Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old May 14th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Hi skye,

I didn't want to disillusion anybody with this articles, I think the situation is like it is, Queensland is growing fast, very fast, so a shortage of staff is more than natural, because you can't buy them in advance, can you?
So all in all it is good for us! But so many recruitings take time, and it is government.
Maybe it isn't better than the UK Ambulance Service, but the weather IS!!!

mille777
Old May 14th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really nice

Originally Posted by skye
Thanks Wolf - very informative! We are aware of the problems QAS have at the moment and I am sure most posters on this thread will agree the UK services are probably not that much better!

What is the feeling amongst the staff of QAS about all the british staff coming over.........

Hi Skye,

To be honest not entirely sure, I believe many of the people coming over are ECP's and training officers, so I believe some people including educators here feel intimidated, love it ha, ha!

Wolf
Old May 14th 2007, 2:37 pm
skye

I am sure they are........ we will be based in southport, which area are you from?

Old May 14th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Wolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really nice

Originally Posted by tyne
Thanks for the reply wolf, really appreciate getting some info from someone who actually works for qas. Can i ask you how long you have been working for qas, and where abouts in queensland are you stationed?. Do you have any regrets about moving?

Hi,

Sorry I'd rather not if you don't mind, it's not that I've anything to hide it's just I believe talking the truth on QAS shortfalls in a public forum may be frowned upon.

Moving here, no regrets, lovely place to live, very sporting, good weather, lovely beaches and at the end of the day 'work' is a four letter word that pays the bills, no more, no less!
However, if I didn't have a mortgage I wouldn't be working for QAS, too many politics, policies, procedures, staff dissatisfied with the so-called union, regular/general talk of managerial bullying, people leaving, people going out rural, people going in to nursing, feels like the UK from many yrs ago, QAS staff need some good strong trade unionists to come out to teach the LHMU how to represent it's members properly - speaks for itself doesn't it.

The articles in the Courier Mail says it all.

Wolf.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolf
Hi,

Sorry I'd rather not if you don't mind, it's not that I've anything to hide it's just I believe talking the truth on QAS shortfalls in a public forum may be frowned upon.

Moving here, no regrets, lovely place to live, very sporting, good weather, lovely beaches and at the end of the day 'work' is a four letter word that pays the bills, no more, no less!
However, if I didn't have a mortgage I wouldn't be working for QAS, too many politics, policies, procedures, staff dissatisfied with the so-called union, regular/general talk of managerial bullying, people leaving, people going out rural, people going in to nursing, feels like the UK from many yrs ago, QAS staff need some good strong trade unionists to come out to teach the LHMU how to represent it's members properly - speaks for itself doesn't it.

Wolf.
This site is becoming quite well known in all divisions of Emergency Services, one way or another, and there's a lot a fair few Poms around HQ now, never mind the outlying stations.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wolf
Hi,

Wolf.
Thanks wolf, i understand what you are saying.

Great feedback on lifestyle. Most of us planning the move to Oz are happy to do a job that may not be better than what we are leaving behind, but its about more than just work. Lifestyle/weather etc are top of most peoples lists. Work is a necessity to pay the bills and allow you to enjoy your life is Oz. Whether work means more to you is up to you. Some love working as a paramedic, some work as a paramedic to live.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tyne
Thanks wolf, i understand what you are saying.

Great feedback on lifestyle. Most of us planning the move to Oz are happy to do a job that may not be better than what we are leaving behind, but its about more than just work. Lifestyle/weather etc are top of most peoples lists. Work is a necessity to pay the bills and allow you to enjoy your life is Oz. Whether work means more to you is up to you. Some love working as a paramedic, some work as a paramedic to live.
Tyne
I couldn't agree more. I think we are all going with open eyes and no illusions. Where ever you go it tends to be same s**t, different place. I am certainly not going with rose tinted glasses thinking work life will be utopia, I just want a job that will pay and allows me to live in Oz. Work to live, not live for work is definitely my motto. It would appear if you read some of the nurses threads they are having similar problems with management, unions etc. Maybe if there's enough of us out there we can show them a thing or too lol
Old May 15th 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sals
Tyne
I couldn't agree more. I think we are all going with open eyes and no illusions. Where ever you go it tends to be same s**t, different place. I am certainly not going with rose tinted glasses thinking work life will be utopia, I just want a job that will pay and allows me to live in Oz. Work to live, not live for work is definitely my motto. It would appear if you read some of the nurses threads they are having similar problems with management, unions etc. Maybe if there's enough of us out there we can show them a thing or too lol
According to reports, QAS want 250 UK paramedics each year for the next 5 years! Still slightly outnumbered by the locals, but it might make a difference.
We shall have to wait and see. It seems only a matter of time before things do start to improve over there, as far as being short of qualified paramedics is concerned.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

mille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nicemille777 is just really nice

Some more news:

Ambulance Outrage at Response Times Rort Allegation
15/05/2007 3:19:20 PM

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) Commissioner has expressed outrage at an allegation that paramedics are being told to ignore standard operating procedures to falsify ambulance response times (Sunday Mail, 13 May 2007).

