Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD - school dentists - fillings

QLD - school dentists - fillings

Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default QLD - school dentists - fillings

Can anyone tell me what colour fillings are used by the school dentists.

My daughter has just been checked and needs two If they use the silver ones then I will be tempted to pay privately.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD - school dentists - fillings

Originally Posted by micnic

My daughter has just been checked and needs two If they use the silver ones then I will be tempted to pay privately.
OK my two pennyworth My girls both saw the school dentist, not too long after we got here but they had already seen a dentist privately. The school people said they needed treatment which, when I went back to our dentist, turned out to be not true. One of them did require something doing but our dentist didn't think it would be a good idea for a while. When I told the school people I didn't want it done, they got a bit arsey with me.

I think it's a great idea if you're stretched money wise but personally, I'd go the normal dentist route (English route ). Maybe we were unlucky but it seemed like they just wanted to up their numbers to get more government assistance money. Maybe completely wrong though.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
OK my two pennyworth My girls both saw the school dentist, not too long after we got here but they had already seen a dentist privately. The school people said they needed treatment which, when I went back to our dentist, turned out to be not true. One of them did require something doing but our dentist didn't think it would be a good idea for a while. When I told the school people I didn't want it done, they got a bit arsey with me.

I think it's a great idea if you're stretched money wise but personally, I'd go the normal dentist route (English route ). Maybe we were unlucky but it seemed like they just wanted to up their numbers to get more government assistance money. Maybe completely wrong though.
My daughter saw the english dentist only 6 months ago so I do find it hard to believe that she would need two fillings so soon after her last check up. I think I will go private for a second opinion.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, my next comment hopefully has no bearing on your old UK dentist but we thought ours was great, until we got here and the Aus guy found all sorts of problems that the UK hadn't but the school dentist picked up one thing and missed the others - anyway the girls were complicated but I didn't trust the school one. Most definitely get a second opinion. Can't remember how far away from us you are, but I can recommend a good practice down here.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Ahhhh, my next comment hopefully has no bearing on your old UK dentist but we thought ours was great, until we got here and the Aus guy found all sorts of problems that the UK hadn't but the school dentist picked up one thing and missed the others - anyway the girls were complicated but I didn't trust the school one. Most definitely get a second opinion. Can't remember how far away from us you are, but I can recommend a good practice down here.
i'm in Burleigh Waters. A recommendation would be good if it is near me. I thought our UK dentist was great - he has done my teeth since I was 3!!!
I'd like to think the school one has got it wrong - especially as our UK dentist has always said what good teeth my daughter had!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm in Burleigh Waters. A recommendation would be good if it is near me. I thought our UK dentist was great - he has done my teeth since I was 3!!!
I'd like to think the school one has got it wrong - especially as our UK dentist has always said what good teeth my daughter had!
There are probably plenty of good ones between here and you but I'll pm you their addy. My UK told me the girls teeth were excellent. Got here and the dentist called me in to show me a hole the size of the ozone hole in my youngest's tooth - not quite but....... he reckoned it must have been there at least two years - how crap did I feel The school dentist wanted to filll two tiny holes in baby teeth, one of which was very very close to falling out
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:09 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There are probably plenty of good ones between here and you but I'll pm you their addy. My UK told me the girls teeth were excellent. Got here and the dentist called me in to show me a hole the size of the ozone hole in my youngest's tooth - not quite but....... he reckoned it must have been there at least two years - how crap did I feel The school dentist wanted to filll two tiny holes in baby teeth, one of which was very very close to falling out
But whats the problem with filling them as there is no cost at all ( well here in WA there isnt from school dentists)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
But whats the problem with filling them as there is no cost at all ( well here in WA there isnt from school dentists)
You don't go having needles, drills, proddy pokey things and then shove something in a child's mouth if it doesn't need doing. Well I don't anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

You don't go having needles, drills, proddy pokey things and then shove something in a child's mouth if it doesn't need doing. Well I don't anyway.
I agree. My 7 yr old was crying through anxiety when she learnt she needed to have two fillings. If I can avoid the upset, discomfort or pain then I will.

