Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

qld vaccination for children and adults over 65

qld vaccination for children and adults over 65

Old May 7th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default qld vaccination for children and adults over 65

hi all,

just went through the vaccination schedules of qld and it seems 3 vaccines given at age 2,4,6 months(prevenar for Pneumococcal disease) and for meningitis (1 year), vaccine for rotavirus are not in sri lanka's vaccination schedule. my daughter is now 4y. past the age the these vaccines are given. i read some where that once we arrive the doctor will go through her schedule and give the vaccines which were not given according to the qld schedule.

1. did i read right ? even if she is now 4y will she get it?
2. do we have to pay for these vaccines?
3. do we have to pay for it and get it since she is now past the age that its actually given ?
4. my dad is 67y and i saw that he should be taking the flu vaccine and the vaccine for Pneumococcal disease.. does this come free or do we pay for it ? 5.if paying in both cases can we claim it.

the purpose of asking this is i might be able to get the vaccines here privately by paying for it.. thought it looks quite expensive. if i am to pay for it in qld then i would want to see the cost, if it is expensive than here , i might as well get it done from here before i arrive in qld..

thanks
mala
Old May 7th 2011, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default Re: qld vaccination for children and adults over 65

sorry guys.. it just hit me that i posted in thr wrong area!! sorry for the trouble and thanks for moving!
Old May 7th 2011, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mala
sorry guys.. it just hit me that i posted in thr wrong area!! sorry for the trouble and thanks for moving!
No problem You're more likely to get replies in here
Old May 7th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mala
hi all,

just went through the vaccination schedules of qld and it seems 3 vaccines given at age 2,4,6 months(prevenar for Pneumococcal disease) and for meningitis (1 year), vaccine for rotavirus are not in sri lanka's vaccination schedule. my daughter is now 4y. past the age the these vaccines are given. i read some where that once we arrive the doctor will go through her schedule and give the vaccines which were not given according to the qld schedule.

1. did i read right ? even if she is now 4y will she get it?
2. do we have to pay for these vaccines?
3. do we have to pay for it and get it since she is now past the age that its actually given ?
4. my dad is 67y and i saw that he should be taking the flu vaccine and the vaccine for Pneumococcal disease.. does this come free or do we pay for it ? 5.if paying in both cases can we claim it.

the purpose of asking this is i might be able to get the vaccines here privately by paying for it.. thought it looks quite expensive. if i am to pay for it in qld then i would want to see the cost, if it is expensive than here , i might as well get it done from here before i arrive in qld..

thanks
mala
I'm not in Aus yet but been reading up on this because I have a baby and moving in Sept. My understanding is yes they need them done regardless of age and you pay for them but if you qualify you can get a vaccine payment from centrelink along with family tax benefits.
Someone else may know more about paying though because there must be some free if they are to ensure all kids get vaccinated!

No idea about paying for vaccines for the elderly though. He really should get the flu vaccine at his age.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Children's immunisation clinics - appear to be free http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...nics/index.htm
Eligibility for immunisation - all children and seniors, including international and interstate visitors, can use the Council's immunisation services. Doesn't seem to say if seniors have to pay, but looking at these very generous arrangements, I doubt it http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...lity/index.htm.
Brisbane City Council's Community Support http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...port/index.htm

If you get the flu vaccination done in Sri Lanka, would it cover the flu strains expected in Australia this winter? Suggest you contact someone in on the Community Support website to ask about this and if your father needs to pay for his vaccination. Also ask about the timing for his vaccination, the time it takes to be effective in the body, your arrival time in QLD, and the months for the flu season. Many other posters on BE have reported getting sick when they first move to Australia, as their bodies are used to different environments (germs, allergens, etc).
Old May 8th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks everyone! more replies welcome!
Old May 9th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

In Qld the over-65s get free vaccinations, including flu every year, providing the entitled to Medicare.

A private flu vaccine cost me $19 for the vaccine and $11.55 for the nurse to inject it (non-Medicare).
Old May 10th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

simonking is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
In Qld the over-65s get free vaccinations, including flu every year, providing the entitled to Medicare.

A private flu vaccine cost me $19 for the vaccine and $11.55 for the nurse to inject it (non-Medicare).
My flu injection was free (over 65) but had to pay $60 to see a doctor to say it was ok for the nurse to give it.

I have been having flu injections for over 40 years and never had to see a doctor first.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonking
My flu injection was free (over 65) but had to pay $60 to see a doctor to say it was ok for the nurse to give it.

I have been having flu injections for over 40 years and never had to see a doctor first.
There was a recent article in Perth about a pharmacy chain providing vaccinations, strongly objected to by doctors, of course, the proposed $30 fee is a lot less than many would pay if they don't have a bulk-billing GP bhttp://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/pharmacy-flu-jabs-stir-up-controversy-20110329-1ce4a.html.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonking

I was seeing the doctor anyway and just asked for scripts for me and my OH while I was there. If I had had to get a special doctor's appt it would have been $60, with a refund of about $36 from Medibank.

If I was covered by Medicare I'd still have to pay for the vaccine but the nurse's services would be bulk-billed.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

does it mean they are not free at the clinics either?