Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:07 am
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Hi Miss Betty,

I know you may have a bitter taste in your mouth re QAS and I wish you well going offshore, but can you give me any info on current recruitment. I am looking to apply to QAS for either far north coast ( Cairns, Port Douglas ) or maybe Brisbane.

I think they still do visa sponsorship ?? and I know I will have to pitch up in Brisbane for an interview if asked. More importantly is their anything to look forward to as you seem to have had enough of them and are moving on, is it really that bad.

I am 45 next year and have got really itchy feet for a move down under, but I will have to be quick ! We set our hearts on Queensland and really like the tropics, I read these threads all the time and am aware of the SJA in Perth recruiting but to be honest it does'nt have the same appeal as the east coast.
What are the general T&Cs like average pay,and is it possible to progress to ICP level before I reach retirement!

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Crellins
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

guga is an unknown quantity at this point

QAS are still recruiting from the UK, but staff levels are getting close to the set limits. There are 3 uni's churning out bsc para's and not all of them get picked up and some get offers for jobs in the country stations. Apply and try your luck.

Relocation package of 5k and they pay for your visa.

You can apply for uk para rpl to icp, but be aware that there is a very stiff a&p exam, three months supervised practice and then a scenario panel. Entry to icp challenge relies on your attitude and performance as an ACP when you arrive and your prior work experience. A bit of humility and not being a know it all helps. Guys that have passed tend to have long experience as a uk para (>10yrs) and something else like team leader or resus trainer. They are not interested if you have been of road as a full time manager or trainer QAS icp is at pgd level and will be a masters qualification next year, competition to get on the course is high.
Life as an icp is better than ACP but the work here is very different. I worked Xmas and new year and had one drunk in ten 12 hour shifts. Little violence Generally more respect for Ambos from the public.

You can make around 80k working in bris, without working your days off. More if you are an OT hound.

Work is good, pay is good, conditions are poor as union is pretty toothless !
Sun shines, too hot and wet in summer but great long dry clear days over winter with temps around 25.

Nothing is perfect, but make the most of it
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Major freeze on Queensland Govt jobs as a result of this weeks election, so I'd be wary of holding out too many hopes in the QAS direction for a while
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:34 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crellins
Hi Miss Betty,

I know you may have a bitter taste in your mouth re QAS and I wish you well going offshore, but can you give me any info on current recruitment. I am looking to apply to QAS for either far north coast ( Cairns, Port Douglas ) or maybe Brisbane.

I think they still do visa sponsorship ?? and I know I will have to pitch up in Brisbane for an interview if asked. More importantly is their anything to look forward to as you seem to have had enough of them and are moving on, is it really that bad.

I am 45 next year and have got really itchy feet for a move down under, but I will have to be quick ! We set our hearts on Queensland and really like the tropics, I read these threads all the time and am aware of the SJA in Perth recruiting but to be honest it does'nt have the same appeal as the east coast.
What are the general T&Cs like average pay,and is it possible to progress to ICP level before I reach retirement!

Thanks

Crellins
Hi sorry but I don't really have any info re recruitment as such. There are multiple vacancies advertised internally atm mainly around Brisbane, Beenleigh and Mount Isa but the uni's are churning out staff like there is no tomorrow and they all come out as ACP's. I totally disagree with the posting above. I work in a large city and worked NYE's - got totally flogged, rude, horrible drunks and I was stuck with a really nervous student who nearly pooped her pants when our first lovely drunk of the night tried taking a couple of swings at us lol!

As for being an ICP well they make it as difficult as possible. I have 15 years in and was on HEMS, applied, kept my head down and waited patiently but they kept fobbing me and two others off constantly saying they did not have enough ICP's. My mate's hubby is an ICP and he's great but he told me recently that a senior member of QAS staff told him that recruiting from the UK was a huge mistake as we are all 'crap' and they should have looked to NZ instead - ha ha!!!!

I would seriously look at Perth, my mates who went there from the UK love it. Better climate, don't lose your skills and the option to be an industrial paramedic - just housing is quite expensive but you could look outside Perth. A good website is realestateau.com will give you a good idea of rent/buying house prices.

Look if you want to try it go for it and I wish you all the best. Just because I had a bad experience it does not mean you will but I can tell you this much, out of 26 people on my course 18 have gone back already. Good luck though, hope things work out for you and you know what they say - if you don't go you'll never know! Cheers! B.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:00 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Miss Betty,

Thanks

Crellins
P.S. Read p142 and see what others have to say - both good and bad - may help you decide!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

UKQAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hi sorry but I don't really have any info re recruitment as such. There are multiple vacancies advertised internally atm mainly around Brisbane, Beenleigh and Mount Isa but the uni's are churning out staff like there is no tomorrow and they all come out as ACP's. I totally disagree with the posting above. I work in a large city and worked NYE's - got totally flogged, rude, horrible drunks and I was stuck with a really nervous student who nearly pooped her pants when our first lovely drunk of the night tried taking a couple of swings at us lol!

