Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QS/ Assistant site Manager opportunities for graduates

QS/ Assistant site Manager opportunities for graduates

Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of
Default QS/ Assistant site Manager opportunities for graduates

Hi I am arriving in Melbourne with a degree in the above mentioned fields in march. Although I am landing in Melbourne I will be considering jobs oz wide. I have placement experience I'm these fields as well as 7 years self employed in the carpenntry field. is there anyone that could point me in the right direction here on approaching companies or even give me names of large companies. I am not bothered in the slightest of which profession the job would be for as I would just like to land a long term job and stck to it (something that is increasingly hard for a graduate in the UK these days).

In short are there any QS's/site manager's/project superintendants or even general know it all that could help me in the slightest here.....as I am due to land in march and starting to get a bit panicky incase things don't work out.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QS/ Assistant site Manager opportunities for graduates

You're coming on a working holiday visa, right?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

Yeah mate........that is basically all I could afford. Might seem wild to you's guys but there is prob ten times better chance over there than here.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timmerman
Yeah mate........that is basically all I could afford. Might seem wild to you's guys but there is prob ten times better chance over there than here.
Maybe...if you had a visa allowing unrestricted work.

BUT, you're asking about a long term job. I think you'll struggle to find a graduate position that will take someone with less than PR.

You'll have to settle looking for casual / contract positions < 6mths. I doubt you'll get sponsored without first demonstrating your capabilities...guessing from what you say you don't have post uni experience?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Maybe...if you had a visa allowing unrestricted work.

BUT, you're asking about a long term job. I think you'll struggle to find a graduate position that will take someone with less than PR.

You'll have to settle looking for casual / contract positions < 6mths. I doubt you'll get sponsored without first demonstrating your capabilities...guessing from what you say you don't have post uni experience?
Only 3moaths mate. to be fair I do class myself of a higher technical knowledge than other graduates due to the trades background. that's my only selling point really. what about all these booming mines ??
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Only 3moaths mate. to be fair I do class myself of a higher technical knowledge than other graduates due to the trades background. that's my only selling point really. what about all these booming mines ??
It's been 6 months for a long time now.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

It's been 6 months for a long time now.
Dunno what you mean? do you mean the mines haven't been booming for six months ??
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Dunno what you mean? do you mean the mines haven't been booming for six months ??
I said you'd need to look for contract positions < 6 months at first.

You said - only 3 months - I assume you were referring to what I said about the contract positions?

And I'm saying you can work for 6 months for a single employer on a WHV.

What was your 3 month comment about?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

I said you'd need to look for contract positions < 6 months at first.

You said - only 3 months - I assume you were referring to what I said about the contract positions?

And I'm saying you can work for 6 months for a single employer on a WHV.

What was your 3 month comment about?
Sorry mate, wires crossed there. I meant 3 months post grad experience. although I was thinking of putting a year on my CV. don't know if that's wise though
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Mining might be booming but not that many people are actually employed in the sector, I think only 250,000 nationwide, so it's really tough getting a foot in.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
Mining might be booming but not that many people are actually employed in the sector, I think only 250,000 nationwide, so it's really tough getting a foot in.
Yeah I've heard that mate. either way it's worth a bash....I mean if i can't get a grad job at least I've got my trade. it's just a shame all those years at Uni not to get a job

All I can say is thank god I left school at 15 to go and get a trade....I would be screwed if I had just took the Uni path
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My landlord is a mine manager with Newcrest and before that he worked for BHP. My husband worked for Rio Tinto. Those are the only mining companies I know of.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
My landlord is a mine manager with Newcrest and before that he worked for BHP. My husband worked for Rio Tinto. Those are the only mining companies I know of.
Cheers I'll get onto them tomoz