QAS Commissioner Jim Higgins said the unsubstantiated allegations that staff are being forced to falsify records to enhance emergency response times are of great concern.

“Any attempt to falsify ambulance response times is absolutely unacceptable to the QAS,” Commissioner Higgins said.

“At no stage has any officer raised the issue in respect to on-scene activation.

“Today I have urged any officer aware of such instances to contact the Department’s independent Ethical Standards Unit, who will forward all legitimate cases to the Crime and Misconduct Commission.”

Commissioner Higgins said the on-scene activation when paramedics are in sight of an accident was in accordance with QAS Standard Operating Procedures, and consistent with international best practice used by ambulance services around the world.

Commissioner Higgins said the allegation is a cold slap in the face of paramedics who are consistently rated as the most trusted professionals in our community.

“It’s an insult to hard working paramedic professionals across Queensland who are doing an incredible job responding to unprecedented demand for ambulance services due to an aging and growing population,” he said.

“The fact is, in real terms of productivity and overall service to the Queensland community, paramedics are responding to more emergency Code 1 cases in under ten minutes (first unit on scene) than ever before.

In the first 10 months of this financial year the QAS has already surpassed the total number of Code 1 incidents recorded in 2005-06.

“Despite this paramedics have responded to 8,593 more Code 1 incidents first unit on scene within 10 minutes compared to the corresponding period last year.

“Any serious analysis of the facts clearly show that the people of Queensland receive a first class ambulance service as paramedics continue to respond to more emergency life threatening cases than ever before,” Commissioner Higgins said.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like no one can answer my previous questions....

Can anyone tell me what the pay looks like after deductions? i have seen some people put figures of a gross salary at between 40,000 - 49,000
any deductions to consider other than tax ?
Old May 15th 2007, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zuluman7

Can anyone tell me what the pay looks like after deductions? i have seen some people put figures of a gross salary at between 40,000 - 49,000
Hi,

Hope this helps.
Your GROSS annual salary as an Advanced Care Paramedic will be $46,000 plus penalty rates and OT putting you around $60,000 give or take.
There is always plenty of overtime should you so wish.
As an ACP you'll NET approx $1700 -$1800 a fortnight.

Wolf
Old May 15th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zuluman7

Very roughly at $2.50 to the £ the sort of money you were earning pre-Agenda for Change or another way is to take you current earnings minus 1/3 then convert that at $2.50 to the £.

Keebs.
Old May 17th 2007, 5:34 pm
skye

Hi Keebs!

Still waiting for the offer letter - can you have a word please!!!

Old May 17th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by skye
Hi Keebs!

Still waiting for the offer letter - can you have a word please!!!
For me to. I exchange contracts on my house in 3 weeks and have to be out in 4 weeks. Love my parents but don't think I can live with them indefinitely! lol
Old May 17th 2007, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

TinkerTaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I thought I would give a little information on some of the issues people have raised, from the perspective of someone working for the QAS already.

Originally Posted by Tetley999
Then its 3 days off before another 50hr shift!!
Hi mate, if your contracted hours are 37.5, I presume some the shifts that you are posted are overtime?
If so overtime is on a voluntary basis?
In regards to tetley999's question this is your rosterd shifts, QAS now work a 10 hour roster system that can see you working up to 5 days straight. Not including shift extension overtime or picking up overtime on your days off.
This extra time worked during the week is offset by 9 weeks holiday a year (as of september this year I believe) rather than 4 in most professions. Which is a pretty nice deal if you ask me!

A few other people have asked questions about the general feeling of QAS staff towards UK paramedics. In my experience everyone is really positive towards UK paramedics, and the ones that I have been able to meet have been great!

Most paramedics you will work with are great, caring & professional people, but like health services everywhere you are still dealing with the same kind of work, that after a while can grind you down!

On another note its cloudy and a chilly 20c here today

Hope to see some of you soon!

Last edited by TinkerTaylor; May 17th 2007 at 11:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.