Quality of life.

Quality of life.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:19 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quality of life.

Originally Posted by Jaykay
Hi Caroline

We also spent the day at Williamstown on Sunday. For all of the years that I've lived in Melbourne I'd never been to Williamstown.

I absolutely loved the atmosphere there. We had some lunch in a fantastic little restaurant overlooking the port, then grabbed a gelati icecream and wandered down to the pier.

We went on one of the 30 min cruises, which was really nice as it was a very warm day.

I have a feeling I may have seen you walking by. Were you wearing a turquoise blue top?

Anyway if ever we decide to move, I would seriously consider Williamstown as an option.
It is lovely isn't it - very happy to be living here - good community spirit here too

I was wearing a blue and white stripy sundress that day. Was with hubby who was wearing white t-shirt and shorts.

Hope to see you again, maybe at another meet? (Might be good to arrange before the weather gets too chilly - once Anya and Mark get back from Blighty)

Caroline
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

You are very right, Caroline. This is has been an outstanding summer for us, really enjoying everything that Melbourne has to offer. It started with the Melbourne cup, a few days over Christmas spent at Apollo Bay, the 12 apostles and Port Campbell – it’s truly breathtaking. We have also been to the Yarra Valley, to do a little wine tasting and taking in the beautiful sights, picnics at the botanical gardens, walks around the Albert Park lake, we went to the moonlight cinema to see ‘Shaun of the dead’, went to the Werribee open range which I highly recommend, we watched the grand Prix from the roof of my husband’s office which is across the road from Albert Park (views like that would have cost a fortune but we got it for free ), took our car on the ferry from Geelong to Sorrento, went to the Australian Open tennis, enjoyed the St Kilda street festival and the Moomba festival and been to some fantastic restaurants, pubs and nightclubs…and next weekend we are going to the Melbourne Airshow which my husband has waiting for since we first found out about it which was about 2 years ago. There is always something happening in Melbourne – some of it is free and sometimes you have to pay, but it’s always interesting
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:44 am
Just Joined

spondyatwood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
When I was in England, I worked very hard to obtain a decent quality of life (often working 6 days a week, and long hours - so that my days off were spent recovering, and I found that I had little time to enjoy life in England.

I worked last week and this weekend I have been able to enjoy a glorious, sunny lifestyle here in Victoria.
It started with a drive down the Great Ocean Road from my home in Williamstown to Lorne. During the drive, we stopped several times to look and walk on the amazing coastline of the area - beaches that were full of variation - from the renowned Bells Beach, where the world Surf Championships are due to be held Easter weekend; coves almost hidden by towering cliffs and a lovely stretch of rockpools where starfish, anenomes, sponges and weird and wonderful seaweeds could be seen.
The trip terminated in Lorne, a very pleasant small town which had many parrots of various kinds that I have seen during my whole time in Australia so far (King parrots; Eastern rosellas and Crimson rosellas, and a mob of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos - which seemed to take great delight in dive-bombing us as we sat having a drink in a park.

The next day was spent in Melbourne CBD at the Moomba Waterfest - watching the International Waterski Championships - as well as some time wandering the Royal Botanical gardens - all free entertainment and relaxation.

Today (had a 3 day weekend ) we spent in the vicinity of our home - having a stroll down to the Marina at Nelson Place (in Williamstown, home town)

Next week I have 4 days off together (Sat to Tues inclusive) and plan to explore further down the GOR to Port Fairy and drive back taking in the shipwreck coast and the Twelve Apostles - staying anywhere that can put us up.

I have found that my life has become less materialistic since being here, and that enjoyment comes not from ownership, but from the ability to get 'out and about', and enjoy life and the beauties of this amazing land (and I've only just tasted a little !! );to be able to work my week without having to do hours of overtime (either to pay for things or else due to chronic staff shortages)
Maybe this life is not for everyone - some people feel that they need the most uptodate gadgets, flashly cars and expensive homeware etc - and fair enough to those people - but Australia does seem to offer an alternative to those that want it.

Cas
CAS We too live in Williamstown and my wife also a Nurse works at Sunshine Hospital.We Emigrated last August.
We have spent a faboulous weekend exploring Victoria taking the Queenscliffe to Sorento ferry seeing a pod of Dolphins on the way on Saturday and on Sunday taking a trip upto Echuka on the Murray River and travelling along in a paddle steamer.On the way home we saw Fields of Kangaroos and Emus grazing.
We do spend a lot of our time walking along Nelson Parade visiting the ice cream shops and having a beer or three at the Customs House and watching the World go by.
Yes Australia is alot more relaxed and Victoria avery diverse state.
Within an hour from the CBD you can have beatiful Mountains with the You Yangs/Dandenongs or be on a lovely stretch of Beach the choice is yours.
The hardest thing we have found is making new and permanent friends especially if you rent as not all Australians are very forward and tend to keep themselves to themselves.They are however very nice people.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too ! And possoms.

A friend of mine has just moved about 40 kms away from the CBD, and looked out of her bedroom window to see 17 kangaroos on her land - wonderful
Nice posts Caroline ... and know what you mean about enjoying the gorgeousness that is Victoria. We spent saturday surfing at Phillip Island , with fish and chips in Rye watching the sun go down, and spotting huge rays in the water by the pier; and sunday eating brunch outside and then rollerblading fron Albert Park to St Kilda, stopping off for ice creams and watching all the kite surfers. Just great.

