Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old May 18th 2007, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Originally Posted by tyne
Can someone who works for QAS confirm is overtime optional, or are you expected to work over your set hours each week. Currently I work 3 or 4 12 hour shifts a week in the UK. I would be hard having to work overtime every week, as with a young family, time together is of great value.
I am a trainee paramedic with the QAS. OT shifts are optional however there are obviously shifts that finish late or lunches that you do not get but that is the nature of the work. Generally if you run over on average it will be under an hour however the longest "shift extension" I have done was 6 hours (should have finished at 10pm ended up going from code 1 to code 1 and finished at 4am!!).
I am on a 14 week shift rotation
eg 7am - 5pm , 7am - 5pm , 9pm - 7am , 9pm - 7am then 4 days off
8am - 6pm , 8am - 6pm , 12 - 10pm , 12 - 10pm 3 days off
8-6, 8-6, 12-10, 12-10, 12-10 2days off
Sometimes 4 shifts a week, sometimes 5 shifts.
Every station is different in my region - not sure about other regions' shift patterns.
SJ
Old May 20th 2007, 5:32 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/st...8-3102,00.html

'Exhausted' ambo crash
Darrell Giles
May 20, 2007 12:00am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

FATIGUE has been blamed for a crash involving two Queensland ambulances.

The vehicles were involved in a minor nose-to-tail accident attending the same job at Kilcoy, northwest of Brisbane, about 2am on Wednesday – with no injuries to paramedics or patients.
But sources said the accident investigation report revealed both ambulance crews were exhausted from over-working and this had contributed to the crash.

"The paramedics had been without sleep for some 20 hours," a Queensland Ambulance Service insider told The Sunday Mail.

An exclusive Sunday Mail report this month revealed how the service was in crisis, with paramedics pleading for more staff and vehicles before it was too late.

Ambulance officers expressed their anger at the new roster system, which had resulted in them working more shifts every week. Many said they were physically and mentally spent.

The accident happened only hours after the ambulance employees union threatened the State Government with industrial action if it did not address rostering and recruitment.

"Fatigue was a huge part of the incident . . . the crews were extremely tired . . . although I am sure the QAS will say it is something else," the insider said.

The Emergency Medical Service Protection Association, a group representing paramedics unhappy with their union, said there must be further investigation into the crash.

"This raises serious concerns. It is a workplace health and safety issue which needs to be looked into," association president Prebs Sathiaseelan said.

Mr Sathiaseelan said management used "emotional blackmail" on employees about to go off duty, asking them to respond to an emergency case.

State Opposition emergency services spokesman Ted Malone said the incident highlighted how the Government was prepared to risk the lives of ambulance officers and the public.

"Peter Beattie has had his hands in our pockets grabbing his ambulance tax, which he promised would give us the world's best service," Mr Malone said.

"All he's done is waste our money and run the service down to the point where ambos are forced to work 20 hours without sleep. How dangerous is that?

"Bullying, harassing, running staff into the ground to the point where they're exhausted."

• A GOLD Coast paramedic is under investigation by the Ethical Standards Unit after allegedly taking an ambulance out on unauthorised business last Sunday. It was extensively damaged in a crash.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice

See what the union has to say about it:

http://www.lhmu.org.au/lhmu/news/200...214_26863.html

Deadline set for Ambulance employees’ crisis meeting
16 May 2007

An injection of 250 new Ambulance Officers a year over the next three years is the only way to ease the crisis facing Queensland’s paramedics and patients, the Ambulance Employees union said yesterday.

"Ambulance employees are under stress, straining to meet increasing demands and suffering burn out," LHMU Queensland State Secretary Ron Monaghan said.

Representatives of the LHMU's 2000 Ambulance members in Queensland have demanded the government take urgent action to alleviate the problems facing working Ambulance employees.

Union demands crisis meeting with Minister
"I have written to Emergency Services Minister Pat Purcell and set a deadline of May 25 for him to convene a crisis meeting with the LHMU to discuss the claim for an 750 extra paramedics to ensure a safe, professional service," Ron Monaghan said.

"If the deadline is not met or the government does not meet the minimum required, I will convene a telephone conference of our working Ambulance delegates to consider further action."

The LHMU represents Queensland's Ambulance employees who have a direct say on campaigns through the union's Ambulance Employees Australia (AEA) Section.

"Our members tell us there is only one thing that can fix the crisis - and that's more Ambulance employees in stations/communications centres and on the road," Mr Monaghan said.

