Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD - Cold snap sends shivers

QLD - Cold snap sends shivers

Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:03 am
ABCDiamond

Default QLD - Cold snap sends shivers

The sky is blue, the maximum temperature is in the low 20s ... but Queenslanders are complaining.

Despite enjoying a year-round climate most of the world would kill for, a bit of a cold snap sends a shiver through many residents of the Sunshine State.

Overcoats and scarves have come out of mothballs in Brisbane, with commuters heading to work this week with the mercury dipping to an overnight minimum of 7C.

Weather whinges are common as Brisbane residents drag out the winter woollies and stoke up the home fires as they battle a sub-tropical version of the big freeze.

But the Queensland capital was still bathed in sunshine on a cloudless day, with the maximum temperature expected to be 22C.

A burst of southern cold air has been blamed for the latest winter chill, with even far north Queensland experiencing a dip in minimum temperatures.

Normally balmy Cairns has this week recorded 14C, six below its average minimum for the period, and the temperature has dropped as low as 13C at Weipa on Cape York.

West of Brisbane it has been genuinely cold, with the Darling Downs towns of Stanthorpe, Goondiwindi, Oakey and Warwick experiencing near record minimums below freezing.

Senior weather bureau forecaster Manfred Greitschus said the June cold snap was nothing abnormal for Queensland.

"It's just cold dry air coming up from down south," he said.

Even though it has been chilly, there's no chance of snow anywhere at the moment.

And for Brisbane the cold temperatures have been nowhere near the record minimum and maximums for the city.

The record low was 2.3C, set way back in July, 1890.

And the all-time lowest maximum was in August 1954, at 10.2C.

While it has been on the cool side by Queensland standards, hardly a drop of rain has fallen this month in the typical Indian summer conditions.

Queenslanders can just be thankful they still live in a far warmer climate than those residing in the southern states.

Canberrans are accustomed to below freezing night-time temperatures, while the mercury barely gets into the teens during the day.

And in Melbourne and Hobart at this time of year it is not only a lot colder than Queensland but wetter as well.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E1702,00.html

Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: QLD - Cold snap sends shivers

Get up at 4am and it's around 7c.. it was ok this morning , but for the past two weeks it is around 7c when I get up. Hubby went down to Ipswich the other morning on a job - it was 0 in Ipswich apparently.

Yes I'm one of the complainers, but I get up very early morning, when it's still pitch dark - and damned cold. It's only warm during the day.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Sorry me too. Getting up at 6am, not wanting to get out of bed. I have climatised already. Bring on Spring. I have even asked my mother to send winter clothes over. I'm a big girls blouse
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carrianne
Sorry me too. Getting up at 6am, not wanting to get out of bed. I have climatised already. Bring on Spring. I have even asked my mother to send winter clothes over. I'm a big girls blouse
a tip... crazy clarkes - hot water bottles $2 -priceless. and leave your clothes on the floor next to the bed.. so you can dress in bed bit by bit before getting out -Don't worry it won't last long, around the end of August beginning of sept .. it will start to slowly warm up again.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point

how can anyone complain about this weather, it's fantastic, you can get out and do more walking without feeling like a wrung out dishrag, you feel so much better, its great to be putting clothes on and not changing them every five minutes because they are wet and sweaty. Give me this weather over the summer anytime. Hopefully we won't be here when summer does arrive!!!!

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
The sky is blue, the maximum temperature is in the low 20s ... but Queenslanders are complaining.

Despite enjoying a year-round climate most of the world would kill for, a bit of a cold snap sends a shiver through many residents of the Sunshine State.

Overcoats and scarves have come out of mothballs in Brisbane, with commuters heading to work this week with the mercury dipping to an overnight minimum of 7C.

Weather whinges are common as Brisbane residents drag out the winter woollies and stoke up the home fires as they battle a sub-tropical version of the big freeze.

But the Queensland capital was still bathed in sunshine on a cloudless day, with the maximum temperature expected to be 22C.

A burst of southern cold air has been blamed for the latest winter chill, with even far north Queensland experiencing a dip in minimum temperatures.

Normally balmy Cairns has this week recorded 14C, six below its average minimum for the period, and the temperature has dropped as low as 13C at Weipa on Cape York.

