Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qld FHB Stamp Duty Concession

Qld FHB Stamp Duty Concession

Old May 16th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

steved01 is on a distinguished road
Default Qld FHB Stamp Duty Concession

So after 3.5 years in Oz we have decided to stop renting and now buy (in the next 6 mths anyway!)

BUT...

The application form to claim the zero stamp duty here ... http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/forms/duti.../form-d2-1.pdf ... states:

'Before acquiring this property, have you ever held an interest in residential land in Queensland or elsewhere?'

...and the notes state • have never held an interest in residential land anywhere in the world.

http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/duties/tra...or-homes.shtml

I was wondering how the Qld OSR (Office of State Revenue) checks to see whether an applicant has owned overseas property in relation to the concession for stamp duty.

Surely there is no world wide record of property ownership !! Do they rely on the honesty of applicants?

If I tick no, what database would they check? Data protection laws around the world prevent the prying eyes of the australian gov – who do they check with?

I just don't get how the Qld Govt can make a check on this? There is no where on the form to indicate previous addresses in the UK etc and they won't have access to the land registry in the UK – the form doesn't even ask what country the property could have been in ?
Old May 17th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Qld FHB Stamp Duty Concession

Hi

I would like to know this as well.

Thanks

Paula
Old May 17th 2011, 12:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld FHB Stamp Duty Concession

Well Steve D of Forest Lake, Qld - you either answer the question honestly or submit a fraudulent application...the choice is yours!
Old May 17th 2011, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well Steve D of Forest Lake, Qld - you either answer the question honestly or submit a fraudulent application...the choice is yours!
It's like being at the pic'n'mix - just can't decide what 'lolly' to have a sneaky taste of before buying !

Who would know it's fraud - Qld Govt certainly wouldn't !
Old May 17th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Hi Steve,
They cannot and they dont so it is totally your call. If you tick the yes box then you will pay stamp duty, if you tick the no box you wont. It is as simple as that.

Personally, I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. It is completely absurd that you would be eligible for the first home owners grant despite having owned property overseas but not eligible for the stamp duty concessions. IMHO its their own fault and this question deserves only one answer.

all the best
Old May 17th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Dear Mr Tax Man,

I am importing a large lump of dosh which was from the sale of my home, not earned income, so please do not tax it. Oh, by the way, I have never owned a home, so can I have the FHB concession?

Yours faithfully........

Might be a difficult one to argue, but I wish I could!!!

TD
Old May 17th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
I am importing a large lump of dosh which was from the sale of my home, not earned income, so please do not tax it. Oh, by the way, I have never owned a home, so can I have the FHB concession?
Well the money came in over 3.5 years ago with us (only $50k or so - we only had our first home for 4 in the UK so profit wasn't that large esp after paying all the UK debts !) so has been taxed and spent already ! We have now saved another deposit (about $40k) - but every cent would help ;-)