Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD Learner drivers to start using L plates !

QLD Learner drivers to start using L plates !

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

Default QLD Learner drivers to start using L plates !

I've just seen on the TV that Learner drivers in QLD may have to start displaying L plates, but possibly not before 2008, after it has been trialled for a few years.

I am still scratching my head in slight puzzlement.

So I checked on the QLD Drivers web site, and found confirmation. They are currently voluntary. :-

Question: Do I need to display "L" plates while I am a learner driver?
Answer: No.

In Queensland, "L" plates are an option available to private learner drivers who may wish to display the "L" plates whilst driving.

Driving schools however, are required to display "L" plates on their vehicles.

If a Learner driver is driving interstate, they should check with the relevant Interstate Authority to verify if they are required in that State and if any other possible restrictions apply.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Do they use P Plates in QLD? If so, seems a bit strange to not advertise yourself as a learner with an L plate, but have to advertise yourself as newly qualified with a P plate.

Love the idea of 4 years trial...is that laid back Qld for you!!?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Do they use P Plates in QLD? If so, seems a bit strange to not advertise yourself as a learner with an L plate, but have to advertise yourself as newly qualified with a P plate.

Love the idea of 4 years trial...is that laid back Qld for you!!?
No "P" plates either

The funny thing is that I hadn't really noticed, while i've been driving.

And I think they drive better up here than in NSW.

Yep, laid back QLD sounds about right.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
No "P" plates either

The funny thing is that I hadn't really noticed, while i've been driving.

And I think they drive better up here than in NSW.

Yep, laid back QLD sounds about right.
ABC I can't see how they can get worse than down here. Give someone Ps and a fat exhaust and they turn into an agressive %&^*^&&^%
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD Learner drivers to start using L plates !

There's all sorts of driving initiatives being discussed in Vic too - things like curfews for P platers to try and reduce number of night time fatalities. (Something like a third of all P plate fatalities occur late at night/early hours). Also compulsory attendance of road safety classes, and restrictions on engine sizes of cars.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
ABC I can't see how they can get worse than down here. Give someone Ps and a fat exhaust and they turn into an agressive %&^*^&&^%
Interesting, maybe because they can't be identified up here, they try to pretend they are good drivers, and actually become one ??

Nah, more likely i'm just lucky in the area I live in

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just seen on the TV that Learner drivers in QLD may have to start displaying L plates, but possibly not before 2008, after it has been trialled for a few years.

I am still scratching my head in slight puzzlement.

So I checked on the QLD Drivers web site, and found confirmation. They are currently voluntary. :-

Question: Do I need to display "L" plates while I am a learner driver?
Answer: No.

In Queensland, "L" plates are an option available to private learner drivers who may wish to display the "L" plates whilst driving.

Driving schools however, are required to display "L" plates on their vehicles.

If a Learner driver is driving interstate, they should check with the relevant Interstate Authority to verify if they are required in that State and if any other possible restrictions apply.
I have seen 'P' plates in Queensland. My boyfriend was one of them and he displayed his just next to his number plate (admittedly it wasn't bang in your face) but it was there.

He was on his P's for two years until he got an open licence.

Just wanted to add my two penneth in
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Natbat
I have seen 'P' plates in Queensland. My boyfriend was one of them and he displayed his just next to his number plate (admittedly it wasn't bang in your face) but it was there.

He was on his P's for two years until he got an open licence.

Just wanted to add my two penneth in
When was this ?

I have a feeling that they did use to have them before, I vaguely recall a nephew being on them. But can't find anything about them on the gov website.

It looks like they dropped them for some reason

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

When was this ?

I have a feeling that they did use to have them before, I vaguely recall a nephew being on them. But can't find anything about them on the gov website.

It looks like they dropped them for some reason
Well no you come to mention it, it was two years ago when we were last in Oz, so i am not sure if they have stopped them now.

Nat