Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quarantine charge on one box?

Quarantine charge on one box?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:19 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice
Default Quarantine charge on one box?

I think this has been asked before in some form or other, but all I can find in the searches are recommendations...

I move to WA in 4 days. I shipped a few boxes ages ago, which arrive a couple of day after me. Grand.

However, since packing I have another box worth I'd like to ship or courier. I'll be living rural for the first year so am keen to have as much stuff as I can.

I have found some services I'd be happy to use but my worry is the AQIS charge - would I have to pay this again on just the one box? Or is there a way around it? It appears to be a minimum of $150 or am I mistaken?

What if I got friend to gradually post me the stuff... would that incur many smaller AQIS charges?

Arg. No idea what to do.
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quarantine charge on one box?

personalporter send cases unaccompanied! and about 150 per case as i remember.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roamer25
I think this has been asked before in some form or other, but all I can find in the searches are recommendations...

I move to WA in 4 days. I shipped a few boxes ages ago, which arrive a couple of day after me. Grand.

However, since packing I have another box worth I'd like to ship or courier. I'll be living rural for the first year so am keen to have as much stuff as I can.

I have found some services I'd be happy to use but my worry is the AQIS charge - would I have to pay this again on just the one box? Or is there a way around it? It appears to be a minimum of $150 or am I mistaken?

What if I got friend to gradually post me the stuff... would that incur many smaller AQIS charges?

Arg. No idea what to do.
Thanks in advance
If it all gets posted in individual parcels that can go through the normal postal system as gifts, then there's no AQIS charge. Thats charged for inspection of shipped personal possessions. Depends how much stuff is in the box I guess?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:23 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If it all gets posted in individual parcels that can go through the normal postal system as gifts, then there's no AQIS charge. Thats charged for inspection of shipped personal possessions. Depends how much stuff is in the box I guess?
Thanks Pollyanna, that's answered what I was wondering about.

I think I might do it that way, as it's really just the size of a carry on suitcase. Shouldn't be too hard to wrap them up into a few small packets, you know, a few books, couple of DVDs and some clothes that I won't need until winter time.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by roamer25
Thanks Pollyanna, that's answered what I was wondering about.

I think I might do it that way, as it's really just the size of a carry on suitcase. Shouldn't be too hard to wrap them up into a few small packets, you know, a few books, couple of DVDs and some clothes that I won't need until winter time.
Books and DVD's are not worth the postage but remember you can import goods up to about $1000 which is much better than the UK's £28 if I remember correctly.

Stick the DVD's without the packaging in your luggage they weigh hardly anything.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:00 pm
Heading to WA

Originally Posted by cj321
Books and DVD's are not worth the postage but remember you can import goods up to about $1000 which is much better than the UK's £28 if I remember correctly.

Stick the DVD's without the packaging in your luggage they weigh hardly anything.
True, true.

Thanks all.