should be the rate to look for (3rd April 2010) for instant access.
or 6.56% for 1 year term to about 7.44% for 5 year term

I like tea Apr 3rd 2010 10:05 am

Good luck with your move to Brisbane. It will be a culture shock but if you're young and enthusiastic should be able to weather the rough patches and settling in feelings.

There is a RSPCA shelter for homeless, abused animals at Fairfield not far from the city centre. It's open everyday ( I think ) where you can view the dogs etc. Its a really run down place but they have aquired land elsewhere and are set to move soon. However, Australians have an unusual relationship with their dogs, many keeping them outside all the time and hardly ever taking them on walks etc. So if you are renting there may be a no pets clause in your tenancy agreement and you may have to wait until you purchase a place of your own before you are able to have a dog.

It's probably best to see where your place of work is going to be and rent close by as the transport infra structure is very poor in Brisbane and expensive. I live on the Southside - Annerley, Greenslopes, Coorparoo and Mount Gravatt East have lots of units but tend to be expensive ( first 3) as they are in a 7 klms radius of Brisbane.

Trevski Apr 4th 2010 4:07 am

Have you already been told what station you will be in charge of etc,its just i was a crew commander for 10 years in northants but when i came over here i was shocked at the way the fire service handle them selfs and i was told that i would have to start again as a newbie, bottom of every one on the pump, so i did not join the fire service here in Brisbane after all my training i had done in UK.

OzWannabee Apr 4th 2010 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 8470758)
Have you already been told what station you will be in charge of etc,its just i was a crew commander for 10 years in northants but when i came over here i was shocked at the way the fire service handle them selfs and i was told that i would have to start again as a newbie, bottom of every one on the pump, so i did not join the fire service here in Brisbane after all my training i had done in UK.

Yeah that's what my OH was told as well so he didn't join either.

andycoppock Apr 4th 2010 10:14 am

Hi, we went to the gold coast a couple of years ago on holiday.
We went to Burleigh Heads, it was fantastic. I guess more inland you're going to find quieter areas, but at least if you go towards the gold coast area you will be nearer to the theme parks and beaches etc.

Good luck!
Andy

Demented Ferret Apr 6th 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by paulo999 (Post 8465480)
Hi folks i am probably (only few hurdles to go) moving to qld,probably Brisbae area as a station officer in the fire service,my own email is <removed> .I am 50% exited and 50%, TERRIFIED OF THE WHOLE MOVE-PERHAPS YOUS WILL understand that?.

A few questions if anyone can answer would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know when you find a Body Buiding Gym, mine develops back problems and could do with a better one building. Ha Ha.

Acclimatising took one summer, we use our aircon more in winter for heating.

We bank with Commonwelth, they have been very helpful.

Thinking of Hip areas, you maybe looking at the wrong country me thinks.

All the best

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2010 12:16 pm

Don't touch Fitness First with a barge pole.

Apparently (just did a quick google) the gym at UQ in St Lucia is one of the best for powerlifting etc. There's an AWL (Animal Welfare League) at Coombabah (north end of Gold Coast). We acclimatised in a couple of weeks, I think we're a bit odd though :lol:

fish.01 Apr 6th 2010 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 8475683)
Let me know when you find a Body Buiding Gym, mine develops back problems and could do with a better one building. Ha Ha.

Acclimatising took one summer, we use our aircon more in winter for heating.

We bank with Commonwelth, they have been very helpful.

Thinking of Hip areas, you maybe looking at the wrong country me thinks.

All the best

It must seem like that given where you live :p

fish.01 Apr 6th 2010 2:01 pm

http://www.thorsgym.com.au/index.php