Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:44 am
Just Joined

x sussex man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

First post but been reading (and been addicted to) this tread for some while now. Actually an ex-pat who has been living in Logan (South Brisbane) for the past 6 years, so if I can be of any help as somebody who is already on the ground just give me a shout (suburbs, renting anything really).

I'm actually in the process of applying for as a Student Paramedic at QAS, something I have wanted to do for a long time and was in the early stages of applying to the Service in the UK when the opportunity to move to Aus arrived so was put on the back burner for a little while.

Would love any advise and insight on what it is like being a Paramedic and also on regions that I should apply for . Hillcrest (which I think is called Logan West) would be my local station, any of you guys been/being posted there? I understand that as a Student Para (unless you are in Brisbane centre) you are posted at your most local station as long as there is positions available there - or you can submit a request for a different region. I'm happy to move to get the right station so any advise there would be great, Im looking at the following regions; Beenleigh region (which I'm part of) Ipswich or Toowoomba regions, or possibly Warwick. I cant specify which station in the regions though, I have to select 3 different regions in order of preference, but happy to consider any others.

If any of you guys are having get togethers would be great , dont really know many Brits over here. All I can say though is that I have been here just over 5 years and have no regrets at all, love the lifestyle, have a nice 3 bed house with large yard where in the South of England I could not even afford a studio flat.... no regrets at all!!!!

As I said if you have any questions for me feel free!!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

should I stay or should I has a brilliant futureshould I stay or should I has a brilliant futureshould I stay or should I has a brilliant futureshould I stay or should I has a brilliant futureshould I stay or should I has a brilliant futureshould I stay or should I has a brilliant future

Can any body tell me what I would put down for my earnings when I arrive and apply for a mortgage in OZ. I know the basic is only low and the wages are made up with different things but do all these count towards a mortgage

Last edited by should I stay or should I; Sep 8th 2008 at 5:44 pm. Reason: Spelling lol
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Wolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really nice

Originally Posted by should I stay or should I
Can any body tell me what I would put down for my earnings when I arrive and apply for a mortgage in OZ. I know the basic is only low and the wages are made up with different things but do all these count towards a mortgage
If coming over as an Advanced Care Paramedic then your basic is approx. $48,000.00, this is what you need to put down as the penalties aren't guaranteed.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...2-3102,00.html

Best bring your pushbikes guys
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:12 am
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by should I stay or should I
Hi all, just had my visa approval letter through. Do I just send this with my passports to Australian House in London and they then send me the visa

Yes mate - just send the letter from DIAC and your passports to the Consulate in London - make sure you do it Special Delivery and return. The PostOffice will put you straight. Think it cost me about a tenner.. Got them back in 4 days!! But that I can't guarantee
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Nixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paraken
Hi Nixie,

I work at Ipswich station, came over last June (2007) from London. The station and staff are great, along with the crews at Raceview and Redbank and all the other stations in and around this area. You'll be made very welcome and given the support you need to progress to ICP if you'd like. We'll be moving to a new station in the next 12mths or so which should improve our accommodation and facilities. You'll get to sleep on nights (your own bed, if your quick) if your lucky, just finished 2 nights and got about 5 hours sleep in all. Can get very busy though and Ipswich hsp is a very busy A/E, you can be waiting 2 to 3 hours sometimes with patients on your stretchers. Don't worry though, you can only do one job at a time
We love the lifestyle and really enjoy the time off, lots to do at very little cost. Colleges Crossing is just down the road and is really lovely, fab wildlife, resident Carpet Python ( 2metres long) and fab latte's You'll love it you really will.
Now what was it you wanted to know, Ipswich suburbs, nice & not so nice. Keep clear of Leichhardt and One Mile if you can, the guys tell me there probably the worst areas in Ipswich. If you can, look at Karalee, Karana Downs, Barrellan Point, Brassall, Yamanto and Central Ipswich. These area's have some lovely properties and Ipswich is 'The most liveable city in Queensland'. Properties are still reasonable and not too far from Brisbane, Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast. We live in Bellbowrie and are very happy. If your going to buy then offer at least 15% below the asking price and work from there. We did and as you'll learn it's best to haggle on price, it's an Australian thing, never pay the quoted price that goes for most things bar food shopping.
If I can help you out in any way then just ask. Australia's a great country with some great opportunities. It's not perfect but in my experience it's as close as we've ever got.
Just another day in paradise
Hello paraken,

Thanks for the info much appreciated can now get on with looking into areas to live. I had heard of one or two unpleasant areas but thats to be expected anywhere.
Not adverse to busy nights,no breaks, waiting in cas and getting no shut eye on night shifts! As you mention you can only do one job at a time Am looking forward to a change of scenery and all the rest that goes with a new job/place.
Thanks for the offer of help too because am sure as the time comes to move there maybe one or two questions spring to mind.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

lynz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skye
Its cheaper for them to recruit from the UK and pay the expenses than to train people from scratch!
Hi there!

I have just joined this site, and need some help. I am an Ambulance Technician for 2 years in Glasgow. I want to emigrate to Australia, will they take me as a student Paramedic?

Any Info Greatly appreciated.

Lynsey x
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

lynz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by x sussex man
First post but been reading (and been addicted to) this tread for some while now. Actually an ex-pat who has been living in Logan (South Brisbane) for the past 6 years, so if I can be of any help as somebody who is already on the ground just give me a shout (suburbs, renting anything really).

