Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quarantine Nightmare!

Quarantine Nightmare!

Old Jul 29th 2006, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

TheGreenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quarantine Nightmare!

:scared: I am typing this on behalf of a friend we have staying with us at the moment. Her dog scruffy, a shi-tzu was meant to fly the same day as them, being 27th of March, due to failing his lepto because the stupid vet put it in a booster (knowing full well the dog was due to fly to oz)! He had to stay with his Granny in the uk, after 4 more tests and we are now at June 9th (are you keeping up with this!). He eventually flew to New zealand as the family went on holiday and were told by MAF NZ and aqis Oz that no quarantine was needed between the two countries. On arriving in Nz all was well until 2 weeks later when they left for Oz the dog could not fly because he needed quarantine for 90 days in NZ or 30 days in Oz thats when they found out they had been misinformed by both countries so they decided 30 days in Oz would be best. To their horror MAF had lost half of the paperwork and vet test results. So poor scruff had to stay another 3 weeks with her neice. Maf were very good after many phone calls both sides Scruff flew to Oz (sydney). He is due out on 12th August. But (you knew that was coming did'nt you?!) Aqis phoned her because all the paperwork which they had struggled to get in NZ had been lost again by MAF!
After many phone calls and stress, panic e.t.c back to the uk her mum has managed to fax through all the relavent paperwork as she took photocopies! (Clever mummy!) to quarantine in sydney. Thinking all is well we have a phone call from quarantine today stating they are going to retest his lepto because his levels were down then went up but were still under the acceptable levels and he had an anti biotic whilst in the uk quarantine feel they need to be sure no virus is there thus meaning Scruff could be there for god knows how long if his levels are up. So her advice to you all who are bringing dogs is to Remind your vet not to put lepto into vaccines even though they know your leaving, be absolutley sure you take copies of every bit of paperwork (more than 1) with you if your leaving before your dog or not. She would like to Thank Sally at Par air for all her help and hard work and running around chasing lost paperwork and for Scruffys safe arrival in NZ. Here's hoping we see him on the 12th when passing the unnecessary tests he has tomorrow. Good job we have a money tree although the drout is setting in!!! We would like to here from anyone with simular stories as she feels someone has it in for her now, 1 step forward and 20 back!
:scared:
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:01 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quarantine Nightmare!

What a nightmare!

I'm slightly confused and it might just be me, but why didn't they fly him straight to Australia? What am I missing?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

because by the time he had been cleared to fly from the uk, due to a visa problem over here the family had relocated to new zealand, but the problem has since been resolved so they are now back here in Mackay.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheGreenz
because by the time he had been cleared to fly from the uk, due to a visa problem over here the family had relocated to new zealand, but the problem has since been resolved so they are now back here in Mackay.

Oh dear me. I'm sorry for their trouble.

By the way, I think you might need to update your location, unless you're still in MK.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

This OP came up the other day but with a different title.

Deja vu
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

yes we posted it as a reply to a thread but did'nt get much feedback so we thought we'd start a thread instead.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

As for the "lepto" , what if it were not given at all ?
Is there such a huge danger involved ?