Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qld shark feeding Frenzy

Wikiposts

Qld shark feeding Frenzy

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:04 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Qld shark feeding Frenzy

Anyone going for a swim over the holidays? Pity it's off South straddie though, maybe they'll come closer to the mainland with a bit of luck.

For those who didn't see it on last nights news, story below:
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E3102,00.html

The last feeding frenzy that we saw was that one three years ago which is mentioned in that story. It's a fantastic sight. There were even shots of a surfer oblivious to a big shark underneath his board at the last one- I still have it on tape. . This usually happens when there's a huge amount of baitfish in the water. Time before that it was near Noosa.

fantastic!!!! - I'm tempted to go over to S straddie the weekend , bet they will have gone by then though.

Enjoy it while you can if anyone is going over there, it's one hell of a sight, only happens every so often.

I do love these feeding frenzies
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Qld shark feeding Frenzy

Originally Posted by Ceri
Anyone going for a swim over the holidays? Pity it's off South straddie though, maybe they'll come closer to the mainland with a bit of luck.

For those who didn't see it on last nights news, story below:
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E3102,00.html

The last feeding frenzy that we saw was that one three years ago which is mentioned in that story. It's a fantastic sight. There were even shots of a surfer oblivious to a big shark underneath his board at the last one- I still have it on tape. . This usually happens when there's a huge amount of baitfish in the water. Time before that it was near Noosa.

fantastic!!!! - I'm tempted to go over to S straddie the weekend , bet they will have gone by then though.

Enjoy it while you can if anyone is going over there, it's one hell of a sight, only happens every so often.

I do love these feeding frenzies
Caught the end of this on the radio this morning - thanks for the link, I'd forgotten I wanted to find out more by the time I actually got to work
Not too sure about the tale of the horse though, I waterski on the Brisbane River

Last edited by mlbonner; Mar 23rd 2005 at 12:46 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:33 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Caught the end of this on the radio this morning - thanks for the link, I'd forgotten I wanted to find out more by the time I actually got to work
Not too sure about the tale of the horse though, I waterski on the Brisbane River
Brisbane river is full of Bull sharks, in the salt and right up into the Fresh water.
If you're into shark fishing - Brisbane river is one of the best places to start. You'll catch a few on good night - it is absoulety full of them in the summer months, guaranteed a catch in the evening/nights, live bait - mullet, or you'll be sitting there all night with dead bait

I saw the horse on the TV last night - it was only a small bite - my guess it was just a three , maybe four foot bull that did it - baby one, which the river and creeks are full of this time of year.

The news is into scare tactic stories.

The river is full of them - last confirmed death in the river by a shark was way back in the 60's I think - at a place call "Gay's corner" ( haven't got a clue where that is supposed to be in the river) , A father was carrying his young toddle on his shoulders to reach his moored boat - dropped son , and a shark took him ( the little boy).

Most people don't swim in the river ( except the fresh reaches, cleaner water- must be mad to swim near the mouth etc .
A few years ago a lot the skiers were complaining about bites on their boards - must have been around 8 years ago now, when I was in NSW, read an article about it in the fishing mag.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 23rd 2005 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:47 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

The news is into scare tactic stories.
without a doubt!

Most people don't swim in the river ( except the fresh reaches, cleaner water- must be mad to swim near the mouth etc .
A few years ago a lot the skiers were complaining about bites on their boards - must have been around 8 years ago now, when I was in NSW, read an article about it in the fishing mag.

I wouldn't swim in it, its not the best thats for sure. We ski up near Fig-Tree Pocket if we're on the Brisbane River, otherwise we stick close to home and go to Deepwater Bend. Not too sure about sharks at Deepwater, daresay there are some they'd have to fight for room with the jellyfish though, there's literally hundreds of those buggers there!