Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:10 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

So sorry to hear this news, thinking of you. C x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have dogs so don't know personally but I've read on here that many many dogs don't have their bark for a few days/weeks after coming out of quarantine. No idea why unless they are telling you they were pissed off to be there. My cats used to ignore us when they came out of kennels after holidays.

Sorry to hear about your Sydney, Allie. It sounds like other people's labs have sudden heart problems so I hope it was that and not something that could have been prevented. It's not much help but at least you would know it was unavoidable. Having read your other thread about Animal Welfare in FNQ, you obviously know about unwanted pets so I'm sure in time you'll give another dog your love and attention, however hard it seems at the moment.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:17 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

So sorry for your news, can't say anything to make it better

The behaviour by the quarantine station is appalling. I have to say I wasn't impressed when our two cats were there. It was adequate but the facility could do with some modernisation. Our cats got badly sunburnt as additional shade was not provided. The handlers didn't seem to be actually observing quarantine, ie they would handle some animals, letting them lick them etc then just go straight into the next pen and handle the animals in there with no thought to cross-contamination.

I hope you get some answers from them, but also a full apology for their hideous uncaring approach.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
to look after animals, surely you have to be an animal lover, right ?

D.
No, it's quarantine - not a pampered pets hotel. A business, not a vocation.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

I beg your pardon ????

We all paid a fortune to bring our beloved animals over here, and the very fact of what the animals have/are going through terrible stress means more attention should be given to special requests and needs than at a "normal" kennels.

And while I'm at it, why have we not had a single telephone call from them, no news on Syd's further pm, collar and tag, every time we ring we have to start by saying "we are Syd's owners, the dog that died" and speak to a different person every single time. Any "business" would dedicate a manager to deal specifically with a couple such as ourselves and keep us informed.

I am well aware, as in the whole of Oz now, that the outbreak of Equine Influenza ( we routinely vaccinate for it in the UK, but it has caused untold suffering to thousands of horses over here) that has devasted NSW and Queensland came out of Eastern Creek - they believe it was because of direct cross contamination from horses brought in from abroad. They suspect no protective clothing was worn, people would come in and out and just transfer the disease. So much for being in the business of protecting Australian animals - it has caused a huge disaster to all horse owners in Australia.

Sorry but our animals deserve better and I had to have a rant.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alliekate
I beg your pardon ????

We all paid a fortune to bring our beloved animals over here, and the very fact of what the animals have/are going through terrible stress means more attention should be given to special requests and needs than at a "normal" kennels.

And while I'm at it, why have we not had a single telephone call from them, no news on Syd's further pm, collar and tag, every time we ring we have to start by saying "we are Syd's owners, the dog that died" and speak to a different person every single time. Any "business" would dedicate a manager to deal specifically with a couple such as ourselves and keep us informed.

I am well aware, as in the whole of Oz now, that the outbreak of Equine Influenza ( we routinely vaccinate for it in the UK, but it has caused untold suffering to thousands of horses over here) that has devasted NSW and Queensland came out of Eastern Creek - they believe it was because of direct cross contamination from horses brought in from abroad. They suspect no protective clothing was worn, people would come in and out and just transfer the disease. So much for being in the business of protecting Australian animals - it has caused a huge disaster to all horse owners in Australia.

Sorry but our animals deserve better and I had to have a rant.
Totally agree with you, we too paid a fortune to bring our dog and cat with us. We left contact numbers with Eastern Creek and updated them as soon as we got new mobiles in Oz. On the day our dog and cat were due to fly from Sydney to Brisbane I rang the kennel maid I had been given the number for who was looking after our dog to make sure that both the dog and cat were on their way. The kennel maid told me that the dog had bad diarrhia and she had been feeding him something else to try to clear it. She said she was glad I had rang as had no idea how she was going to get the message to me! I also asked whilst on the phone on a previous occasion what our dog and cat had been fed on whilst there as I didn't want to change their diet immediately - the kennel maid told me that there was no way that she would feed her animals on what they were fed there. Our dog lost a substantial amount of weight - his collar was hanging off him. From reading other posts we expected him to be overweight from lack of exercise.

It was the hardest decision we made to put our animals through the flight and quarantine, they are part of our families and looking after them in the quarantine stations should not be taken lightly.

Nat X
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:16 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about your dog, hope you get some answers, wont help your broken heart but at least you will cope better knowing what happened.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

Thankyou again.........

FRIDAY HERE SHE COMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

So very sorry to hear about Syd, very hard not having answers as to what happened.

My thoughts are with you x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
No, it's quarantine - not a pampered pets hotel. A business, not a vocation.
I agree that whilst it is not a pampered pets hotel and is quarantine, I do have to say that working with animals is a vocation.

From experience, noone ever looked after animals for the money because kennel maids are very poorly paid.

I think if the job means that little to someone then they shouldnt do it - especially in any caring profession that involves looking after people or animals.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:29 am
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Sorry if there are spelling errors in this but I am typing through tears - my dog too was in Eastern Quarrantine station and I understand completely what you are going through. Whilst in quarrantine my dog got passed from handler to handler every time I rang someone different was looking after her - there was also an out break of Kennel Cough close to her release date and she was put into solitary - thank fully I didnt have the food problems as I sent food to the quarrantine station and when I rang I interrogated the staff to ensure they were knew what they were feeding her.

I understand its a business but businesses tend to work on word of mouth - and following my experience although thankfully my Abi came out safe and well I would not recommend them due to the terrible communication problems we had we werent informed about the Kennel Cough or the quarrantine situation from the Kennels, I had arranged for Abi to get walks from a local couple whom they allowed in and they advised us they were unable to walk her due to the outbreak!

I think quarrantine staff need to understand we don't spend such a large amount of money bringing an animal over these boys and girls are our lives otherwise we would leave them with family back in England my border collie is my little girl and she is loving it here now but when I think what I put her through I just hope it was worth it for her.

Our thoughts are with you at this time - hope you get the answers you deserve - waiting is very hard indeed.

Attached is a photo of Abi coming out of the cage - she had to fly from NSW to SA as SA have no quarrantine station! This is us collecting her after her prison break - hope your reunion is as joyful.

Love and thoughts

Jodie
Attached Thumbnails QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED-imgp0210.jpg  
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:40 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say how sorry we are to hear about Sydney. I sincerely hope that you find the answers you are looking for.
J x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know anything about the quarantine station in Perth?

I am keen to know which foods they offer the cats because my cat eats wet food.

Someone said they feed them Iams which I would not want my cat fed that, he cant tolerate it anyway.

Im wondering if I can request a certain diet for him.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:03 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Does anyone know anything about the quarantine station in Perth?

I am keen to know which foods they offer the cats because my cat eats wet food.

Someone said they feed them Iams which I would not want my cat fed that, he cant tolerate it anyway.

Im wondering if I can request a certain diet for him.
i think we could PP, at eastern creek. wish we had of done now, as she was ill whilst there and they wanted to call out a vet. we put it down to stress, becasue she had been in kennels in the UK previously fro two weeks, then two weeks at my parents then shipped to the other side of the world and put in a place for a month. reading things on here though makes me wonder if it was the food they had given her. she is a boxer, a breed well known for delicate stomachs. i am sure we could have done, but my argument was, how do you know they will give it her?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.