West of Brisbane it has been genuinely cold, with the Darling Downs towns of Stanthorpe, Goondiwindi, Oakey and Warwick experiencing near record minimums below freezing.

Senior weather bureau forecaster Manfred Greitschus said the June cold snap was nothing abnormal for Queensland.

"It's just cold dry air coming up from down south," he said.

Even though it has been chilly, there's no chance of snow anywhere at the moment.

And for Brisbane the cold temperatures have been nowhere near the record minimum and maximums for the city.

The record low was 2.3C, set way back in July, 1890.

And the all-time lowest maximum was in August 1954, at 10.2C.

While it has been on the cool side by Queensland standards, hardly a drop of rain has fallen this month in the typical Indian summer conditions.

Queenslanders can just be thankful they still live in a far warmer climate than those residing in the southern states.

Canberrans are accustomed to below freezing night-time temperatures, while the mercury barely gets into the teens during the day.

And in Melbourne and Hobart at this time of year it is not only a lot colder than Queensland but wetter as well.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E1702,00.html
:scared:
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Tapalinga
how can anyone complain about this weather, it's fantastic, you can get out and do more walking without feeling like a wrung out dishrag, you feel so much better, its great to be putting clothes on and not changing them every five minutes because they are wet and sweaty. Give me this weather over the summer anytime. Hopefully we won't be here when summer does arrive!!!!
It's not that bad in the summer

What part of Brisbane are you in ?

Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:27 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

:scared:
Introduce a sweat gland fitness test for Cold Country Colonists?

... the sweat glands must work to produce sweat, which also requires energy and more calories. Studies show a person can burn up to 300 calories during a sauna session, the equivalent of a two-to-three-mile jog or an hour of moderate weight training.

Sweat Your Way To Radiant Health - ABSOLUTELY FREE
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

North of Bris about 25k

It's not that bad in the summer

What part of Brisbane are you in ?
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Sweating in a sauna for 15-20mins is a bit different to sweating 24/7 for 4-5 months of the year. In the winter you put clothes on to keep warm, in the summer you have to put clothes on that cover every part of you skin so that you don't get skin cancer, also if the sun doesn't get you the suncream will !!!!!!!

Originally posted by Megalania
Introduce a sweat gland fitness test for Cold Country Colonists?

... the sweat glands must work to produce sweat, which also requires energy and more calories. Studies show a person can burn up to 300 calories during a sauna session, the equivalent of a two-to-three-mile jog or an hour of moderate weight training.

Sweat Your Way To Radiant Health - ABSOLUTELY FREE
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Sweating in a sauna for 15-20mins is a bit different to sweating 24/7 for 4-5 months of the year. In the winter you put clothes on to keep warm, in the summer you have to put clothes on that cover every part of you skin so that you don't get skin cancer, also if the sun doesn't get you the suncream will !!!!!!!
Yep, yer sweat galnds aren't up to the job. Time to head off.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The sky is blue, the maximum temperature is in the low 20s ... but Queenslanders are complaining.....

Weather whinges are common ...
Those would be the poms who seems to think that as soon as you move to Australia you can throw away every jumper that you ever owned & that nowhere in Australia gets cold.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Those would be the poms who seems to think that as soon as you move to Australia you can throw away every jumper that you ever owned & that nowhere in Australia gets cold.
You mean we NEED jumpers here !!

I'd better dig mine out then, I know I have one somewhere !!

Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You mean we NEED jumpers here !!

I'd better dig mine out then, I know I have one somewhere !!
Haha, even Dagboy has been wearing a jumper this winter, he swears his blood has thinned too much .

There have been a couple of mornings that its been cold & a couple of evenings that we've had the fire going, but not for the last 3 (including tonight). It wasnt that cold even on Saturday night, although everyone complained & came inside to eat, I realised after you had all left that I hadnt even closed the curtains .
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My heart bleeds for the lot of you. End of June, and torrential rain and wind pulling up trees. I am definitely ready for a Queensland winter.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:54 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I, for one, won't be bitching too much about Brisbane's impersonation of winter. I'm looking forward to a winter where it stays above freezing and where I'm don't have to dodge Texans skating about on iced roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.