As for being an ICP well they make it as difficult as possible. I have 15 years in and was on HEMS, applied, kept my head down and waited patiently but they kept fobbing me and two others off constantly saying they did not have enough ICP's. My mate's hubby is an ICP and he's great but he told me recently that a senior member of QAS staff told him that recruiting from the UK was a huge mistake as we are all 'crap' and they should have looked to NZ instead - ha ha!!!!

I would seriously look at Perth, my mates who went there from the UK love it. Better climate, don't lose your skills and the option to be an industrial paramedic - just housing is quite expensive but you could look outside Perth. A good website is realestateau.com will give you a good idea of rent/buying house prices.

Look if you want to try it go for it and I wish you all the best. Just because I had a bad experience it does not mean you will but I can tell you this much, out of 26 people on my course 18 have gone back already. Good luck though, hope things work out for you and you know what they say - if you don't go you'll never know! Cheers! B.
I wouldn't take the "crap" comment to personally as QAS ICP rashford boys club think everyone is crap. The medical directors office really has played a large part in QAS' recent decline IMO. Many decent ICPs are leaving as are ACPs who have had enough of the bullshit doubling every year since the medical directors office became about one person and his fanboys.

Let's hope the liberals act on the emails they have been getting from frustrated ambos.

The commissioner had a meeting with staff in a neighboring region because of the low morale and the large numbers of ICPs and ACPs who are transferring out to country postings if leaving for other employers including the mines.

He is accepting emails from staff who wish to raise their concerns about the way they are being treated. As you said there are lots if uni students filtering through with no on road experience at the moment who are allowing the metro areas to just about keep running. The budget has already been blown covering all the vacancies from staff leaving with overtime.

Watch this space, the older ambos reckon the union may actually start doing its job now labour have been kicked out.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:14 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by UKQAS
I wouldn't take the "crap" comment to personally as QAS ICP rashford boys club think everyone is crap. The medical directors office really has played a large part in QAS' recent decline IMO. Many decent ICPs are leaving as are ACPs who have had enough of the bullshit doubling every year since the medical directors office became about one person and his fanboys.

Let's hope the liberals act on the emails they have been getting from frustrated ambos.

The commissioner had a meeting with staff in a neighboring region because of the low morale and the large numbers of ICPs and ACPs who are transferring out to country postings if leaving for other employers including the mines.

He is accepting emails from staff who wish to raise their concerns about the way they are being treated. As you said there are lots if uni students filtering through with no on road experience at the moment who are allowing the metro areas to just about keep running. The budget has already been blown covering all the vacancies from staff leaving with overtime.

Watch this space, the older ambos reckon the union may actually start doing its job now labour have been kicked out.
Ah yes the good old boys club and now their beloved leader is back in the hot seat - marvelous! I don't take it personally as I have seen far too many stuff ups by the God Squad

I've just finished a 2 year term transfer and moved back to my old station, I wasn't keen on going back really but I'd finished my rural posting and needed to have my stuff shipped back by the QAS as per the transfer agreement. I am shocked at how low morale is and how many people are leaving. 2 people I know who had great postings on the Sunny Coast have gone to the mines and 2 ICP's I know have left and both now work offshore, all of them say they are so happy they left.

The uni grads can be a bit painful at times as they think they know everything and really they have so little experience. I like the way so many of them interfere in my assessment/treatment at every hurty knee/tummy pain/drunk but crap their pants every time we get something serious lol!

I'm hoping to be gone soon, just saving like mad, for me personally life's too short to be so unhappy at work but thats just me, I know lots of people who have made a go of it in the QAS and are happy. Would be great if the union bared its teeth a bit more, mind you one of our union reps is actually pretty good and get stuck in and gues what? He's a Pom
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

JenJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Miss Betty,

Thanks

Crellins

Hi Crellins

I went across for assessments/interview in January this year. I had 4 hours of clinical assessment which I passed then a 40 min interview which I failed!!! They had also mentioned at interview that they would expect me to get the visa myself. Just a heads up because its a long way to go to be turned down. If you do decide to go for it let me know and i'll PM you some assessment/interview details.

Jen
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:52 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by JenJP
Hi Crellins

I went across for assessments/interview in January this year. I had 4 hours of clinical assessment which I passed then a 40 min interview which I failed!!! They had also mentioned at interview that they would expect me to get the visa myself. Just a heads up because its a long way to go to be turned down. If you do decide to go for it let me know and i'll PM you some assessment/interview details.

Jen
Jen

I'm so sorry you got messed around by them but maybe you could look at Perth? All my friends from the UK who went there are really happy, you don't get deskilled and there is none of the elitist bullshit of QAS. The application time is quite drawn out but they interview you by Skype and sponsor you for a visa. I was only over there a few weeks ago and met up with some mates who work for them. Another medic friend of mine from the UK who was over as well having a look see before he starts in June so I'm not talking out of my rear end I swear!

