Qualification question

Qualification question

Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

andylong677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification question

Hi all,

On the point system under qualification it states:
You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority.

Does anyone know what level this qualification needs to be? My wife and I will finish the first year of a degree next year (cert of higher Education) which in the UK is a Level 4 qualification in the UK. My wife already has 2 level 3 qualifications in her profession. In another year we are both hoping to pass the 2nd year of the degree (Dip of Higher education), which is level 5.

Is there a min level the assessing authority will look at, or am i am reading the hole thing wrong?

Many thanks

Andy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualification question

Without knowing what occupation you are applying under impossible to answer. So what visa, who is the main applicant and what occupation?

Then maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction or at least clarify things for you
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. My wife will be the main applicant, due to her age and occupation area.

She is currently a family support work, so if she stayed in that role we would try for state sponsorship. I think only the NT sponsor that occupation at the moment.

She wants to move to a child care centre manager, which is on the SOL list, so would then go for the 189.

She is doing a degree in Heath and Social Care through the OU, but may not finish it in time, so would have the 2nd year done and get a level 5 Dip of Higher Ed. She has 2 Level 3 childcare qualifications (CACHE). If she had the managers role she intends to squeeze in a level 4 Management qualification as well.

Would these sort of levels be sufficient for the 10 points? They are all relevant to her current and future roles.

When we were at the downunder live show recently the migration agents seemed to indicate that if she has a level 4 equivalent she would be ok, but were quite vague as we were looking at 3 years in the future.

Many thanks

Andy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the skills assessment requirements for that occupation? If it states degree, then it needs a degree.

Also, most occupations require several years post qualification experience in the role to pass a skills assessment.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There is so much information, its hard to know where to look, so appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Looked on the website and it says Family Support Worker requires a Diploma and Centre Manager a Degree.

So if she stayed as a Family Support Work and got her 2nd year of a degree which is the Higher Diploma, I am guessing this would get her assessment and the extra 10 points.

Would that be correct? Obviously there is more to the assessment than just the qualification, but as she is currently doing the job I am guessing she would pass it.

Thanks

Andy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andylong677
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There is so much information, its hard to know where to look, so appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Looked on the website and it says Family Support Worker requires a Diploma and Centre Manager a Degree.

So if she stayed as a Family Support Work and got her 2nd year of a degree which is the Higher Diploma, I am guessing this would get her assessment and the extra 10 points.

Would that be correct? Obviously there is more to the assessment than just the qualification, but as she is currently doing the job I am guessing she would pass it.

Thanks

Andy
Not necessarily. Most work experience is expected to be post qualification. If she's doing the work now, without the degree then it's not classed as skilled.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks Dorothy,

Looks like we will be aiming for 4 years time. That way she will have just over 2 years post qualification, and over 5 in the role itself.

Thanks

Andy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy,

Looks like we will be aiming for 4 years time. That way she will have just over 2 years post qualification, and over 5 in the role itself.

Thanks

Andy
The 5 years won't count. Only the time post qualification in most cases.

Look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and read over the requirements for whatever skill you plan to apply under. Then go to the website for the assessing body and really read (then read it again) what you need to do to pass the skills assessment.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Hi Dorothy,

Took some digging, the vetassess site doesn't go out of its way to make things easy. Looks like 1 year post qualification with a diploma in a 'highly relevant field of study'.

Had a look at the AQF website, and a few others, and I believe her cert of higher education in Children & Families, which she can claim next year could be the same as an AQF Diploma. But have emailed Vetassess to confirm it.

Found this page that helps with the qualifications https://www.australia-migration.com/..._standards/353

Thanks

Andy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy,

Took some digging, the vetassess site doesn't go out of its way to make things easy. Looks like 1 year post qualification with a diploma in a 'highly relevant field of study'.

Had a look at the AQF website, and a few others, and I believe her cert of higher education in Children & Families, which she can claim next year could be the same as an AQF Diploma. But have emailed Vetassess to confirm it.

Found this page that helps with the qualifications https://www.australia-migration.com/..._standards/353

Thanks

Andy
Please note that that is a commercial site and nothing to do with the visa site or qualification assessment. You do need to get the correct information from Vetassess.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:34 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks

Andy
Yes, only one year post qualification is needed, however keep in mind the occupation may not be on the list by then, just keeping things real. Have you also sorted if any, or what, states are sponsoring and the requirements for sponsorship. I only checked my state, not sponsoring and NT,although a great place, for the profession in question, I'd be asking why are they sponsoring? Good luck with your plans but I hope the aim isn't "we just want to live in Oz"
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mike, just used that site to get a comparison of AUS to UK qualifications. Will wait until vetassess reply for a definite answer.

Having read this and other sites I get the impression that NT struggle to recruit and retain. Many posts have been about moving to other states from the NT.

I also assume they have a bigger issue requiring Family Support workers.

Ideally we wanted to be near to Melbourne, closer to my family, but if the only way of getting a visa is to work in the NT for 2 years, we will do that. You never know we may love it there and stay!!

We are both aware that this occupation could drop off the list at any time. But that's out of our control. But we sit with our fingers, legs and everything else crossed.

I am sure I will have many more questions, so thank you all for your help so far.

Andy