Problems facing Ambulance employees
AEA Secretary Steve Crow said some of the practical problems facing Ambulance employees included:

* Working extra overtime past normal shift hours

* Completing shifts without adequate breaks

* Closing stations due to a lack of staff

* Unsupervised student paramedics dispatched on cases alone

* Working on rostered-days-off to meet the demands of the ambulance service

Govt must commit to community safety
"We called on the government to make a commitment to extra officers in November last year - and there has been no concrete commitment," Mr Crow said.

"This campaign is about community safety just as much as easing pressure on Ambulance employees.

"Our members are doing their best to ensure injured and sick Queenslanders get the service they need, when they need it - but it's just not possible without adequate numbers of paramedics on the ground."
Old May 20th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice

and the another one:

http://abc.net.au/news/items/200705/...htm?queensland

Paramedics' union demands crisis meeting
Wednesday, 16 May 2007. 08:47 (AEST)Wednesday, 16 May 2007. 08:47 (ACST)Wednesday, 16 May 2007. 05:47 (AWST)

The union representing Queensland's paramedics says it has demanded a crisis meeting with the Emergency Services Minister Pat Purcell by May 25.

Miscellaneous Workers Union state secretary Ron Monagan says the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) has been plagued by problems in recent months due to a lack of staff.

He says ambulance stations are being closed at night, student paramedics are being sent to emergencies alone, and paramedics are working up to 16 hours a day.

Mr Monagan says the QAS needs more staff.

"We're asking the minister to commit to 250 net ambulance officers each year for the next three years," he said.

"That's what we estimate is required to have an adequate ambulance service for Queensland."
Old May 20th 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

and the next one:

http://www.qt.com.au/localnews/story...thesubsection=

Ambos warn of staff shortage

THE Ambulance Union has set an ultimatum for the State Government – increase staffing levels or face the consequences.

Ambulance Employees Australia State organiser, former Ipswich paramedic Jason Dutton, said the number of ambulance staff was at a critical level.

“We campaigned last year for more staff but we don’t believe the Government got the message about that,” Mr Dutton said.

“The ambulance service is not in the perfect state the Government says it is. There is a significant statewide shortage of ambulance staff.”

Demand for ambulance services was far outstripping supply, particularly in the State’s mushrooming south-east, he said.

“We want an increase of 250 a year for the next five years. The government has supplied 500 in the last four years,” he said.

“We want 1250 over the next five years. Anything short of that will be a Band-Aid solution.

“The number of calls is far outreaching resources. It will get to the stage where someone rings up for the ambulance and there’s no-one there.

“Our crews will do what they can – they won’t break the law – but that’s what you do. But that won’t always be the case.”

Mr Dutton also said the ambulance service in developing rural centres of Ipswich where crews operate on an on-call basis, was badly in need of an upgrade.

“The critical areas are Laidley, Rosewood and Lowood. The workload is getting to the point where they should be 24-hour stations,” he said.

“With more people going to those places, staff are tired. “Those communities will start to suffer. The Ipswich area is well-staffed at the moment but the eventual case is there won’t be enough staff.”

Mr Dutton said the ambulance staff shortage would be the government’s “next health crisis”.

“The next budget is coming out in three weeks and this time it will have to address the ambulance crisis,” he said.

“Anything less than what we’re after will be addressed in the most severe fashion.”
Old May 20th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
I am a trainee paramedic with the QAS. OT shifts are optional however there are obviously shifts that finish late or lunches that you do not get but that is the nature of the work. Generally if you run over on average it will be under an hour however the longest "shift extension" I have done was 6 hours (should have finished at 10pm ended up going from code 1 to code 1 and finished at 4am!!).
I am on a 14 week shift rotation
eg 7am - 5pm , 7am - 5pm , 9pm - 7am , 9pm - 7am then 4 days off
8am - 6pm , 8am - 6pm , 12 - 10pm , 12 - 10pm 3 days off
8-6, 8-6, 12-10, 12-10, 12-10 2days off
Sometimes 4 shifts a week, sometimes 5 shifts.
Every station is different in my region - not sure about other regions' shift patterns.
SJ
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Is it the case that you are not allowed to refuse a call, even after your finnishing time, or are the QAS paramedics afraid to refuse. Surely working 6 houre over is just a bit much. In my service, control would not even ask us, as they know what the reply would be!
Old May 20th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tyne
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Is it the case that you are not allowed to refuse a call, even after your finnishing time, or are the QAS paramedics afraid to refuse. Surely working 6 houre over is just a bit much. In my service, control would not even ask us, as they know what the reply would be!
I wondered about that! In my service if you get the job up to finish time and there's no one else available, you do it but once you've finished that job you're off duty and don't come up as available. Plus there's the next crew waiting for the bus! How do you manage to keep going? Is there not another crew waiting for your bus at the end of your shift!
Old May 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