I hope you enjoy the otways - we spent a few days there over xmas and loved it. We saw kangeroos and echidnas and kookaburras and drank lots of wine in lovely small vineyards.

BTW with your appreciation of possums, I thought you might like to know that we found a possum living in one of the bins in a lab at work today

H
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My wife, sometimes "specials" psych, patients, almost exclusively on night shift though, at the Western General, and Sunshine hospitals, So Nurses here may have already worked around her.

Also a poster up in Bendigo, possibly works with my sister in law,

Small world innit !
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My wife, sometimes "specials" psych, patients, almost exclusively on night shift though, at the Western General, and Sunshine hospitals, So Nurses here may have already worked around her.

Small world innit !
Yeh...I think my avatar is related to yours

Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Small world innit !
I work at the Mercy hospital in Werribee.

Is the person you mention Hels (in Bendigo) I've met her a couple of times - onve at the receny Mellie meet and once at the 'Age' harvest festival - she's lovely.

Happy birthday

Cas
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spondyatwood
CAS We too live in Williamstown and my wife also a Nurse works at Sunshine Hospital.We Emigrated last August.
We have spent a faboulous weekend exploring Victoria taking the Queenscliffe to Sorento ferry seeing a pod of Dolphins on the way on Saturday and on Sunday taking a trip upto Echuka on the Murray River and travelling along in a paddle steamer.On the way home we saw Fields of Kangaroos and Emus grazing.
We do spend a lot of our time walking along Nelson Parade visiting the ice cream shops and having a beer or three at the Customs House and watching the World go by.
Yes Australia is alot more relaxed and Victoria avery diverse state.
Within an hour from the CBD you can have beatiful Mountains with the You Yangs/Dandenongs or be on a lovely stretch of Beach the choice is yours.
The hardest thing we have found is making new and permanent friends especially if you rent as not all Australians are very forward and tend to keep themselves to themselves.They are however very nice people.
What i have seen so far of Victoria I think is lovely - cannot wait to see more.
Work is in the way, but once I have PR, and can go PT - there will be no stopping me!!

Have you been to the Hanging rock area yet - it's lovely.

If you fancy meeting for a drink and chin-wag, PM me and I'll give you my phone number

Cas
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helenmaine
Nice posts Caroline ... and know what you mean about enjoying the gorgeousness that is Victoria. We spent saturday surfing at Phillip Island , with fish and chips in Rye watching the sun go down, and spotting huge rays in the water by the pier; and sunday eating brunch outside and then rollerblading fron Albert Park to St Kilda, stopping off for ice creams and watching all the kite surfers. Just great.

I hope you enjoy the otways - we spent a few days there over xmas and loved it. We saw kangeroos and echidnas and kookaburras and drank lots of wine in lovely small vineyards.

BTW with your appreciation of possums, I thought you might like to know that we found a possum living in one of the bins in a lab at work today

H
Hi Helen, haven't been to Philip island yet, but it's on the 'to-do' list - amongst many other things

Where do you work - the only possom i've seen is a dead one

Cas
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I work at the Mercy hospital in Werribee.

Is the person you mention Hels (in Bendigo) I've met her a couple of times - onve at the receny Mellie meet and once at the 'Age' harvest festival - she's lovely.

Happy birthday

Cas
My SiLaw, (or did, havn't thought to ask her if she is still employed there) works with the students, at a uni in Bendigo, I'm pretty sure there is only the one Uni up there. So I must check that out. Interesting town Bendigo, well worth the visit. Thanks for the B'day wishes,
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

My SiLaw, (or did, havn't thought to ask her if she is still employed there) works with the students, at a uni in Bendigo, I'm pretty sure there is only the one Uni up there. So I must check that out. Interesting town Bendigo, well worth the visit. Thanks for the B'day wishes,

You will have to let me know who your SIL is. I am the one at the Uni, although I am actually employed by the Student Association.

Send me a PM if you like, although I havent been here too long yet and am still getting to know people.

Hels
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with all the comments about Victoria, I love it.

Me and my daughter drove into the city on sunday we passed the G and the Rod laver arena and as we got on top of the Bolte bridge and looked over the port, the arts center, rialto tower, telstra dome i felt a strange feeling of this being "home". I looked at my girl (not for too long cos i didn't want to kill us!) and said that i couldn't believe that this beautiful place was now our home. She replied how lucky we were to live here and that she sometimes still can't believe it.

A massive feeling of contentment washed over me, i am now comfortable with Aus being home
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:57 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by hevs

A massive feeling of contentment washed over me, i am now comfortable with Aus being home
AAwwwww, got the warm fuzzies after reading that

M

Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:11 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
AAwwwww, got the warm fuzzies after reading that

M
Try Alka Seltzer

This thread does have an uplifting feel to it
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:13 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by fireeater
Try Alka Seltzer

This thread does have an uplifting feel to it
Plink, plink, fizz.

Yep makes a nice change having some brightness in the Forum!

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.