I'm actually in the process of applying for as a Student Paramedic at QAS, something I have wanted to do for a long time and was in the early stages of applying to the Service in the UK when the opportunity to move to Aus arrived so was put on the back burner for a little while.

Would love any advise and insight on what it is like being a Paramedic and also on regions that I should apply for . Hillcrest (which I think is called Logan West) would be my local station, any of you guys been/being posted there? I understand that as a Student Para (unless you are in Brisbane centre) you are posted at your most local station as long as there is positions available there - or you can submit a request for a different region. I'm happy to move to get the right station so any advise there would be great, Im looking at the following regions; Beenleigh region (which I'm part of) Ipswich or Toowoomba regions, or possibly Warwick. I cant specify which station in the regions though, I have to select 3 different regions in order of preference, but happy to consider any others.

If any of you guys are having get togethers would be great , dont really know many Brits over here. All I can say though is that I have been here just over 5 years and have no regrets at all, love the lifestyle, have a nice 3 bed house with large yard where in the South of England I could not even afford a studio flat.... no regrets at all!!!!

As I said if you have any questions for me feel free!!!

Hi there!

I am currently an Ambulance Technician in Glasgow, and i want to emigrate to Oz (Queensland). Do you know if they would take me on as a student paramedic?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Lynsey
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

yes they would take you on as a student at paramedic 1 level(p1). just had email from them. you would have to fill out recognition of prior learning (RPL) to go through this process. they would not sponsor you this way and you would have to sort out your own permanent visa to be eligible. I enquired because I have 3 1/2 years as a technician and a year as a paramedic. they said I needed 3 years road experience as a quallified so i would have to go down the student road.
I would appreciate if someone would tell me different about the 3 years experience as a paramedic who has applied and been successful at p3 level with less than 3 years road experience as a paramedic because i am a little dissapointed having to gain another 2 years experience as a paramedic when I have done 4 1/2 years in EMS. cant wait that long to get from UK.
GARY
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

UKQAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garyp
yes they would take you on as a student at paramedic 1 level(p1). just had email from them. you would have to fill out recognition of prior learning (RPL) to go through this process. they would not sponsor you this way and you would have to sort out your own permanent visa to be eligible. I enquired because I have 3 1/2 years as a technician and a year as a paramedic. they said I needed 3 years road experience as a quallified so i would have to go down the student road.
I would appreciate if someone would tell me different about the 3 years experience as a paramedic who has applied and been successful at p3 level with less than 3 years road experience as a paramedic because i am a little dissapointed having to gain another 2 years experience as a paramedic when I have done 4 1/2 years in EMS. cant wait that long to get from UK.
GARY

I bet this isn't right. Your Tech should count as experience, since the original two recruiters have moved onto other things the recruitment process has gone t*ts up.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by UKQAS
I bet this isn't right. Your Tech should count as experience, since the original two recruiters have moved onto other things the recruitment process has gone t*ts up.
HI there

I know there are a few technicians who got jobs in the QAS on the coast - they did not have to join the student programme as such - they had to work with qualified officers (ACPs) as if they were students - my understanding was that they had to join in with some of the students workshops to upgrade some of their skills and would also have to do a panel (exam/scenarios etc) to be able to qualify at some point (unsure of timeframes).
I also heard that there was a problem with one of the guys who came out as a technician - there was an issue with his visa due to the "technician" status not being recognised as a relevent qualification whereas a paramedic qualification was recognised by the immigration department - I have to say that I only heard this by word of mouth and I understand the guy concerned is now back in the UK.
It is odd as there are a number of UK technicians here who have not had the same issue - so I would just check everything out thoroughly just to make sure. Maybe you could contact someone who came out as a technician and find out from the horses mouth so to speak.
Good luck with everything
S
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for replys. I am not applying as a technician though. I am a paramedic but with only a years experience and three years as a technician. thought maybe that could count as road experience as they seem to be asking for 3 years road experience. Anyone who applied in same situation I would be glad to hear from you.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice
Smile Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

:thum bup:

Hello all,

after following this thread for nearly 2 years now and being a home dad since we arrived here in Australia 2,5 years ago, I thought it is time to get back on the road again. We moved up from Brisbane to the beautiful sunshine coast 5 months ago and do not regret it at all. It's the best place to be! I am nearly finished with my papers and hope that I can hand them in before Xmas.

At the moment I am looking for other overseas paramedics new to the area, to maybe catch up and exchange experiences. My background is having been a paramedic in Germany and New Zealand for the last 12 years, we have 3 kids (5 yrs, 2 yrs, 8 months).

So if anybody is interested, just pm me! Also if you need more information about the sunshine coast area about house renting, schools etc. .......

::thu mbup:
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by garyp
thanks for replys. I am not applying as a technician though. I am a paramedic but with only a years experience and three years as a technician. thought maybe that could count as road experience as they seem to be asking for 3 years road experience. Anyone who applied in same situation I would be glad to hear from you.

Have you thought about New South Wales? I have the same time as you - 3yrs tech, 1 year para and I've been RPL'd to Intensive Care Paramedic. I'm off to Sydney for interview next month.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

not really thought about NSW. property prices for that area be out of my league. did you apply to QAS or anyone else.
gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.