We cannot refuse a code 1 job if we are still logged on and there is no other car available. Sometimes we get asked if will stay and do other jobs - we CAN say no to those. The 6 hours was just a one off (the only time my shift has gone on for more than a couple of hours extra in 9 months) - hopefully that puts your minds at rest.
All OT is double time and public holidays quadruple time so if you want the OT there is good money to be made!!
SJ
Old May 21st 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
We cannot refuse a code 1 job if we are still logged on and there is no other car available. Sometimes we get asked if will stay and do other jobs - we CAN say no to those. The 6 hours was just a one off (the only time my shift has gone on for more than a couple of hours extra in 9 months) - hopefully that puts your minds at rest.
All OT is double time and public holidays quadruple time so if you want the OT there is good money to be made!!
SJ
Sounds ok to me. Double time makes it more attractive. The odd hour or two would certainly boost your pay anyway. As the shifts are 10 hours, and i am used to working 12 hour shifts anyway, an extra couple of hours would be fine.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:28 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Ooooh... seen this...

http://www.asu.org.uk/News_1.aspx?id...4&news=1:28310
Old May 21st 2007, 4:42 pm
skye

Like to see if one of ours got away with it......

Old May 21st 2007, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

teljohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am new to the forum scene and thought i would give you my low down. I have finally got my job offer from QAS , I was interviewed in December and heard via email I had the job in January and it has taken this long to hear officially if we are moving to Aus or not!

I have worked for London Amb Service for 19 years mostly in Brixton, South London. I am hopefully doing the big move in September this year and starting my induction in October (which will be a sweep up course, so say QAS). I was wondering what every one has done with their UK NHS pensions. I have heard so many conflicting stories. Keep it here or transfer it to QAS super? Can i avoid any charges? I have attempted to speak to the pension lady at HQ at LAS but im sure she is a non entity.

have sold our house and my wife the three kids and I are all ready for the move much to our parents disapproval.

would anyone like to comment on the leaving parents and granchildren issue?
Old May 21st 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by teljohn
Hi I am new to the forum scene and thought i would give you my low down. I have finally got my job offer from QAS , I was interviewed in December and heard via email I had the job in January and it has taken this long to hear officially if we are moving to Aus or not!

I have worked for London Amb Service for 19 years mostly in Brixton, South London. I am hopefully doing the big move in September this year and starting my induction in October (which will be a sweep up course, so say QAS). I was wondering what every one has done with their UK NHS pensions. I have heard so many conflicting stories. Keep it here or transfer it to QAS super? Can i avoid any charges? I have attempted to speak to the pension lady at HQ at LAS but im sure she is a non entity.

have sold our house and my wife the three kids and I are all ready for the move much to our parents disapproval.

OMG!!! I can't wait that long to hear if I'm definitely going I've no where to live!!!!!!!!!!
As for family of course upset but very supportive. Imo it would be easier in some ways if they disapproved as I'm a bit of a rebel and if they were making it difficult it would make me more determined but that's just me! contrary mary my mum would say lol
Superann! planned to take mine with me as hoping will not want to come back
Not an expert but I understand if you move it within 12 months of migration you avoid tax etc
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by teljohn

Hi,

Welcome and good luck with your move!

Pensions - the more we read the more confused we got, in the end what helped our decision was the fact that if our pensions were here and one of us passed away the partner/spouse gets your pension, all of it, unlike the UK.
You don't need a company who may charge you between 2% - 5% of it's value to bring it over either.
Should you bring it over the company you choose in Australia needs to be on the British tax office's QROPS list, this list is updated monthly.
We chose virginsuper here in Oz, and on speaking with staff within the NHS pensions transfer department were informed that they deal with Virginsuper Australia on a regular basis.
If you don't transfer it over within 6 months of arriving here then you are taxed on the amount it's increased in value over that 6 month period, not the full amount of your pension value.
Just for your interest my wife and I had a combined total of 33yrs local council/NHS pension to move over which we're currently doing.

Hope this helps

Keebs.
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Ambulance Officers voted Most Trustworthy Once Again
21/05/2007 3:46:46 PM

EMBARGOED UNTIL TUES 22 MAY

Ambulance officers have been voted Australia’s most trusted profession for the fifth year in a row.

Firefighters came a close second.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) Commissioner, Jim Higgins, welcomed the result of today’s Reader’s Digest poll, saying the accolades are richly deserved.

“Ambulance officers are always there when the community needs them most,” Commissioner Higgins said.

“By their very nature paramedics are compassionate, professional and highly skilled people who have dedicated their working life to making the community a safer and healthier place.

“They are there for people when they find themselves in medical emergencies, and to put it simply, they are a really committed group of men and women.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.