I'd give it a go myself but I'm tired of being on road, I want to work offshore and spend some time with my family in the UK. Hope this helps you
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:01 am
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jen,

The more I read the more depressing it gets, Miss Betty and UK QAS seem to have not a lot of encouraging news about life on the frontline down there and you I assume after flying into brissie missed out during the interview (was it any thing specific). They also dont help with the visa ! does that mean they have stopped sponsoring overseas paras.

With all that and the cost of living / exchange rates I'm really worried that I may have to return my new Rayban's and flipflops and buy a new bobble hat instead.

Crellins
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:18 am
Practical Paramedic

Hi Jen,

The more I read the more depressing it gets, Miss Betty and UK QAS seem to have not a lot of encouraging news about life on the frontline down there and you I assume after flying into brissie missed out during the interview (was it any thing specific). They also dont help with the visa ! does that mean they have stopped sponsoring overseas paras.

With all that and the cost of living / exchange rates I'm really worried that I may have to return my new Rayban's and flipflops and buy a new bobble hat instead.

Crellins
Crellins I feel bad! So I tell you what - I'll list the good and bad for you lol!

Good - I have learnt a lot, had a great adventure, met some awesome people, appreciate the UK much more now, worked in remote places that I never would have got to experience, dealt with stuff like snake bites etc and I have now got Aussie citizenship - yay!

Bad - I have never been so patronised in all my life, I hated being deskilled, I have been made to feel like a second class paramedic, I've never been so stressed at work ever - and not due to the patients!

Have a think about Perth, nothing is ever going to be perfect but don't give up on your dreams mate. You can always transfer interstate at a later date if thats what you really want. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:31 am
Just Joined

JenJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasnt prepared enough for my interview. They want you to answer your questions using the STAR method (google it) I had no idea so made a complete mess of it. The questions they asked were :
Can you tell us about a specific time where youve had to use interpersonal diplomacy and advance communication skills? another question like this but about management of aggression, Can you tell us about a time when you deligated well and not so well? Can you tell us about a project youve been involved with recently where you maybe had to do research and give a presentation? what do you do for CPD?.
Yeah I was like a rabbit in headlights! I'm looking into Perth now, from recent posts it seems like I had a lucky escape. If you go for it let me know and i'll tell you what to study, from the head up I got before I left I don't think they change the papers or practicals much.

Jen
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

I've been in QAS for 3 1/2 years and I can relate to the issues that have been mentioned above. We do loose some of our skills but if anyone comes here thinking the job is better or their career will improve then more fool them. The clinical freedom in the UK will not be seen in QAS within my life time.
QLD offers life style and that has to be the reason why you and your family emigrate. A better standard of life, an awesome country and great people. Work is the same, shit days and good days, I came straight to Townsville, love the all year round perfect weather and tropical way of life.
I'm fortunate at work as I study clinical toxinology, QAS have assisted in this and I return the favour by educating colleagues/students in the clinical aspect of envenomations. There are some arrogant staff, naive to, just take them to one side and have a word. The problem with QAS is the majority of their front line staff are very inexperienced <5years post qualification experience and young to.

QAS offer a new life, if after 3 years you don't like them, you can leave and work else where in Australia, either as a medic or a beach bum, the visa is yours, so you can do as you wish. As has been stated, you don't know till you try.

John
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Lingyai is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently left the QAS now working as an industrial paramedic and although early days I've got no regrets. it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.... here are a few of the improvements.

Management actually look after your well being, try to maximise days off.
Management are doing more work than me.
Management listen to my suggestions.
Its far better pay and much simpler to understand with no penalties or bulls$%t like that.
I know what my roster will be from now till at least next year.
Other staff aren't grumbling constantly.

Working for the QAS has left a bitter taste in my mouth, they don't seem to understand that we have moved here for better quality of life not to be a paramedic, if we wanted to be a paramedic we'd have stayed in UK where we aren't glorified taxi drivers. I've spent most of the last 6 months transfering pt between hospital.

QAS made para's will tell you that they are busy, if your call being ramped and RFDS transfers busy then yes they are busy but In the UK I did more in a week than i do in a month out here.

Anyone that thinks that the UK service is bad think again, trust me they aren't bad. If you want to move for the Quality of life then make the move but asap on getting over here start making your escape plans.

one point to remember is you only have to do 2 yrs return of service, and if you do less then you've only got to repay relocation money which was $5000 in my case. if you work in the mines you'll make that in a month.

Most of the guys are great on the road but inexperienced, on girl the other day who really wants to be an ICP was saying all the jobs shes not seen or done, nil births, nil obvious spinal injuries, and loads of other things yet no doubt she'll be an ICP soon, with very little experience.

Anyway everyone must make their own decision, its not bad paid for what you do but with current government pay offers that might change. don't expect the union to do anything either.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Sent you a PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.