Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quad bikes...what are the rules?

Quad bikes...what are the rules?

Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Beachbumz has a spectacular aura aboutBeachbumz has a spectacular aura aboutBeachbumz has a spectacular aura about
Default Quad bikes...what are the rules?

Hi Guys
can anyone tell me what the rules are for quad bikes riding on the beaches etc in WA?
i'm seriously thinkin of buying one but don't know much about them yet, they look bloody good fun eh?
any advice greatly recieved mates....
cheers
by the way merry christmas too !!
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quad bikes...what are the rules?

Originally Posted by Beachbumz
Hi Guys
can anyone tell me what the rules are for quad bikes riding on the beaches etc in WA?
i'm seriously thinkin of buying one but don't know much about them yet, they look bloody good fun eh?
cheers
Pretty sure you need a licence from the local shire to ride on the beach.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys
cheers
For the unlucky ones they're called "quad" (as in quadraplegic) bikes. http://www.abc.net.au/southeastsa/stories/s1609166.htm

WW
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:08 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys
cheers
As far as im aware and this only because i used to ride up at lancelin a lot .
The law is i believe every off road bike should be registered and gets its own number plate ,this entitles you to ride in designated off road areas .
Unless the beach is a designated off road area it would be illegal to ride there ,i used to ride a bike on the beach but it was registered for road use and anywhere 4 wheel drives were allowed i went too .
Ofcourse no one takes any notice of all this law abiding tosh and gets a quad or bike anyway and do the runner from the ranger when he comes after you .
Hope this is of some use ,merry xmas
Old Dec 25th 2006, 3:37 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassenach
As far as im aware and this only because i used to ride up at lancelin a lot .
The law is i believe every off road bike should be registered and gets its own number plate ,this entitles you to ride in designated off road areas .
Unless the beach is a designated off road area it would be illegal to ride there ,i used to ride a bike on the beach but it was registered for road use and anywhere 4 wheel drives were allowed i went too .
Ofcourse no one takes any notice of all this law abiding tosh and gets a quad or bike anyway and do the runner from the ranger when he comes after you .
Hope this is of some use ,merry xmas
Thought you couldn't legally ride a quad bike on the road here, have never seen any fully specked up road legal ones at all since getting here.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Bear in mind that if houses are nearby the residents may not enjoy the continuous rore of 2 stoke engines all day while they try to relax on their patio. Not a problem for me but I know loads that are effected by it and it makes their lives a misery.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Rabc
Bear in mind that if houses are nearby the residents may not enjoy the continuous rore of 2 stoke engines all day while they try to relax on their patio. Not a problem for me but I know loads that are effected by it and it makes their lives a misery.
They were road legal in UK though not talking about off roading.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:10 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
Thought you couldn't legally ride a quad bike on the road here, have never seen any fully specked up road legal ones at all since getting here.
no you cant ,but they have proper off road number plates with ''off road '' written on them ,it was cheap as chips to register [about 6 dollars a year when i last did it ] ,this only enables you to ride in designated off road areas and not what is deemed to be public roads it also prevents the ranger from giving you an infringment notice for not having a off road bike registered for off road use in a designated off road area [ie some of lancelin dunes ].
If the off road bike is registerd for public roads it can be ridden anywhere where vehicles are allowed to go .
As you have rightly stated annqldau ,quads arnt allowed on public roads full stop and thus wouldnt be allowed on the beach where cars registered for the road maybe allowed .
It was me being a smart arse and saying what my experience of the law was in stead of saying get a proper road registerd off road bike and you can go anywhere 4 wheelers go .
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:38 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
For the unlucky ones they're called "quad" (as in quadraplegic) bikes. http://www.abc.net.au/southeastsa/stories/s1609166.htm

WW
Yep ..Ask Ozzie Osbourne.He survived all them drugs and booze and then a little spin on a quad nearly killed him ...
Old Dec 26th 2006, 9:00 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Yep ..Ask Ozzie Osbourne.He survived all them drugs and booze and then a little spin on a quad nearly killed him ...
...........................................and Rik Mayall
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
no you cant ,but they have proper off road number plates with ''off road '' written on them ,it was cheap as chips to register [about 6 dollars a year when i last did it ] ,this only enables you to ride in designated off road areas and not what is deemed to be public roads it also prevents the ranger from giving you an infringment notice for not having a off road bike registered for off road use in a designated off road area [ie some of lancelin dunes ].
If the off road bike is registerd for public roads it can be ridden anywhere where vehicles are allowed to go .
As you have rightly stated annqldau ,quads arnt allowed on public roads full stop and thus wouldnt be allowed on the beach where cars registered for the road maybe allowed .
It was me being a smart arse and saying what my experience of the law was in stead of saying get a proper road registerd off road bike and you can go anywhere 4 wheelers go .
One of those quirks of the law the registerd off road bike that can go anywhere the 4 wheelers go but sand makes for a hard landing... .
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
That was just a glitch in the Ozzie matrix he was just snoozing for a while waiting for the commotion to settle. Just showed living life to the full while he could was a good thing for him as you never know what's around the corner.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

They are just as neighbourly as jetskis.