Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quantity Surveyor / Contracts Administrator job availability in Oz?

Quantity Surveyor / Contracts Administrator job availability in Oz?

Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Yourfriendkyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quantity Surveyor / Contracts Administrator job availability in Oz?

Hi,

I'm a QS currently living in the UK, but I have a permanent residency visa and will be in Oz April 2013 (Sydney specifically).
I have 7 years experience as a QS; 5 years experience in Infrastructure work (recent) and 2 in Refurbishment.

I am going to start enquiring with a few agencies soon and I was wondering what the current climate is like for looking for work?

Will I be ok with my current experience and the fact I already have a visa? I also have some excellent references which I'm hoping will help.

Also are there any tips people can share or stories on how things have worked out for them and what they did initially?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quantity Surveyor / Contracts Administrator job availability in Oz?

I do understand that you are keen to be doing something, I was just the same, but I think you could be contacting agencies too soon. You might find it disheartening if they all come back and say contact us again nearer the time. Most agencies, recruiters are not interested until you are on the ground or are about to be on the ground.

When the time is right, yes having a visa already will be a big plus and I have no idea about your occupation but 7 years of experience is usually interesting.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I do understand that you are keen to be doing something, I was just the same, but I think you could be contacting agencies too soon. You might find it disheartening if they all come back and say contact us again nearer the time. Most agencies, recruiters are not interested until you are on the ground or are about to be on the ground.

When the time is right, yes having a visa already will be a big plus and I have no idea about your occupation but 7 years of experience is usually interesting.
Thanks Bermudashorts, I was a little conscious that its 4 month really before I get there. I'd assume a better time to contact them is 4-6 week before which is general notice period for people leaving anyway.

Do you have any info on what the current climate is like in infrastructure? And any other tips worth sharing while I'm asking :-)

Thanks,

Kyle
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't know anything in that employment field. But there are a few on here that will, responses can be few and slow at the weekend though.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a QS working FIFO from Perth in the infrastructure sector, I've been here since March. I got recruited from the UK and came over on a 457 sponsored visa. Are you a Contractor QS or Consultant QS? If you're prepared to work FIFO I'd say you would get a job no problem but the FIFO lifestyle isn't for everyone. I'd be very surprised if you didn't manage to find a position.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I'm a QS working FIFO from Perth in the infrastructure sector, I've been here since March. I got recruited from the UK and came over on a 457 sponsored visa. Are you a Contractor QS or Consultant QS? If you're prepared to work FIFO I'd say you would get a job no problem but the FIFO lifestyle isn't for everyone. I'd be very surprised if you didn't manage to find a position.
Contractors QS; I'd prefer not to do FIFO but I'd obviously see what options came up. All the feedback does seam pretty positive, especially in comparison to the job market in the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:41 pm
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

I'm a QS (AAIQS) ...

You will never be out of work in Australia in this sector. Whether it be in a PQS or CA role, you hold the aces still.

Despite what's been said previously if you have decent relevant experience there will be plentiful job opportunities & offers prior to landing.

If you are RICS, add a few thousand bucks to your expectations & an enhanced career path ...

Good luck with it all.

TSOO

Originally Posted by Yourfriendkyle
Hi,

I'm a QS currently living in the UK, but I have a permanent residency visa and will be in Oz April 2013 (Sydney specifically).
I have 7 years experience as a QS; 5 years experience in Infrastructure work (recent) and 2 in Refurbishment.

I am going to start enquiring with a few agencies soon and I was wondering what the current climate is like for looking for work?

Will I be ok with my current experience and the fact I already have a visa? I also have some excellent references which I'm hoping will help.

Also are there any tips people can share or stories on how things have worked out for them and what they did initially?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan
I'm a QS (AAIQS) ...

You will never be out of work in Australia in this sector. Whether it be in a PQS or CA role, you hold the aces still.

Despite what's been said previously if you have decent relevant experience there will be plentiful job opportunities & offers prior to landing.

If you are RICS, add a few thousand bucks to your expectations & an enhanced career path ...

Good luck with it all.

TSOO

Thanks The Squire of Onchan, some definitely helpful feedback.

That's good to know; I do believe I may slightly be a little ahead of myself with still over 4 months to go but I do hope at very least I can get interviews lined up for when I get there.

I have 7 years experience and am currently undergoing my RICS Assoc assessment so hopefully that should be enough to open something up for me.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

I am a QS and was sponsored in 2010. I have 12 years experience and am MRICS and MCInstCES.

Work in WA has slowed over the past few months due to the contraction of the mining sector however, there are still opportunities if you are prepared to research yourself and not be reliant on recruitment agencies.

Remember, agencies in general will apportion their time to candidates which are low-risk and are already on the ground. Having PR is a distinct advantage as this means that an employer only has to pay a few thousand dollars to get you over here.

The majority of the roles in WA are FIFO due to the geographical work locations being in remote areas [eg Pilbara etc].

I am unsure about the work on the East Coast however, I do know of some colleagues who have been transferred over to WA due to projects coming to completion.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colonel
I am a QS and was sponsored in 2010. I have 12 years experience and am MRICS and MCInstCES.

Work in WA has slowed over the past few months due to the contraction of the mining sector however, there are still opportunities if you are prepared to research yourself and not be reliant on recruitment agencies.

Remember, agencies in general will apportion their time to candidates which are low-risk and are already on the ground. Having PR is a distinct advantage as this means that an employer only has to pay a few thousand dollars to get you over here.

The majority of the roles in WA are FIFO due to the geographical work locations being in remote areas [eg Pilbara etc].

I am unsure about the work on the East Coast however, I do know of some colleagues who have been transferred over to WA due to projects coming to completion.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is great advice.

My experience is with minor civils & highway infrastructure, do you know who the main contractors are in the Sydney area for this?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:05 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yourfriendkyle
Thanks, this is great advice.

My experience is with minor civils & highway infrastructure, do you know who the main contractors are in the Sydney area for this?
Leightons, Abigroup, Thiess, Macmahon