Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD Driving Licence to stay the same

QLD Driving Licence to stay the same

Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:36 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Lightbulb QLD Driving Licence to stay the same

Due to Victoria & WA changing their rules, I thought I'd clarify with QLD Transport as to whether or not they had/would be in the near future.
This is the response I got to my email;

Thank you for your email about requirements to transfer a licence to Queensland from UK.

As the holder of a UK licence applying for a Queensland licence you are required to undertake a 30 question written test but exempt from having to
undertake a practical driving test. Currently, I am unaware of any plans
to change these requirements in Queensland.

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 10th 2005 at 2:35 am.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:01 am

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: QLD Driving Licence to stay the same

mlbonner

could u PM me the email address u used for the qld licensing
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:59 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Due to Victoria & WA changing their rules, I thought I'd clarify with QLD Transport as to whether or not they had/would be in the near future.

Thank you for your email about requirements to transfer a licence to Queensland from UK.

As the holder of a UK licence applying for a Queensland licence you are required to undertake a 30 question written test but exempt from having to

Hi Michelle,

This is excellent news - I thought I would have to take my practical test when I get there but I don't - yipppeeeee!!!!

That's cheered me up!

Cheers Michelle!!!!!

Shell
x
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Michelle,

This is excellent news - I thought I would have to take my practical test when I get there but I don't - yipppeeeee!!!!

That's cheered me up!

Cheers Michelle!!!!!

Shell
x

Hey.... well, when you look at it like that it is! WA & Vic have just changed their rules so no test of any sort is needed though, just a straight swap! Nevermind, 30questions is better than a practical I guess, and besides, I have 16 months to practice still
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:08 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hey.... well, when you look at it like that it is! WA & Vic have just changed their rules so no test of any sort is needed though, just a straight swap! Nevermind, 30questions is better than a practical I guess, and besides, I have 16 months to practice still

I didn't realise WA & Vic don't have to do a written test either! Lucky sods!
Still I'm just really happy that I don't have to do a practical.
How long do you have to complete the written test then if you have 16 months left to practice??
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:11 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by shecha
I didn't realise WA & Vic don't have to do a written test either! Lucky sods!
Still I'm just really happy that I don't have to do a practical.
How long do you have to complete the written test then if you have 16 months left to practice??

3 months from PR (once you're resident).... so 13 months till I get PR & then 3 months after that... perhaps they'll have changed the rules for me by then I'm actually considering doing it sooner though, I'm taking my Recreational Boat Licence in two weeks, will see how that goes first I think!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:27 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I was worried as thought me and my husband would have to take practical test in Brisbane when we get there. I have already been telling him off for crossing his hands on the steering wheel and checking myself to try and break bad habits

So just a 30 Q theory test then forever!!??

Lynn
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on a temp visa like me you don't have to take any tests

If you want to learn to drive here you have to pass your theory test then wait a minimum 6 months before taking a practical test.

Oh, above relates to Queensland BTW.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:10 pm
ad4ozz

So if you went to Vic or SW and changed Brit license to Oz without any questions then went to Queensland a couple of months after that would you still have to take Queenslands 30 questions or would it then be an automatic question free swop in Queensland .

Hoping to go to Brisbane in the long run but may save all the question answering as have car and bike and hubby has car, bike and HGV.....oh and does the no question thing only apply to Car or HGV as well?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There's always one

I believe once you have an Aus driving licence another state would not question how you obtained it so it would be a straightforward swap.
The 30 questions referred to were for normal car licence but don't know what is necessary for HGV. Sorry.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

yep, thats the exact answer i got aswell. not fair
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
So if you went to Vic or SW and changed Brit license to Oz without any questions then went to Queensland a couple of months after that would you still have to take Queenslands 30 questions or would it then be an automatic question free swop in Queensland .

Hoping to go to Brisbane in the long run but may save all the question answering as have car and bike and hubby has car, bike and HGV.....oh and does the no question thing only apply to Car or HGV as well?
my husband contacted qld regarding the hgv licence, they simply transfer the licence over, no test or anything
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
There's always one

I believe once you have an Aus driving licence another state would not question how you obtained it so it would be a straightforward swap.
The 30 questions referred to were for normal car licence but don't know what is necessary for HGV. Sorry.
You would have to be resident for three months in either Vic or WA in order to get the licence. You can't just visit for the day then go back to QLD with the licence, sorry.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:22 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You would have to be resident for three months in either Vic or WA in order to get the licence. You can't just visit for the day then go back to QLD with the licence, sorry.
I think it is that your Uk licence is only vaild for 3 months once you become resident.
You should be able to give a Vic or WA address & swap them over!

Regards
Mark
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:30 pm
ad4ozz

Would be good if they did just change license over as he will have to do about 60 questions at this rate for all his licenses. Does your hubby drive HGV's for living now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.