Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In a quandary - UK or OZ

In a quandary - UK or OZ

Old May 1st 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice
Smile In a quandary - UK or OZ

Hi all

Just a small question - should we stay in the UK or go to Oz?!!!!!

Anyway, I'll start at the beginning. Have been gearing up to emigrate to Oz for ages. Husband has made contacts within the IT industry and we'd have every chance of going on a 457 visa. Went out on a reccie at the beginning of the year and found that Melbourne (where the vast majority of the jobs are outside of Sydney) was not really for us. Really liked Perth and thought Brisbane was nice too. Now back in the UK and trying (and failing like many others!) to sell our house. Already reduced the price by £20k. Exchange rate is rubbish. House prices in Oz seem to be on the increase. Now debating whether to buy a bigger house where we live and stay for a few years, save a bit more money etc. But then there is the fear that if we don't go now, we never will... Any advise? Anyone feel the same?

Thanks

Helen
Old May 1st 2008, 8:54 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a quandary - UK or OZ

Why do you want to move here ?

A lot of the reasons you mention are monetary and Australia is not a cheap place to live.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen roberts
Hi all

Anyway, I'll start at the beginning. Have been gearing up to emigrate to Oz for ages. Husband has made contacts within the IT industry and we'd have every chance of going on a 457 visa. Went out on a reccie at the beginning of the year and found that Melbourne (where the vast majority of the jobs are outside of Sydney) was not really for us. Really liked Perth and thought Brisbane was nice too. Now back in the UK and trying (and failing like many others!) to sell our house. Already reduced the price by £20k. Exchange rate is rubbish. House prices in Oz seem to be on the increase. Now debating whether to buy a bigger house where we live and stay for a few years, save a bit more money etc. But then there is the fear that if we don't go now, we never will... Any advise? Anyone feel the same?

Thanks

Helen
Everybody felt the same, and btw it gets worse the closer you get to emigration date!

We nearly pulled out with 2 weeks to go! - Thank Goodness we didn't.

One member of BE gave me the best advice ever at the time -

Originally Posted by a long forgotten member of BE to whom I am eternally grateful

If you don't come, the not coming could be worse than the coming and it not working, you will have to live with "what if" for the rest of your lives"
Buzzy
Old May 1st 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

yeah i did

we were going to go last year..put house on the market and everything...then decided that we didnt really want to go we wanted a bigger house in a different area of our village that the kids where settled here blah blah blah...then we realised that we just had cold feet..that we DID want the move that nothing we did here was getting rid of that feeling....
and..if we going to shackle ourselves to £150-200,000 mortgage we would rather have a house in australia than a 3 bed semi detached box in our town with no parking!

we are no kicking ourselves as we could have been there now..but i feel that now we have gone through this we are ready to make the move..

good luck

debbie
Old May 1st 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Hmmm, see loads of advantages to living in Oz. While we were there, our little ones (age 3 and 1) loved the outdoor lifestyle and we did too. I guess it just feels hard to potentially lose a big chunk of the money we saved to start us off in Oz. I know Oz is expensive - that's why we feel we need a decent amount of money! I think also mixed into all of this is that we do have a nice life here, I know I would miss my family and somehow am always trying to weigh up if it will be worth it. Not having very much money is just another con right now
Old May 1st 2008, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks

Helen
We have had similar discussions & we got our visa in March!

I think that you have to do what feels right for you but if it is a real, heartfelt dream, do you really want to wait for the 'perfect' time to move as it may never happen!
Adjusting to life in a new country is very hard. Emigrating is a major financial outlay and hugely stressful.(I speak from experience!) I have come to the conclusion that my OH is right and we just have to go for it. Whatever losses we have financially, we will work hard to redress once there.
You have to really consider what it is that you really want from the move I think to decide what is best for you!
Old May 1st 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Debbie - you have summed up my feeling perfectly. Was it nice to feel settled here for a while, or did it just feel like your were waiting for the big adventure?
Old May 1st 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice
Old May 1st 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, see loads of advantages to living in Oz. While we were there, our little ones (age 3 and 1) loved the outdoor lifestyle and we did too. I guess it just feels hard to potentially lose a big chunk of the money we saved to start us off in Oz. I know Oz is expensive - that's why we feel we need a decent amount of money! I think also mixed into all of this is that we do have a nice life here, I know I would miss my family and somehow am always trying to weigh up if it will be worth it. Not having very much money is just another con right now
Why do you think you won't go if you don't go now?
If you went now and had financial difficulties while trying to adjust and get set up, would that make the process any easier?
Aus isn't going anywhere and once you feel comfortable with the whole process of moving over then go for it. But at the end of the day if your decision
Old May 1st 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Thanks

Helen
Hi Helen
I'm just down the road from you, in Sambourne!
Waiting for Visa Grant and house been on market for 3 wks with no viewings so unless market picks up here( highly doubtful ) then our plans to get to Sydney by September this year look very unlikely! Don't want to rent it out but may have no option as not prepared to accept silly money for house! It's either that or validate ( using credit card) and wait til next yr or when things improve financially. Like you, everything inc exchange rate is Pants at the moment so really making me worry and have doubts as to which way to go! So, yes, do feel same as you but we've planned and wanted this so much and for so long that i really don't want to wait another year!!
It's a difficult one isn't it, suppose it depends on what you want the most
Best of luck
Carole
Old May 1st 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

hi helen

now we have come to terms with our decision we can't wait..but it did take us that stumble to realy sit down and think about what we wanted and why we were doing it..

i know about the money issue also as all our money is tied up in the house but we dont care..we feel that we will do whatever we need to

in fact my OH was the least keen at first and it was me that got cold feet now he is the voice of reason

you will do what you feel is the right thing

good luck

debbie
Old May 1st 2008, 9:26 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

We came with £10K - and now live a very comfortable lifestyle in a very nice house with nice cars etc...etc...blah...blah.....

Forget the cost - as long as you have enough to get setup initially, then all else will fall into place.
Old May 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Roberts
I know Oz is expensive - that's why we feel we need a decent amount of money! I think also mixed into all of this is that we do have a nice life here, I know I would miss my family and somehow am always trying to weigh up if it will be worth it. Not having very much money is just another con right now

In light of what you say above and with the exchange rate being heavily against you, I wouldn't jump into this at the moment if I was you. As somebody already said, oz is'nt going anywhere. Good luck with your decision.
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everybody for the taking the time to give such good advice. It's just helpful to be able to get a few different perspectives when considering such a huge move!

Thanks Helen
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

aqualiv will become famous soon enough

Hi all

Thanks

Helen
I'm feeling the same as you.
Also what I haven't seen mentioned on here, how do you deal with saying goodbye to your Mum and Dad?

Olivia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.