Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Originally Posted by katie999
hi john

glad you are living the dream! we had a few teething problems to start with, but it all just falls into place! word of advice though - stay away from telstra if you can and shop around for phone, mobile and internet!

im actually enjoying working for the QAS - and theres soooo much less moaning going on! its actually a pleasure to sit in station! lol.

be prepared for the induction though guys........ its a looooonnnngggg 3 weeks, but if you get a good bunch of people on your course like i did, it makes things that bit easier! no need to study before you come over, just buy those glasses with the eyes drawn on, as its death-by-powerpoint!! :curse:

planning to take a trip upto townsville soon john, so hopefully catch up with you, niki and the mad german dude! ive pm'd you my mobile number.

this site is a nightmare for negative posts, so believe me and john and the others when we say you are making the right move!
Good to hear you have settled down How is Bruce
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

katie999 is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya fakinsupa

not long to go now! the nerves must be setting in.....

no bruce, shane or even a sheila yet! lol. x
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

hi john

glad you are living the dream! we had a few teething problems to start with, but it all just falls into place! word of advice though - stay away from telstra if you can and shop around for phone, mobile and internet!

im actually enjoying working for the QAS - and theres soooo much less moaning going on! its actually a pleasure to sit in station! lol.

be prepared for the induction though guys........ its a looooonnnngggg 3 weeks, but if you get a good bunch of people on your course like i did, it makes things that bit easier! no need to study before you come over, just buy those glasses with the eyes drawn on, as its death-by-powerpoint!! :curse:

planning to take a trip upto townsville soon john, so hopefully catch up with you, niki and the mad german dude! ive pm'd you my mobile number.

this site is a nightmare for negative posts, so believe me and john and the others when we say you are making the right move!
Please don't mistake a level of realism for negativity - many people face a reality check when they get here about money, jobs, schools etc. Many people have different circumstances, values and expectations - so for some it's the dream (good on ya), for others it's a nightmare and for some its just a little disappointing. I think we fall into the latter but can see the possible potential so are sticking at it and committing ourselves - having been here for 18 months and living real life - working, cooking, cleaning - kids taxi service etc... then time to spend on the beach etc... is pretty limited and long term I am concerned about opportunities for our kids - why else do most Ozzie teenagers travel and spend a few years in UK? However - willing to see how it pans out.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

katie999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fific
Please don't mistake a level of realism for negativity - many people face a reality check when they get here about money, jobs, schools etc. Many people have different circumstances, values and expectations - so for some it's the dream (good on ya), for others it's a nightmare and for some its just a little disappointing. I think we fall into the latter but can see the possible potential so are sticking at it and committing ourselves - having been here for 18 months and living real life - working, cooking, cleaning - kids taxi service etc... then time to spend on the beach etc... is pretty limited and long term I am concerned about opportunities for our kids - why else do most Ozzie teenagers travel and spend a few years in UK? However - willing to see how it pans out.
i didnt come over here with rose tinted glasses on, and yeah normality kicks in quickly - work, paying bills, kids in school etc, but the weather alone makes it worth it. i honestly feel im not any worse off financially coming out here. its not the case for everyone im sure though.

as for having high expectations, im just taking each day as it comes, and i manage to fit in atleast one fun activity a week, even if its driving up into the mountains, heading to do some body boarding or having a game of tennis. yeah, i miss family and friends, but i knew what i was giving up to come out here and ive accepted it. i threw myself into meeting people and ive made some good friends already, so ive been really lucky.

just remember though, for everyone applying to come out here, its your choice. you arent forced to come and work for the QAS so they dont really owe you. they have been great trying their best to accomodate everyone with the places they want, they pay your visa and give you relocation money. thats more than the services in the uk do. the wages arent much different, the overtime is better and the quality of work is generally better. and as i said before, you arent coming for the job.

give it a go, make the best of your opportunity and if it doesnt work out then atleast you will have given it a go.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All!

