Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queenland Driving Licence

Queenland Driving Licence

Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice
Default Queensland Driving Licence

Hi,

I am convinced i asked this already but can seem to find my thread. I might have just been dreaming it.

I have a full, clean, UK driving License that was obtained in 2008. I am current 20 years old.

My understanding is this:
  1. I can send off my UK driving license to the authorities in QLD and they will send back my UK driving license and a QLD license as well. I will then have 2 Licenses. I dont have to surrender my UK one.
  2. You dont have to take an extra test.
  3. I wont have restrictions like using P plates?
  4. I can do this on a WHV or a Student Visa. (If i decide to go on for a PR visa i might aswel get one now before the goal posts change.)

Please can someone confirm this please?

Thanks

Last edited by JetBlast; Jan 5th 2011 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Queenland Driving Licence

Yes, but you need to be here in person to get it, and you have to have "supporting evidence of identity including Queensland residency documents"

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JetBlast
Hi,

I am convinced i asked this already but can seem to find my thread. I might have just been dreaming it.

I have a full, clean, UK driving License that was obtained in 2008. I am current 20 years old.

1. I can send off my UK driving license to the authorities in QLD and they will send back my UK driving license and a QLD license as well. I will then have 2 Licenses. I dont have to surrender my UK one.
  4. I can do this on a WHV or a Student Visa. (If i decide to go on for a PR visa i might aswel get one now before the goal posts change.)

Thanks
do u not need to do the theory test any more?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, but you need to be here in person to get it, and you have to have "supporting evidence of identity including Queensland residency documents"
What kind of residency documents will they need. I will be in Oz at the time.

do u not need to do the theory test any more
I dont think you do anymore.
EDIT: Just found this and it doesnt look like it .- http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...ibed_countries

Thanks

Last edited by JetBlast; Jan 5th 2011 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future
Default Re: Queensland Driving Licence

Hi,

Thanks
Print off the form 300 on the website, fill it in but don't sign it yet.

This is the link http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...l-drivers.aspx to start the process.

Take it along to a licensing centre, along with the necessary forms of ID one of which has to have an address on (utility bill, car registration, bank statement, rent agreement etc) and your current driving licence. Pay your money for the number of years you want the licence for - up to 5 years.

If you have a full UK licence (Open Licence) you should get the same here too.

They take your photo, make up the licence then and there and hand it back to you. Takes about 5-10 mins on a good day.

Last edited by Persia; Jan 5th 2011 at 1:02 pm. Reason: added links
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, just what bothers me is that do i have to surrender my UK one for can it keep that?

Do i have any restrictions that young drivers have?

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

No you keep that and they don't mark it in any way.

If you don't have any restrictions in the UK you won't have them here either.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all
Default Re: Queensland Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Persia
Print off the form 300 on the website, fill it in but don't sign it yet.

This is the link http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...l-drivers.aspx to start the process.

Take it along to a licensing centre, along with the necessary forms of ID one of which has to have an address on (utility bill, car registration, bank statement, rent agreement etc) and your current driving licence. Pay your money for the number of years you want the licence for - up to 5 years.

If you have a full UK licence (Open Licence) you should get the same here too.

They take your photo, make up the licence then and there and hand it back to you. Takes about 5-10 mins on a good day.
Don`t go to Blackwater as I did-you`ll leave very disappointed as I did at the rubenesque lady,I had to go to Rockhampton because of the lack of her Intelligence where they duly gave me a licence-no problem
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, just what bothers me is that do i have to surrender my UK one for can it keep that?

Do i have any restrictions that young drivers have?

Thanks
They used to (occasionally) take your UK one off you but they've never actually had the 'right' to do so and as far as I'm aware don't do it. Strictly speaking, because you are no longer residental in the UK your UK driving licence is invalid but if they don't know then it doesn't matter If you're on a Temp visa, you don't actually have to change to an Aus driving licence, you can continue driving on your UK one for the term of your visa.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:38 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
Surely you'd be better off getting a sailing licence