Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD Schools OP Results 2008

QLD Schools OP Results 2008

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default QLD Schools OP Results 2008

Hey

Does anyone know when the QLD School OP Reports for 2008 are released? I thought it was around this time last year?

It was bad enough choosing a primary school, never mind a secondary school!

Thanks

Jo
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:32 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: QLD Schools OP Results 2008

Its usualy the first week of April - but they werent published this week, so I'd guess next week (Wed or Thur from memory).

I'll post a link when I find it!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:14 am
ABCDiamond

While we wait fo the final 2008 breakdown, some figures so far released are:

Out of the 25,028 OP's given out in 2008
14,268 were to Females
10,760 were to Males

The report also says: "a greater number of the lower achieving students are choosing pathways that do not lead to OP-eligibility"

I am not sure if that is the right wording.
It may be that more Males are going for those High Paid trade vocations that were all the talk in the last few years.

The report, when finalised, should appear here: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/about/617.html with the 2005 to 2007 reports.

Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids high school did pretty well in the OP stakes.

But of course it didnt mention most of the high achievers were overseas international paying students those fellas work much harder than most aussies so the stats are pretty rubbish unless your from Korea
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Our kids high school did pretty well in the OP stakes.

But of course it didnt mention most of the high achievers were overseas international paying students those fellas work much harder than most aussies so the stats are pretty rubbish unless your from Korea
Don't think there will be any overseas international paying students around my neck of the woods! So the OP results should be pretty acurate!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:49 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Don't think there will be any overseas international paying students around my neck of the woods! So the OP results should be pretty acurate!
Oh I dunno...there's a few foreigners up your way!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

zippyderbyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

Does anyone know when the QLD School OP Reports for 2008 are released? I thought it was around this time last year?

It was bad enough choosing a primary school, never mind a secondary school!

Thanks

Jo
Soz to jump on here!! can anyone tell me what OP reports are?
Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by zippyderbyuk
Soz to jump on here!! can anyone tell me what OP reports are?
Cheers
Overall Positions, or OPs, provide a statewide rank order of students (on a 1 to 25 scale, 1 being the highest) based on students’ achievement in Authority subjects studied for the Queensland Senior Certificate.

A student’s OP shows how well that student has performed in their senior studies when compared with the performances of all other OP-eligible students in Queensland.

OPs are used in the selection of students for tertiary education courses.

They are used by tertiary education institutions as one basis for selecting applicants for a course when there are more eligible applicants than quota places for that course.

Not all students sit the Queensland Core Skills Test, which enables them to be eligible for an "OP Score".

But if they are aiming for University, then it is almost a must to do so.

This link http://smartop.qsa.qld.edu.au/ops/faqs.html has most answers, but appears to be down at the moment, (it was last updated 25.08.2008).

Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that reply it's going to be very useful.
The link is still down but I'll check later.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by zippyderbyuk
Thanks for that reply it's going to be very useful.
The link is still down but I'll check later.
I have a copy of the page if you need it.

Although I am wondering if they have changed everything, and removed it because it is now wrong ?....

Hang on, I just checked the root directory, and it says:
SmartOP for 2008 has closed.
Last updated 23.03.2009

Try this link http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/tertiaryentrance/630.html
it has similar info.

Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

The QLD education link has plenty of info.
We are hoping to be in Brisbane sometime next year along with our 8 and 16 year old kids. Already bookmarked the link think it'll will be getting plenty of visits from us!!

Thanks again
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
While we wait fo the final 2008 breakdown, some figures so far released are:

Out of the 25,028 OP's given out in 2008
14,268 were to Females
10,760 were to Males

The report also says: "a greater number of the lower achieving students are choosing pathways that do not lead to OP-eligibility"

I am not sure if that is the right wording.
It may be that more Males are going for those High Paid trade vocations that were all the talk in the last few years.

The report, when finalised, should appear here: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/about/617.html with the 2005 to 2007 reports.
Still no sign of it! Do you think they've forgotten to do it this year?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Still no sign of it! Do you think they've forgotten to do it this year?
Anything is possible...
Although, the rest of the statistics from the tests are just about all released now. So it may not be too much longer.

An interesting point is that fewer students are taking the test now, as the following figures show.

66.3% of students took the test in 2008
69.1% of students took the test in 2007
71.2% of students took the test in 2006
74.2% of students took the test in 2005
76.0% of students took the test in 2004
80% approx in 1992

In 2008 there were 41,151 year 12 students, of which 25,028 were OP-eligible.
Leaving 16,123 students who did not go down the OP route.

Background
Year 12 students in approved secondary schools and non-school-based applicants who have previously completed Year 12 or who are at least 18 years of age (through private entry) are given the opportunity to sit for the Queensland Core Skills Test (QCS) Test. The QCS Test is:
• a common statewide test for Queensland Year 12 students
• an achievement test, not an intelligence test, nor an aptitude test
• grounded in the Queensland senior curriculum
• accessible to all Year 12 students regardless of individual differences in subject patterns
• a standardised test requiring reading and writing in Australian English.
Attendance
Students who are eligible for an Overall Position (OP) or equivalent-OP are required to sit for the QCS Test. Students who are ineligible for an OP or equivalent-OP are not required to sit for the test but may elect to do so.

Old May 1st 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I've heard that the School OP Results 2008 will be released on Tuesday 5 May at 6am! (for those of you who will be so excited they won't be able to sleep!!).

Here's the link again

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/about/617.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.