I sent off my application to QAS a couple of days ago to have my qualifications reviewed. I am currently an American EMT-Intermediate with 7 years of experience. I know this forum is mostly for people coming from the UK, but have any Americans been able to make the jump to QAS successfully? Also, how long does the skills evaluation take? Below is the differences between P3 and EMT-I. Does anyone know if the few differences are to big to overcome? Will they just train me in the areas I lack or will I have to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

EJ vein cannulation - Allowable for EMTI
IO Access - Allowable for EMTI
MAST pants - Allowable for EMTI
Activated Charcoal - Allowable for EMTI
Box Jellyfish Anti-venene - NOT Allowable for EMTI
Ceftriaxone Sodium - NOT Allowable for EMTI
D50 - Allowable for EMTI
Fentanyl - Allowable for EMTI
Paracetamol - NOT allowable for EMTI
Promethazine - Allowable for EMTI
Midazolam - NOT allowable for EMTI
Metoclopramide - NOT allowable for EMTI
Methoxyflurane - NOT allowable for EMTI
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fific
If you research your move thoroughly you will have a good uderstanding of what the requirments are of making a new start in any foriegn country. And anyone who emigrates thinking that they dont need to work, clean, kids, shop, mortgage etc is on a loser for a start. But like anywhere else you have days off and how you spend them is what makes the difference. Sitting at home thinking about family and friends and what you haven't got and the UK won't help, emmigrating requires will power and mental strength to make it work.

I wake up smiling, drive to work through rain forests, come home and go to bed smiling. As for oz kids, most take the opportunity to travel due to being isolated from everywhere else, unless mummy and daddy have lots of money. In europe we are lucky, tank full of petrol and you can trvel across two countries, but do I miss the congestion and stress, light polution? no, do I miss a good english chipy? well yes

To make it work requires work, its not offered on a plate, all the things you had to do in your previous life in the UK to survive are still required here, its just sunnier But then again your research will have shown this.

Ok, now need to shower and get ready for work

John

Last edited by John_R; Jan 12th 2009 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Lingyai is an unknown quantity at this point

Just writing this so I can get my PM, strange rule about must post three msg's before you can get PM's

Thanks Katie for your reply I think pretty much the same as you, its the life style not the job I'm moving for, if I don't like cairns I'll move, only after plenty of scuba and getting my skydiving licence.

Reference Townsville is it really good, the impression I get is not a good one, to indusdrial and "brown"
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Townsville is the tropical capital of QLD, there are no major "industries" in it but it is the major transport and delivery for the mines out west. Out west I mean 800km or more. It has an established port purposely for this but if you google it, you can get lots of info.

It's the wet season at the mo, so its very green but during the dry season is does brown off. And being in the tropics its also prone to cyclones, we just had on come in from the Gulf of Capentaria, only a CAT 1 and soon died off once inland, but lots of warm water lol.

The town has lots to offer, its not congested like a city but its also not hicksville, it has everything a family needs to grow.

If you have anything specific to ask, I will try and answer it for you

John
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Originally Posted by John_R
If you research your move thoroughly you will have a good uderstanding of what the requirments are of making a new start in any foriegn country. And anyone who emigrates thinking that they dont need to work, clean, kids, shop, mortgage etc is on a loser for a start. But like anywhere else you have days off and how you spend them is what makes the difference. Sitting at home thinking about family and friends and what you haven't got and the UK won't help, emmigrating requires will power and mental strength to make it work.

I wake up smiling, drive to work through rain forests, come home and go to bed smiling. As for oz kids, most take the opportunity to travel due to being isolated from everywhere else, unless mummy and daddy have lots of money. In europe we are lucky, tank full of petrol and you can trvel across two countries, but do I miss the congestion and stress, light polution? no, do I miss a good english chipy? well yes

To make it work requires work, its not offered on a plate, all the things you had to do in your previous life in the UK to survive are still required here, its just sunnier But then again your research will have shown this.

Ok, now need to shower and get ready for work

John
Please dont assume from one post that you understand my situation, my level of research or commitment to making it work - judging people you dont know isn't helpful.

My point is - this is a significant decision - one that can be fantastic - or create turmoil - balancing the enjoyment of the weather etc... with your other aspirations in life - job satisfaction, good education, careers for your children, financial security etc... there's more to life for me than just the great outdoors ( and yes I do enjoy my days off, have made great friends, have a good job, go to uni and so on and so on) but my concerns are still valid and relevant.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lingyai
Just writing this so I can get my PM, strange rule about must post three msg's before you can get PM's

Thanks Katie for your reply I think pretty much the same as you, its the life style not the job I'm moving for, if I don't like cairns I'll move, only after plenty of scuba and getting my skydiving licence.