If it NEEDS doing then that is a different matter.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:45 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

In my primary shool years I went to the school dentist also (mind you, that is in the Netherlands). Those comments you made about not being sure if the fillings are necessary as well as the comments of Moneypenny made me shiver. Obviously I don't have many good memories of the school one. How is it possible that between ages 6 and 11 I had to have 4 molars extracted (if that's the word for it) and 4 molars filled!! And after that never had any cavities etc. again (I'm 38 now and yes I do go to the dentist every 6 months). Imo go with your gut feeling, get things checked and avoid dodgy school dentists. For the school dentists who are genuine please accept my apologues

Miranda
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

I would be surprised if any fillings that might be necessary were anything other than composites (white/tooth coloured). We're in WA, but when we registered our girl with a dentist here, I made the mistake of saying that I didn't want her having mercury amalgams. Dentist looked at me as though I had suggested she might commit murder!! I was told very bluntly that dentists in Australia DO NOT use mercury amalgams, and most certainly not on children.

That was fine by me.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: QLD - school dentists - fillings

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
I would be surprised if any fillings that might be necessary were anything other than composites (white/tooth coloured). We're in WA, but when we registered our girl with a dentist here, I made the mistake of saying that I didn't want her having mercury amalgams. Dentist looked at me as though I had suggested she might commit murder!! I was told very bluntly that dentists in Australia DO NOT use mercury amalgams, and most certainly not on children.

That was fine by me.
As a dental nurse here in Australia I can assure you that Australia DOES still use Amalgam fillings. You can ask for composite (white) fillings but sometimes they are simply not the best to have, if your dentist is any good they'll explain the reasons for they're choice of filling material.

School dentists... They may not be dentists as such but therapists.

As for reasons that a deciduous (baby) tooth might be filled, It is possible that the decay may lead to an abscess, which inturn can lead to pain and possibly on to damage the bud of the adult tooth beneath. We tend not to fill kids teeth for fun

If you don't feel happy then find another dentist but never be afraid to ask questions, get the full picture. Sometimes when things are explained and it makes sense it makes the experience a whole lot better.

annn
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annn
As a dental nurse here in Australia I can assure you that Australia DOES still use Amalgam fillings. You can ask for composite (white) fillings but sometimes they are simply not the best to have, if your dentist is any good they'll explain the reasons for they're choice of filling material.

School dentists... They may not be dentists as such but therapists.

As for reasons that a deciduous (baby) tooth might be filled, It is possible that the decay may lead to an abscess, which inturn can lead to pain and possibly on to damage the bud of the adult tooth beneath. We tend not to fill kids teeth for fun

If you don't feel happy then find another dentist but never be afraid to ask questions, get the full picture. Sometimes when things are explained and it makes sense it makes the experience a whole lot better.

annn
thanks for that Annn

I have decided to get a 2nd opinion so will tell the school dentists that I don't want her treated. You are right, it is best to discuss matters - this is what i am struggling with - she saw school dentist on Wednesday of this week and they have booked her in for treatment on Tuesday! She was sent home with a piece of paper saying she needed two fillings but it does not say which teeth need to be filled! there is a telephone number to call to discuss but without either a diagram or the actual teeth to look at it is very hard to fully understand. My daughter indicated a couple of teeth to me but these are are canine and neighbouring tooth towards the front! Don't think that can be right!

I will see what the private dentist says and I shall try to remember to post the outcome.

Nicky
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by annn

Thanks for this, Ann. I am seeing her next week so will get her to clarify what she meant. Thought it was too good to be true!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Thanks for this, Ann. I am seeing her next week so will get her to clarify what she meant. Thought it was too good to be true!!
Just to clarify a bit more..... White fillings are used much more than amalgam these days, but a dentist may still recommend amalgam, if you are told an amalgam would be better then that's because it would. Usually white will be fine but not always. As you have been told white is what your dentist will do so no worries. I was just bothered that after your first post others might think their own dentist dodgy if they had to have amalgam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.