British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quantity Surveying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quantity-surveying-851095/)

Babsw Jan 20th 2015 8:32 am

Quantity Surveying

I wondered if any one could help my husband,please. he is a Quantity Surveyor (UK degree) but has been working here in Aus (Brisbane) mostly in Project Management/Contracts/Government related fields but would like to get back into QS. He has been looking for refresher courses in usual places, TAFE, Uni , Online,OU etc but no joy other than retaking his full degree. Any one got any other ideas, he would be willing to work voluntarily in a firm to get experience of Aus systems. Just wondered if any one might know more to help him. Many thanks.:nod:

LeeWillo Jan 20th 2015 8:06 pm

Re: Quantity Surveying

I'm a contractor QS. I'm not really sure what you would be trying to achieve by retaking the full degree. I don't think they even do a QS degree here as it is quite a new role for Australia. I know they do some QS degree topics but not the full thing. When I was interviewed in England by my current employer I asked them why they would come to England looking for a QS. There response was that they don't really have them in Australia, that typically they used accountants but found QS's much more beneficial for this role.

Is he wanting to work for a PQS practice?

Who is he working for now, can't they transfer him into a QS role?

GavJS Jan 22nd 2015 3:37 pm

Hi folks,
Apologies for interrupting this thread but when I came across this topic I thought you'd be able to help. I'm a QS with a degree in Quantity Surveying obtained in Scotland and currently working towards obtaining chartership with RICS.

I have ambition to move to Australia within the next year or two, having visited twice before and again later this year. I'm struggling to get a sense of how the job market is in Australia for QS's, i.e. is there a particular area that has more jobs than others, are there more jobs in construction or oil & gas?

I've experience working in a main contractor's environment in traditional construction and am currently working in a QS consultancy dealing with oil & gas projects.

Would appreciate any advice you can give.

LeeWillo Jan 27th 2015 2:32 am

Hi Gav, I'm still with the company that brought me out here 3 years ago. They were bringing people out when there was a mining/construction boom. I have had plenty of offers to go elsewhere, including recently. Many of them are fly in/fly out which I don't want to do which restricts me a little.
In all I would say if you can get here you will find work. But you won't have it easy like I did where companies are paying for you to come out.
Traditional construction seems to be going ok at the moment, but oil & gas probably pays more, but at a FIFO price.
Good luck!

GavJS Jan 28th 2015 11:48 am

Hi Lee, thanks for the info, much appreciated.