Reference Townsville is it really good, the impression I get is not a good one, to indusdrial and "brown"
The reason for the rule is because a lot of people in the past have registered purely so that they can send spam and adverts to other members, by pm. The 3 post rule goes part of the way to preventing this
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Lingyai is an unknown quantity at this point

So can I spam lots of members now ?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lingyai
So can I spam lots of members now ?
The usual reult of spamming lots of members is that you get reported and banned.........
The three post rule has weeded out a lot of companies that send spam for dodgy goods, pyramid selling etc. We still spend a reasonable time having to remove their posts, but this does go part of the way to stopping the problem.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Hi
Not sure how the QAS would organise any differences in the skills that you would need for ACP status on road - it may depend on which region you work in. The skills you mentioned;
EJ vein cannulation - Allowable for EMTI ACP skill
IO Access - Allowable for EMTI ICP skill only
MAST pants - Allowable for EMTI ICP skill
Activated Charcoal - Allowable for EMTI ICP drug
Box Jellyfish Anti-venene - NOT Allowable for EMTI only used in far NorthQLD
Ceftriaxone Sodium - NOT Allowable for EMTI ACP drug
D50 - Allowable for EMTI We use Glucose 10% for Hypos
Fentanyl - Allowable for EMTI Not used currently by QAS
Paracetamol - NOT allowable for EMTI ACP drug
Promethazine - Allowable for EMTI ICP drug
Midazolam - NOT allowable for EMTI ACP drug
Metoclopramide - NOT allowable for EMTI ACP drug
Methoxyflurane - NOT allowable for EMTI ACP drug

ACP Advanced Care Paramedic
ICP Intensive Care Paramedic

You would probably find it difficult to get any definitive answer from QAS until you were further through the application process but you could try to email one of the training department staff or find someone who has been in a similar situation. I will ask around - I think one of the UK paramedics has had some courses to attend in order to upgrade her skills so if I see her I will ask her. We also have a Canadian recruit so I will have a chat if I can.

Originally Posted by displacedsurfer21
Hello All!

I sent off my application to QAS a couple of days ago to have my qualifications reviewed. I am currently an American EMT-Intermediate with 7 years of experience. I know this forum is mostly for people coming from the UK, but have any Americans been able to make the jump to QAS successfully? Also, how long does the skills evaluation take? Below is the differences between P3 and EMT-I. Does anyone know if the few differences are to big to overcome? Will they just train me in the areas I lack or will I have to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

EJ vein cannulation - Allowable for EMTI
IO Access - Allowable for EMTI
MAST pants - Allowable for EMTI
Activated Charcoal - Allowable for EMTI
Box Jellyfish Anti-venene - NOT Allowable for EMTI
Ceftriaxone Sodium - NOT Allowable for EMTI
D50 - Allowable for EMTI
Fentanyl - Allowable for EMTI
Paracetamol - NOT allowable for EMTI
Promethazine - Allowable for EMTI
Midazolam - NOT allowable for EMTI
Metoclopramide - NOT allowable for EMTI
Methoxyflurane - NOT allowable for EMTI
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks S J Jackson for the info. I attempted to contact QAS a few times regarding the differences, and no definitive answer. So the difference appears to be only 5 drugs or so that I would need to learn, and about 5 drugs and skills I would need to forget It wouldn't be very hard to just learn the different drugs in some kind of transition course, but I don't know if they are willing to do something like that.. Any inside info would be greatly appreciated, I wouldn't want to lose a chance at this opportunity over a few differences..

Stay safe out there brother,
Scott
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

alexis999 is an unknown quantity at this point

i didnt come over here with rose tinted glasses on, and yeah normality kicks in quickly - work, paying bills, kids in school etc, but the weather alone makes it worth it. i honestly feel im not any worse off financially coming out here. its not the case for everyone im sure though.

as for having high expectations, im just taking each day as it comes, and i manage to fit in atleast one fun activity a week, even if its driving up into the mountains, heading to do some body boarding or having a game of tennis. yeah, i miss family and friends, but i knew what i was giving up to come out here and ive accepted it. i threw myself into meeting people and ive made some good friends already, so ive been really lucky.

just remember though, for everyone applying to come out here, its your choice. you arent forced to come and work for the QAS so they dont really owe you. they have been great trying their best to accomodate everyone with the places they want, they pay your visa and give you relocation money. thats more than the services in the uk do. the wages arent much different, the overtime is better and the quality of work is generally better. and as i said before, you arent coming for the job.

give it a go, make the best of your opportunity and if it doesnt work out then atleast you will have given it a go.
hiya Katie,
just wondering if you remember the name of the hotel in brisbane that you staying in during the 3 weeks training and do they always use the same one? i got 2 young kids and the thought of one room for 3 weeks would be hell so i wanted to see if i could book another room. thanks alex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.